Sponsored by:

Last Track Day = Super High Oil Temps = New Task

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last Track Day = Super High Oil Temps = New Task

So after a little digging, searching, and trouble shooting, I realized that I am not getting any oil flow towards my cooler. Conclusion: oil thermostat is not working.

So ... here is where I am stuck ...

I can't get the thing out. I took the c-clip off, but now what??? (I have searched around, and if I missed something some where, sorry)

In exchange for all your help and advice, I have included a video of myself spinning out at the track. I do realize I took turn 8 completely wrong, but this is just a warm up lap (first session of the say). Enjoy a laugh on my behalf.

http://youtu.be/qByg4IC6KAU?hd=1

I couldn't figure out how to embed this ...
Old 06-29-2011, 11:48 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have someone stand outside , start up the motor , rev it up , when the person outside screams , turn off the motor .
Old 06-30-2011, 12:02 AM
ja78911sc
Pro

Are you sure that there is not oil flowing to the cooler?

Invest in a laser temp gauge (if you do not own one). Point the laser through the lower front bumper grill on the cooler.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam
Have someone stand outside , start up the motor , rev it up , when the person outside screams , turn off the motor .
I will try that as a last resort ...

Originally Posted by ja78911sc
Are you sure that there is not oil flowing to the cooler?

Invest in a laser temp gauge (if you do not own one). Point the laser through the lower front bumper grill on the cooler.
I'm pretty sure ... I got the car all nice and warmed up and both oil lines going to the front are nice and cool ... Plus, the fender doesn't get warm, which was my first sign ... ALSO, I figured out the relay for the fan is also toast ...

At the track, I couldn't keep the temp below 248 ... ambient temp was 75 to 80
Old 06-30-2011, 12:53 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

You need to install a secondary cooler.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:41 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sub 80F is fine with a properly working stock oil cooling system. Proof is in the cooler not being warm. Not like we haven't visited this problem over the past ~20 years. First t-stat guts I had to replace on a 964 was probably in '93 or '94.

Back to the spin. Was someone in the car with you? If not, given what I saw there in 8 and 9 those were really, really no win errors. Fine if you're going slow. At speed, well, an off on 8 from a poorly set up RSA that bottomed out on me put me so far off I think I only got back on inside the 3 brake marker for 9.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:10 AM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Sooooo, after the c-clip is removed, what do you do next? How do you get the guts out for replacement?

And as for the spin, I wasn't doing anything right at those moments. It was the second lap of the first session of the day. I was just playing around, which ended in a near 360
Old 06-30-2011, 04:29 AM
rollingjack
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look this, same problem:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...tat-cover.html
Old 06-30-2011, 06:53 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Enjoy a laugh on my behalf.

I was just playing around, which ended in a near 360

Paulie, I know this is not the Racing forum, and we do try to bite out tounges here, but...

we do not "fool around" on the track - ever. If you don't put yourself and your own car in danger you run the risk of putting somebody else into a situation from which they cannot recover with grace; even moreso in a DE type event where some folks may not have the wits or experience to recover from a spin in front of them.

Please give this some thought and practice responsible habits from the paddocks out and all the way back in.

Kai
Old 06-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rollingjack
Thanks, I'm not sure how I missed that one. Also, for future searchers, I saw on the pelican forum that some one suggested drilling and using a slide hammer. That makes me more nervous than reving until you hear a scream. Metal shavings in the oil, makes me nervous.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

And KaiB, i thought I would give you your own reply seeing how you got your panites in a bunch over a missunderstanding, perhaps a justifiable one, but a miss understanding nevertheless ...

When I say I was playing around, this doesn't mean that I shot gun a beer and spin around a bat 10 times with my forehead on one end before I head out onto the track. As a person who has had a near fatal accident and tracks his repainted and rebuilt 964, I am fully conscious of safety. Besides, I still have a 3 hour drive home at the end of the day.

Playing around means that I am not dead serious on nailing the fastest lap time of the day, nor am i crazily focused on my line at that moment. Why? Because I am in a point by group, and I am getting the car and myself warmed up. I am simply having fun out there without "seriously racing".
Old 06-30-2011, 12:53 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nor am i crazily focused on my line at that moment. Why? Because I am in a point by group, and I am getting the car and myself warmed up. I am simply having fun out there without "seriously racing".

You just made my point even more valid; nuff said.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

I feel as if there is a disconnect somewhere on your behalf ...

I was neither being wreckless, nor was I putting anyone in danger. I follow all track rules and take everyone's safety, including my own into consideration. Just because I didn't take my warm up lap as you would, doesn't make you superior to me. Not everyone that goes to the track takes the experience to heart. Most of us out there are out to have good clean fun and share the experience. Guess there is always that one guy out there that can't stand other people having a great time. (good thing he is out in Oklahoma)

Perhaps its more of a California thing, but out here, we help each other and give advice with politness, courtesy and respect.

I use this forum as a helpful tool as long as some entertainment. Not to bicker with people from Oklahoma ... if you can't contribute anything other than insults, I suggest you post somewhere else ...

Quick Reply: Last Track Day = Super High Oil Temps = New Task