Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slow-time 89 C4 project

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 02:55 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not really 964 related but I threw a new workbench together today from some scrap lying around - total cost £0

To make a little more space in the garage its sized to take 4 spare wheels underneath.

From the front it looks like it might be a bit flimsy, I didn't have quite enough material to add all the bracing I'd intended, but actually its nice and solid thanks to plyboard sides and back.
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by alexjc4
not really 964 related but I threw a new workbench together today from some scrap lying around - total cost £0

To make a little more space in the garage its sized to take 4 spare wheels underneath.

From the front it looks like it might be a bit flimsy, I didn't have quite enough material to add all the bracing I'd intended, but actually its nice and solid thanks to plyboard sides and back.
Serious garage envy Alex
Old 07-20-2011, 09:00 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

shortly there'll be some posts about fitting my new bilstein sport shocks and h&r springs to the 964, but before that I thought I'd share some pics of the car that's currently taking up space in the garage.

1992 Nissan Skyline R32 GTSt (straight 6, 24 valve 2.0l single turbo) pictured on track at the old Snetterton circuit. Factory 210bhp, gently modified and mapped by me ~270bhp at the flywheel on low boost (the dyno plot below is from a chassis dyno so its shown at the hubs). It's a couple of hundred kilos lighter than the 964 and so a little faster. The main difference between the two is that the heads it turns are twenty years younger than those turned by the 964.
Attached Images  

Last edited by alexjc4; 10-25-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:27 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Bilstein sports, H&R Blues, 21mm rear ARB all now fitted.

Camber checked: 1deg front, .5deg rear. Which will do until I get it geo-ed properly.

Results: much lighter on its feet mid corner than before. Slightly disconcerting at the moment, as I have got used to the secure feel of the stock handling. But it is fairly neutural I think so I think I will get used to it.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:32 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

In addition to the suspension jobs I needed to address a nasty gemlin in the abs. I had cause to do a couple of emergency stops just recently, I noticed that shortly after the abs kicked in the brake effect reduced substantially, making for very log stopping distances. After some reading around on here I self diagnosed faulty accelerometers. So I pulled them today and sure enough both were clogged with iron filings, some careful cleaning and they are now moving freely again and a quick test drive confirms normal service is resumed.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bilstein sports, H&R Blues, 21mm rear ARB all now fitted.

Camber checked: 1deg front, .5deg rear. Which will do until I get it geo-ed properly.

Results: much lighter on its feet mid corner than before. Slightly disconcerting at the moment, as I have got used to the secure feel of the stock handling. But it is fairly neutural I think so I think I will get used to it.
In addition to the suspension jobs I needed to address a nasty gemlin in the abs. I had cause to do a couple of emergency stops just recently, I noticed that shortly after the abs kicked in the brake effect reduced substantially, making for very log stopping distances. After some reading around on here I self diagnosed faulty accelerometers. So I pulled them today and sure enough both were clogged with iron filings, some careful cleaning and they are now moving freely again and a quick test drive confirms normal service is resumed.
Have to say you were looking very sharp with that new stance on Sunday! Was going to get some rear shots of you at speed... but the battery died! Next time!
Old 08-08-2011, 01:02 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Thanks chap, kind of you to say so. I do ache all over from the effort getting the suspension finished on saturday night, but sunday was such a great day out it was well worth it.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:39 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Just a little job this weekend, new 993 engine mounts, little bit of an expensive whim that one, since I'm not 100% sure my old ones were shot. The drivers side one had twice the gap of the passenger side one so I guess that means one or both were worn out. . .
Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Right, fast-forward 18 months:
  • Few thousand miles
  • Couple of track days
  • Cup 1's fitted with some track day rubber
  • Engine drop under my belt for a new clutch and sundry seals and assorted do-hickeys and thing-ums.

Then ...
  • Got tired of fighting a loosing battle against water ingress
  • Got worried by a cracked h/e flange
  • Lost sleep over expanding rust spots
  • Annoyed by spreading micro blisters

Dropped the car into Nine Excellence on Jan 7th. The idea being to do a full respray, rust remedy, new exhaust flange welded on and a geo tweak - all to then have the car back by end of Jan in time for a couple of shakedown track days and some time for me to do some maintenance prior to Spa.

Didn't quite go that way as the bodyshop only really got started in the last week of Jan and the car ended up needing to got back to metal pretty much all over. The bonnet was too lumpy to rescue (replacement kindly provided by Freedman) and the passenger wing (fender to our colonial friends) was more filler than metal (provided somewhat pricely second hand off ebay, as porsche had no stock and no delivery date). The 964 rear quarter glass wouldn't play with the 993 rubbers. The rear wiper snapped in the process of refitting. The rear bumper support brackets sheared of with the bolts needing a egregiously expensive replacement from Porsche. Probably plenty more that I didn't even get to hear about.... on the up side the rust didn't turn out to be too bad!

By the time the car did get back to 9e it was in a queue of 964s which had formed behind a certain blue 964 (no names mentioned, cough, James), which shall we say was proving a challenge.

Then when it did finally get its turn the exhaust welding required the h/e removing which only gave up the fight along with 8 exhaust manifold sheared studs! As you'd expect of course 50% of the electrics on the car went fuzt during the intervening period. Oh and the factory decat pipe's flange was just bad enough to warrant a shiny 9e replacement.

Running close to the wire I asked 9e to bleed the brakes and fit some H&R roll bars to go with the improved geo (interestingly James pretty much concurred with the settings that came out of recent discussion amongst the C4 crew on this board).

I've now picked the car up with 1 clear day before leaving for Spa, which is running closer than I'd ever want. It's a bit dark out now to call it on the paint job but indications are good. The suspension setup along with the H&R ARBs has transformed the car.

The bill is impressive, though the bodywork was a fixed price and very reasonable for the effort that has gone in, so real the damage was mostly unexpected parts (~£2k) and labour on the exhaust stud removal and the few bits I'd normally have done myself (~£1k).

Couple of remaining bits that will go back to the bodyshop after spa:
  • Passenger door and maybe front wing need aligning better.
  • Rear spoiler has an ugly bit of touch up paint applied where the mopping got a bit enthusiastic and burnt through.
  • The mop has left some micro swirls which max polish and wax out - or not.

Other bits:
  • Sunroof has had a tantrum and possibly snapped a cable.
  • Brake pedal seems a bit soft but then i don't think it was that hard to start with - just after 3 months I can't decide if it is significantly worse.
  • After 3 months of driving something with ~150bhp more power the old 964 seems a little asthmatic.

Pics imminent (hopefully more to follow)
Old 03-20-2013, 05:47 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Pas door in primer

Drivers door in primer

And painted

Old 03-20-2013, 05:49 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Nasty fender (can't really see the worst of the filler - 1/4 inch at least all over)

Nice fenders in primer

And in paint

Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

We are both indebted to James & Ken at 9e, over and above the call of duty with all hours and two weekends solid to get us to Spa. Your car looks fab, I'm looking forward to sharing a cold beer with you, Ken and James
Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Rust remedy/repairs

Old 03-20-2013, 05:54 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

rear lid and bonnet

Old 03-20-2013, 05:57 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rephlex
We are both indebted to James & Ken at 9e, over and above the call of duty with all hours and two weekends solid to get us to Spa. Your car looks fab, I'm looking forward to sharing a cold beer with you, Ken and James
Damn right! They're nearly there, just got to get their car ready now!

This evening they had the haunted yet joyful look of men that had just heard news that a long and bloody war was over and they could now go back to their normal lives. Great effort!

Quick Reply: slow-time 89 C4 project