Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi I'm new, first Porsche and I love it (few updates)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:48 PM
porscheforfun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you ask around somebody will trade for a stock exhaust , there are always those that wont that growling sound . It could be a straight trade. Nice 964 looks good!!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:42 AM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

welcome to Rennlist and SF ... make sure you crest over hills before stopping to spare your clutch!

Since the weather is picking up, take a drive down to Four Corners and pit stop for a burger at Alice's (no affiliation, yada yada)... take 280 south, exit Woodside (Hwy 84). Going right takes you through the twisties towards Alice's, left can lead you to Kings 76 gas station where you can buy 100 octane for that extra pull.

See you around ...
Old 05-27-2011, 05:11 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by paveltchour

Oh yeah, bushings in the front. On the highway, the car feels like it floats around, not sure if it's normal but I think some poly bushings will fix that problem entirely.
If the bushings are original, yes changing them should help but the biggest effect on how a 964 tracks at speed is the geo. Get it checked out and set to the correct spec. Caster, in particular, has a huge effect on how the front end feels. Get it right and it should feel really planted.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:38 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Beautiful car - probably my favorite 964 color right now, and looks especially great with the window tint. The smoked corners are too much IMO... but you're in CA, so it may be me that doesn't know what cool looks like.

Good luck with the audio. If you're an audiophile, this may not be the car for you. Unless you're an audiophile like me, and want the purest, cleanest, clearest, most exhilerating music in your ears - then I'd suggest the RS door panels and carpet; remove engine insulation; cat bypass; you've already got the cup pipe; and RS or Wevo motor mounts. Now THAT's music!

Last edited by RSAErick; 05-27-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:46 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So where are you located? Did stead in WC have this? I grew up within walking distance.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:31 PM
rarebear
Racer

Congrats ! your 964 looks really great ! I bought my 964 c2 after years of searching for a good one ( the search was good fun as well, unbelievable how these cars differ in driving , some are swines and some don't have the bite you want). But every time I have driven my c2 I get out with a silly grin....its a car you put on Not just sit in it...
Old 05-27-2011, 07:16 PM
paveltchour
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Oh no it's definitely not just you, the mrs knows that all conversations must come to an abrupt holt when the sunroof and both windows open as a tunnel appears

g-pipe and cat by pass - I'm childish
Hah! I think all car guys do this, every opportunity to hear the car - windows down pedal to the floor. A few years ago I had a turbo 240sx, and I still dream of the nights sliding on mountain roads and hearing the turbo and the blow-off valve going off.

Originally Posted by ACSGP
Congrats & welcome.

Couple of thoughts on your upgrades:

1. Brakes - change the hoses to braided stainless steel first, and flush out the old fluid. If the bite still isn't up to what you want, change the pads. The brakes on the 964 are great in OEM form.

2. The Porsche Classic radio is very Euro-centric. I checked with the Porsche AG people, and apparently it's not recommended for use in Asia where I am.

If you're an audiophile, and have to change your amp and speakers, try this as your start point. Expensive, but well worth it, IMO:

Great review:
http://caraudiomag.com/articles/pioneer-dex-p99rs
Thanks! This weekend will be my "learn the car" weekend, going to jack her up and check out exactly what I bought.
1. I'm getting used to the brakes already, all my friends tell me that P-cars just have that feel. I'll take a look at SS lines. Would you recommend any good online store to buy 964 parts? I searched but couldn't find anything really good.

2. I just love the way that deck looks, I'm actually not a big audio guy, but ATM the speakers are just horrible, I'd rather listen to a civic with a 4" exhaust than to the current stereo setup

Originally Posted by porscheforfun
If you ask around somebody will trade for a stock exhaust , there are always those that wont that growling sound . It could be a straight trade. Nice 964 looks good!!
Good to know. I think there might actually be an exhaust leak which is what's causing this frustration. I'll be able to tell this weekend once I buy some tools and a good jack (I hate starting from scratch... I have every tool I ever need in Canada...)

Originally Posted by Paulie964
welcome to Rennlist and SF ... make sure you crest over hills before stopping to spare your clutch!

Since the weather is picking up, take a drive down to Four Corners and pit stop for a burger at Alice's (no affiliation, yada yada)... take 280 south, exit Woodside (Hwy 84). Going right takes you through the twisties towards Alice's, left can lead you to Kings 76 gas station where you can buy 100 octane for that extra pull.

See you around ...
Does the clutch on a 911 wear faster than other cars? I'm being so careful not to ride it.

Thanks for the heads up! I was wondering where I can buy better gas...

I'm actually living and working in Santa Clara. Are there any meets that take place in SF area?

Originally Posted by boxsey911
If the bushings are original, yes changing them should help but the biggest effect on how a 964 tracks at speed is the geo. Get it checked out and set to the correct spec. Caster, in particular, has a huge effect on how the front end feels. Get it right and it should feel really planted.
Great advice! Got any recommendations on a reputable shop in SF area?

Originally Posted by RSAErick
Beautiful car - probably my favorite 964 color right now, and looks especially great with the window tint. The smoked corners are too much IMO... but you're in CA, so it may be me that doesn't know what cool looks like.

Good luck with the audio. If you're an audiophile, this may not be the car for you. Unless you're an audiophile like me, and want the purest, cleanest, clearest, most exhilerating music in your ears - then I'd suggest the RS door panels and carpet; remove engine insulation; cat bypass; you've already got the cup pipe; and RS or Wevo motor mounts. Now THAT's music!
hah! Been there, done that, this is my daily so I don't think I want to go that far. I don't normally listen to music, but when I do it better be okay. I feel like I should post a Dos Equis guy here...

Originally Posted by stevepaa
So where are you located? Did stead in WC have this? I grew up within walking distance.
I'm in Santa Clara, but the guy who owned it before me had it up in Walnut Creek - so to answer your question, must be the same car.

Originally Posted by rarebear
Congrats ! your 964 looks really great ! I bought my 964 c2 after years of searching for a good one ( the search was good fun as well, unbelievable how these cars differ in driving , some are swines and some don't have the bite you want). But every time I have driven my c2 I get out with a silly grin....its a car you put on Not just sit in it...
Thanks! I'm definitely happy with it.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Welcome to Porsche ownership and Rennlist.

I would not spend a lot of money on the audio system. Its takes a lot of cash to hear quality music over the sound of that flat six hanging out back

Drive the car, read all you can and start making that list of what you want to do with the car. If you need ANY help on the modifications feel free to let us spend your money.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:32 AM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Porsche clutches don't wear faster (as far as I know), but starting on hills in SF definitely puts wear on a clutch that is expensive to replace. Cresting over before you stop makes a huge difference.

9 gallons of 100 octane and 11 gallons of 91 = 95 octane

As for meets, I've thought about posting up a thread to get a few folks together, hopefully take a cruise. I'm just not sure how many people are in the SF bay area that are willing to meet...

Not trying to take over this thread, but are there any SF bay area folks out there?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:54 AM
paveltchour
Advanced

Made some progress with the car today. The seller told me that the car was equipped with Bilstein coil-overs. Turns out that it uses Bilstein struts, Eibach Pro Kit springs and some sort of aftermarket 3-way adjustable sway bars.

Can someone tell me what these sway bars are??
Name:  V8P8y.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  144.3 KB
Name:  ONYPn.jpg
Size:  116.0 KB

Then I started working on the grill. There are some specific clips that I will have to order from porsche (had to break them to remove the under-tray...)

Before:
Name:  gWooS.jpg
Size:  107.7 KB

After:
Name:  5FWRe.jpg
Size:  152.2 KB

Final Result:
Name:  pfwhq.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  132.9 KB

Then I spent the next 6 hours waxing her and then removing the damn wax... Never using turtle was again, it was just impossible to remove...

This is the final result, will take better pictures tomorrow - going cruzing through some of the recommended roads. (Thanks Paulie964!)
Name:  YXgwD.jpg
Size:  136.6 KB

Name:  IOuYa.jpg
Size:  121.8 KB
Old 05-29-2011, 07:33 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can we lose the window tint?
Old 05-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Pochi.X
Advanced

Oh my, you're gonna make me cry.

Now to achieve my dream of owning one, gotta work hard to earn the money to buy and maintain one! (I am 23 years old kiddo!)
Old 05-29-2011, 01:46 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Great job fixing the frown. Beautiful car! Stll not a big fan of the smoke tail lights, but I think the window tint is fine.

Not sure which sway bar that is - does it have a part number listed anywhere? Nice to have an adjustable front sway! Is the rear sway stock? Looks like it's set to the middle setting. I often read that those with the 5-way adjustables use the loosest setting to dial out the inherent understeer of the stock setup. Your results may vary, but probably best to find out how the car behaves at the limit on the track.

I used to have the Eibach's on my 964. I think that the shock/spring combo should be good for street performance use; and adequate for DE use - as long as the condition of the shocks are good.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice job, nice car. Welcome!
Old 05-29-2011, 02:11 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

She is a beauty !! Welcome !!

Quick Reply: Hi I'm new, first Porsche and I love it (few updates)