Sponsored by:

Thought I had fixed my hesitation problem, advice please

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Snowhead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought I had fixed my hesitation problem, advice please

I have had a slight hesitation problem @ 2000 revs and having researched the topic, I replaced the DME (no change) checked the distributor belt (intact). Cleaned the AMF and ISV (no change). Checked the coils by swapping coil leads and igniter switches and found one ran rough. I swapped out the suspect coil (from a friends 964/C4) and the car ran much better but still had a slight hesitation. On a drive tonight the car after a 10 min drive suddenly started hunting, and wouldn't idle and kept stalling and I couldn't drive any further. The car will idle on either distributor/coil on its own (1 better than the other but when the 2 are hooked up it wont run and seems as if it is running on half the cylinders. Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated, ( I hope its something simple)

Last edited by Snowhead; 06-14-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

mist the engine and check for arcing in a dark garage. Also double check that all leads on both distributor caps are on the correct (OEM Beru's are numbered) contact and pressed down snugly.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, check and make sure that the gas pedal isn't stuck on the floor mat, not allowing t to come all the way up. Mine did that one time when I put new floor mats in. Don't think that it would cause the hesitation, but it can cause the stalling/idle issues. Also try a throttle adaption. Check the alternator output, and the battery. Low voltage can cause some of the symptoms that you are seeing too.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:02 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you checked that the AFM connector is not contacting metal bits in the back of the airbox?

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/images/b...0590geolab.pdf
Old 06-09-2011, 10:49 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Save yourself lots of hours of troubleshooting and misery and replace the coils and plug wires if that has not been done. You will not regret it!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Any fault codes from reading the CEL?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Snowhead
Intermediate

The afm wire has been tied back with a cable tie as per the TSB and the breather pipe pushed back, so I dont think that is the problem. I did have a look inside the AMF and the tracks all seemed fine with no pitting. I dodnt have a CEL so I may have to have the car put on a trailer to a local Porsche speciaist to put it on the hammer. Its really weird though as to why it will idle on either distributor but hunts and stalls when both are connected. Any other thoughts before I push it over a cliff.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:19 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Is it possible that the distributor belt skipped a tooth, so that they aren't firing the plugs at the same time?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Snowhead
Intermediate

I had thought of that as a possibility. How would you check this?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:18 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

When rebuilding the distributor, you need to align the rotors of each distributor to marks on the case. You should see them with the distributor caps off. So, you'll have to rotate the rotors to these locations in order to determine that they are both aligned with respect to each other. And the only way that I know to move them manually, is to rotate the engine (which is difficult to do with the spark plugs in, due to compression).
Old 06-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This doesn't cost anythng and is quick and easy to do (plus, it might solve your problems): Remove negative battery cable both at the battery and the chassis. Clean all connections thoroughly. Reinstall. These cars (most cars) don't react well unless getting full voltage, and in my experience German cars for some reason are highly susceptible to corrosion at electrical connections.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Snowhead
Intermediate

I'm heading to the garage tomorrow, and will try all the suggestions and report back. Thanks to all who have contributed, much appreciated.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:46 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

How old is your lambda sensor? It can give you all kinds of strange behaviour like hesitation, power gaps, rough idle. Easy to changhe and cheaper than plug wires.

Thomas

Quick Reply: Thought I had fixed my hesitation problem, advice please