1st time autocross with the C4

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:35 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
Default 1st time autocross with the C4

Hey folks,
Had a very fun Sunday putting the 964 to work with the NCR PCA region. Sadly, my times were toward the bottom of the heap for all the classes. But for my first autocross in ~6 years, my first outing in a 911, and riding on 400 treadwear all-seasons, it could have been much worse.

In my class I had a very seriously prepared RS America (taking me by around 6 seconds out of 90), three 3.2 Carreras that also looked pretty well prepped (about 4-5sec faster), and a C2 with a little prep driven by a 1st-time autocrosser. I think that I could have dropped another second relatively easily, more than that and I'd really be working for it.

The C4 performed surprisingly well. I'm in the "prepared" class due to H&R+Bilstein combo. I was very surprised at just how neutral the C4 was - no catastrophic understeer that I anticipated. It must be dialed out by some combination of the 225/255 f/r tires on 7.5/9" wheels and -2* front camber and stock rear (couldn't get any less in the front at the ride height). I chalked the tires and was getting roll-over just to the arrows on the sidewall - 35.5F psi and 42R cold, I think they went up about 4psi hot (Yoko S.4 tires).

Tires are my biggest preparation killer (oh yeah, and seat time/skill!). I'm thinking about mounting a set of Hancook Ventus R-S3 tires for rest of the season so the car's prep won't be holding me back from the pack. The 140 treadwear Hancook's will let me avoid installing a rollbar in the cab per the rules for NCR. I'm happy with the all-seasons for street driving. Thinking of picking up a strut brace too since they're cheap, class legal, and it can only help the cab.

Didn't take much for photos, but I'll post a couple in a bit. Next event is 6/4 (my birthday in fact) and I hope to see some more 964 competition!

Cheers,
nick
Old 05-24-2011, 03:53 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Sounds like you had a great time!
Good to hear you didn't have horrible understeer...

Have you read the article titled "Wring out the Carrera 4"?

Two articles at the bottom of the page: http://www.porsche964.nl/reviews/964-1992.php
Old 05-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Nick sounds like it was a good time! I've never tried Auto-X but am curious about it once my car is finished. Pics would be great if you have any!
Old 05-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Nick - It was great to meet you on Sunday. We had the red 964 coupe. Are you going to the next one in June 4th? Loralyn and I will be.

By the way, I forgot to tell you that your center brake light bulb is out.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:39 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Hey Rob, nice to put a face to a screen name! Great meeting you and Loralyn. I will be there 6/4, will you be driving too?

Jetta- have read those articles multiple times! I think that I could have certainly made up some time by trusting the brakes to slow me down before turning-in much more than I was. The article's toss&catch approach is probably much more useful on the track where you have a straight on either side of an apex. I definitely have a long road ahead before I know what I'm doing out there.

Axeman- no reason not to get out there and do it! It's the cheapest way to burn off some tire rubber and not get arrested.

Here are the official pics (notice Rob's groovy black RS headlight surrounds) -
http://www.ncr-pca.org/coppermine/th....php?album=128

Oh yeah- blasted brake light! I think that I replaced that one just a few years ago...
Old 05-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
Hey Rob, nice to put a face to a screen name! Great meeting you and Loralyn. I will be there 6/4, will you be driving too?

Here are the official pics (notice Rob's groovy black RS headlight surrounds) -
http://www.ncr-pca.org/coppermine/th....php?album=128
Will I be driving at the next event? Not sure. I want to keep Loralyn going. Once she's comfortable, I will start driving too.

Personally I don't like the look of the black headline trim rings. I installed H4's over the winter and haven't had time to get them painted. I love the H4's.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice.

I'm probably going to autocross my C2 in the next month or so. I've been heavily autocrossing my front wheel drive Toyota for several years, but i'm pretty sure autocrossing the C2 is going to be a whole other animal. I'm also expecting the massive understeer since the car has the stock 90k+ mile suspension.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

on the Hankooks ... I LOVE mine
Old 05-25-2011, 01:52 AM
falcor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vandit
Nice.

I'm probably going to autocross my C2 in the next month or so. I've been heavily autocrossing my front wheel drive Toyota for several years, but i'm pretty sure autocrossing the C2 is going to be a whole other animal. I'm also expecting the massive understeer since the car has the stock 90k+ mile suspension.
Coming from a overpowered front wheel drive VW I find it pretty easy to come to grips with my C2. (never really driven anything RWD before) Done two autocross/slalom events so far, first time in september last year, cold and wet but very very good for learning the car. In the wet it felt like it signaled quite clearly when it was aproaching the limit and when I felt it start to get out of shape jabbing the throttle settled it down.

That said I also think how you will experience it depends on your driving style.
But still...go do it! it's fun and you learn alot about your car!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been autocrossing my '90 C2 since 1999....in SCCA Stock classes (and occasional PCA events) with no mods, other than tires and alignment. I currently run Yokohama AD08's in the Street Tire Class.
This is an outstanding tire. I used to run R tires, both Hoosier and Kumho, but as I got older I got tired of changing wheels/tires before events. The AD08's are surprisingly close to R tires, particularly when it comes to initial turn-in and steering response.
One of the best things you can do initially is to get the car corner-balanced and aligned to RS specs.

Quick Reply: 1st time autocross with the C4