Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cage recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 03:41 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you mean you should put the padding?

Originally Posted by Nski
Yes will take note of what Steve B said, make sure there's padding when not using a helmet!

Have a look at Heigo, my uncle used a a full heigo cage in his RS touring. Lovely!
Hi Norm!

I followed your other thread, what a thing of beauty .

Anyways, I understand that it is good to put padding on the cage when using the car without a helmet (but also when you have a helmet). What is the reasoning here regarding where to put padding and where not to put it?

I guess there's no point in padding the part of the cage that is behind the seat. Is it smart to put padding on the A-pillars (full cage)? I mean it will limit visibility and the belt will hold you in tight in case of a crash so you will not reach this part. Or is it in case the cage gets bent so that the A-pillar gets close to the head? I don't get it. I agree on the sides on the diagonal bars that you have, that would be a good plave to put padding. What do you guys think? Or just put padding on the whole thing and hold in in place with plastic tie straps?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:08 PM
PehrJ
Advanced

Originally Posted by jamest
... the Heigo was the best in terms of quality, finish and, dare I say it, aesthetics.
+1
Old 07-06-2011, 04:19 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a rear Heigo roll bar/cage in my car, fits perfectly.

I agree with "jamest" heigo bolt in rear cage is a good comprimise.

Think mine was about £5 or 600 delivered, i got mine from heigo in germany.
The sales chap was helpfull and understood my poor english just fine.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:59 AM
GTi451
Track Day

Went through the same and opted for a Heigo half cage. Ordered through FVD beginning of April and showed up second week of June. Looks like a real quality piece. Soon as I can come across some rear seat belt bolts will be getting it in the car.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:59 AM
tat
Advanced

For what it's worth, the Heigo's steel half-cages are FIA certified, so at least some authority believes they're acceptable!

If you go for a full cage, it's generally recommended that 4/5/6 point harnesses are used, to prevent any chance of heads hitting the cage. The cage immediately becomes the hardest thing in the car, and no amount of padding will prevent serious damage in an accident - padding is useful to prevent a helmet being cracked if it hits the bar when the wearer is getting out of the car, but won't add much protection in a crash. If an unprotected head hits a roll bar at speed it'll crack like an egg
Old 07-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by tat
For what it's worth, the Heigo's steel half-cages are FIA certified, so at least some authority believes they're acceptable!

If you go for a full cage, it's generally recommended that 4/5/6 point harnesses are used, to prevent any chance of heads hitting the cage. The cage immediately becomes the hardest thing in the car, and no amount of padding will prevent serious damage in an accident - padding is useful to prevent a helmet being cracked if it hits the bar when the wearer is getting out of the car, but won't add much protection in a crash. If an unprotected head hits a roll bar at speed it'll crack like an egg
Not a particularly nice topic, but currently being discussed here nontheless :

http://www.pistonheads.com/xforums/t...m%3F&mid=51675

Not sure I agree with the comments made about rollcage padding. If the correct FIA approved padding is used it will if nothing else serve to increase the contact area in an impact between a helmet and a roll cage.

As I understand it the FIA approved padding, though it may seem and feel incredibly hard, deforms in a controlled manner that could save a crash helmet being critically damaged in the event of a high speed incident.

And remember there are roll cages and there are roll cages .... modern cages are designed to deform and absorb energy, in the process the car WILL be destroyed (that's a given) but they should prevent serious injury to the occupants of the vehicle :

http://www.rallybuzz.com/allianz-pec...-2009-results/

The likes of a Tequipment or Heigo half cage won't prevent injury in a serious incident, but they may well provide a false sense of security.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:25 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

FIA padding is the only way to go. Padding for plumbing pipes from the DIY store just looks nice but makes no use above 5 km/h.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:04 PM
jamest
Instructor

Originally Posted by Atgani
The likes of a Tequipment or Heigo half cage won't prevent injury in a serious incident, but they may well provide a false sense of security.
I don't understand this, I was under the impression that any roll cage is designed primarily to give protection in the event of the car rolling over. I cannot see how a half cage could not help in this regard, not as much a full cage granted, but surely it is going to be stronger than relying on the A, B and C pillars?

In the event of a front or side impact then, clearly, a half cage will not provide extra strength. However, I believe the objective when designing crash protection systems is to absorb the energy from the impact thereby reducing the rate of deceleration, hence the use of crumple zones. I believe that most serious injuries sustained from impact are due to g loadings on the body when the car comes to a sudden stop rather than crushed body parts. I don't believe that either a full or half cage will help in this regard, in fact you could argue that they make matters worse.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 501 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by jamest
I don't understand this, I was under the impression that any roll cage is designed primarily to give protection in the event of the car rolling over. I cannot see how a half cage could not help in this regard, not as much a full cage granted, but surely it is going to be stronger than relying on the A, B and C pillars?

In the event of a front or side impact then, clearly, a half cage will not provide extra strength. However, I believe the objective when designing crash protection systems is to absorb the energy from the impact thereby reducing the rate of deceleration, hence the use of crumple zones. I believe that most serious injuries sustained from impact are due to g loadings on the body when the car comes to a sudden stop rather than crushed body parts. I don't believe that either a full or half cage will help in this regard, in fact you could argue that they make matters worse.
You've obviously seen the thickness of an early 911 A post. Having a half cage won't improve your chances much (if at all) if the majority of the impact is on the leading edge of the roof and A pillars. However, as I said previously, having a half cage and harnesses might equip you with a false sense of security, and that's a very dangerous thing IMO . . .

I did a few road rallies in the Eighties, no cage, no harnesses and frequently 100+mph down narrow twisty country lanes in the middle of the night on roads that weren't always guaranteed free of traffic . . . .
Seemed fun then, seems suicidal now
Old 07-11-2011, 10:15 AM
jamest
Instructor

Thanks for the reply, I understand what you are saying, the leading edge of the roof is the highest point of the car and therefore most likely to take the force of the impact first. However, I still disagree that there is no safety benefit to using a half cage, I would rather have a half cage than nothing at all in the event of rolling the car, and it also allows secure mounting of harnesses. With regards to it giving a false sense of security, it is the prospect of hitting something solid rather than a roll over that keeps my speed in check on circuit (I drive like an old woman on the road), maybe that means I am not going quick enough!
Old 07-11-2011, 03:12 PM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Have Safety Devices bolt-in. Black with my black carpets blends well. Great finish and fit. Easy add on if you only do half cage and decide to go further down the road.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:51 AM
PehrJ
Advanced

Originally Posted by PehrJ
I´ve been waiting 9 weeks now.
14 weeks of waiting is over!

Quick Reply: Cage recommendations