Sponsored by:

Singer 911 - base most of the future Singer 911 production on the 964 chassis

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 04:19 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
So getting the car to pass is the owner's responsibility I would assume? I have a number of friends who own small consignment shops and others that manage large dealerships. All I hear are issues with modified cars and trying to sell them. One owner said he could not sell a 4.0 if it doesn't comply with all the DOT requirements. He didn't have an answer for me but it threw up a huge ? in his mind.

If I can build a car that will keep up with most anything on the track for about the cost of a nice 20k mile 93-94 964 C2 today and look almost as nice as my 3.6T I can only imagine what I can do with an unlimited budget. 345 BHP on street gas is impressive no doubt and Steve is the man to build it. Most of the 3.8 builds I have seen cost a small fortune and gain very little in comparison to the money spent. I have a friend who is contemplating a build now. I recall Geoffrey's 3.8 RSR build and the car in person was impressive but it was a pure race car and not remotely close to street legal with similar power. My stock 3.6 with tune is seeing 280 ft pounds of torque and 291 hp I have to admit it makes a huge difference the extra power would be very nice especially in a car that weighs 2300 pounds?

In NJ if the car is sold through a dealer it has to meet the original DOT requirements for the MY to be sold that is why I questioned the off road use disclaimer? I know of a nice SC that has SSI boxes on it that the seller wanted to trade in and the dealers all don't want to be bothered since they can't locate original exhaust for the car. So the car can be sold privately at the buyer's risk but trading it in is not an option.

BTW it is coming along nicely and I love the color maybe some updates on the progress?
Thanks...slow and expensive. Working on some functional details. We eliminated the manual hand brake in favor of an electro mechanical one (hot rod). Only issue is that it has about a 3 sec delay to set and unset. Now adding a drag strip rear only push button brake for those hill and parking situations. Working on some front and rear sheet metal too and a host of other things...
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2015, 05:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I'm a big fan of frunk oil cooler systems in 911s to distribute weight. (link to thread: Frunk mounted oil tank (ultimate design?)). My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I read that you integrated the oil tank inside the gas tank. WOW. Please share more details of that impressive unit.
I agree for the older 911's where the oil tank sits behind the rear wheel this is a huge improvement not so sure it would benefit the 964 as much. It would move weight up front but how much would it save in the rear since it isn't hanging out over the rear like the earlier cars?

Originally Posted by 02m2
Thanks...slow and expensive. Working on some functional details. We eliminated the manual hand brake in favor of an electro mechanical one (hot rod). Only issue is that it has about a 3 sec delay to set and unset. Now adding a drag strip rear only push button brake for those hill and parking situations. Working on some front and rear sheet metal too and a host of other things...
I like the idea of an electromechanical parking brake. I eliminated mine so I could use 993RS brakes but it is a dedicated track car and i have no need for one wouldn't use it if it was there other than possibly when trailering.

No wonder this is costing more than a singer to build but it must be nice to play around with different designs like that and change your mind if you don't like the outcome.

BTW was the dyno from an engine dyno or a chassis dyno?
Old 11-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cobalt- I think the angle singer takes is more of a hot rod shop than a dealership..
You already own the car, singer is modifying it. Unless they have a dealership license, in which case yes I agree it would be impossible to sell cars that don't meet my EPA standards.

02m2- impressive build for sure. Love the oil/ gas tank.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:25 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
Cobalt- I think the angle singer takes is more of a hot rod shop than a dealership..
You already own the car, singer is modifying it. Unless they have a dealership license, in which case yes I agree it would be impossible to sell cars that don't meet my EPA standards.

Makes sense. Just assumed they offered tubs for sale as well, my mistake. I will leave that alone but for me that hurts its value if I can't trade it in on something else and have to sell it outright. Sure hurts the tax incentive. I guess if it comes to that I will have to be happy with what I have.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:44 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

oil tank is a slightly modded stock tank in the stock positions for the 72. oil coolers fans are integrated into the gas tank and we have dual coolers in the wheel wells up front.
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2015, 06:49 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

best pic I have of the tank at the moment...
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2015, 06:54 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

I agree for the older 911's where the oil tank sits behind the rear wheel this is a huge improvement not so sure it would benefit the 964 as much. It would move weight up front but how much would it save in the rear since it isn't hanging out over the rear like the earlier cars?

I like the idea of an electromechanical parking brake. I eliminated mine so I could use 993RS brakes but it is a dedicated track car and i have no need for one wouldn't use it if it was there other than possibly when trailering.

No wonder this is costing more than a singer to build but it must be nice to play around with different designs like that and change your mind if you don't like the outcome.

here is what I have:
Old 11-10-2015, 07:26 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Makes sense. Just assumed they offered tubs for sale as well, my mistake. I will leave that alone but for me that hurts its value if I can't trade it in on something else and have to sell it outright. Sure hurts the tax incentive. I guess if it comes to that I will have to be happy with what I have.
i think at that level of the game Singer's customers are probably more worried about gettinge exactly what they want out of the car and less concerned with the tax break of a trade in.
i know for me, id be kinda annoyed by looking at 120,000 mile odometer after dropping that kind of money, but hey thats what the original tub had on it.
meanwhile, your turbo and your c2 are awesome cars. i dont think you should be too hung up on what singer is up to haha
Old 11-10-2015, 10:39 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

I have a 91 C2 that is being converted to something like a longhood RSR with a 4.0 liter motor. If that dyno run up above is at the wheels, that mighty impressive! We have not been able to do anything more than dyno my motor, but we think the headers may be costing us some horsepower, but as it sits mine made 292 HP to the wheels. We used 993 Cup injectors and fuel pumps, custom grind cams and head work and the FVD Fuel/air unit etc, etc... Another 12-15% out of a 3.8 is awesome!

Old 11-11-2015, 09:26 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

i think at that level of the game Singer's customers are probably more worried about gettinge exactly what they want out of the car and less concerned with the tax break of a trade in.
i know for me, id be kinda annoyed by looking at 120,000 mile odometer after dropping that kind of money, but hey thats what the original tub had on it.
meanwhile, your turbo and your c2 are awesome cars. i dont think you should be too hung up on what singer is up to haha
I'm always curious. Never looked so closely at the details sometimes I am a bit slow on the uptake.

02m2 Like the fuse box upgrade. I forgot yours was a 72 with the oil tank in the same place as the 964 with remote filler. Hard parts to find lately.

Originally Posted by bogey1
I have a 91 C2 that is being converted to something like a longhood RSR with a 4.0 liter motor. If that dyno run up above is at the wheels, that mighty impressive! We have not been able to do anything more than dyno my motor, but we think the headers may be costing us some horsepower, but as it sits mine made 292 HP to the wheels. We used 993 Cup injectors and fuel pumps, custom grind cams and head work and the FVD Fuel/air unit etc, etc... Another 12-15% out of a 3.8 is awesome!

Looking good; it has been a while, was curious how the build was going. This will be quite a change for you considering you last monster, looking forward to seeing the end result.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:40 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

The odometer is zero'd out.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LPMM
The odometer is zero'd out.
So that leads me back to the same question? How can they sell these as new cars with a zeroed out odo if they are only modifying an existing car?

Nothing against the singer just curious how they can get away with what others cannot? Or is there some paperwork stating the original mileage and speedo change?
Old 11-11-2015, 11:10 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

So that leads me back to the same question? How can they sell these as new cars with a zeroed out odo if they are only modifying an existing car?

Nothing against the singer just curious how they can get away with what others cannot? Or is there some paperwork stating the original mileage and speedo change?
Technically, they don't sell these as new cars but rather as customer cars being restored, reimagined and reborn as they put it (although if it were me, I'd reimagine it before restoring it ). Singer is not a manufacturer, just a "restoration shop". Same as you local mechanic if you think about it, just a lot more expensive.

Here is the disclaimer on their site:
Singer Vehicle Design (SVD or Singer) restores and modifies existing Porsche® automobiles for its customers. Singer does not manufacture or sell automobiles. [...] The product of Singer’s painstaking effort is a Porsche 911® restored and reimagined by Singer.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

So basically the title and registration on the car are in the owner's name before Singer takes the car and does their $400k tune-up.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:15 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Here is the e brake set up. we are working on locking the drag strip button brake.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Singer 911 - base most of the future Singer 911 production on the 964 chassis