Bad groaning noise coming from RR wheel area

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 02:30 AM
ketel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad groaning noise coming from RR wheel area

Gang,

I noticed an eerie noise the other day that seems to be coming from my RR wheel area. I first noticed it doing a sharp u-turn. It has only gotten more noticeable. It varies in intensity but is really noticeable when turning the wheel.

The noise is a groaning or grinding noise, like a low pitched dentist drill. I hear it when the vehicle is stationary and, as I said, especially when turning the wheel. Obviously, I am not confident driving it in this state.

Some background, last time I had the vehicle up on a lift I noticed the RR rubber wheel boot was torn. I am thinking this might be related?

I haven't done any diagnosing yet, but could it be either wheel bearings or a diff problem? What about a leak of some kind? Anyway, I'd love some thoughtful input.

Much appreciated.

ketel
Old 05-24-2011, 08:17 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Or the power steering pump due to low fluid... check that first.

If the CVJ boot was torn, you might have found the issue already. Take out that shaft and replace the CVJs. Pack those CVJ with good grease before install. You will find it to be one of the measiest job ever done... I still have grease from the last time I did the ones in my 951...and that was more than 10 years ago,
Old 05-24-2011, 08:27 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Check your tire pressure and wheel lug torque too. Eliminate the easy to fix items before doing the more expensive/labor intensive repairs. But I agree, it sounds like a bad CV or wheel bearing.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:30 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Or the power steering pump due to low fluid... check that first.

If the CVJ boot was torn, you might have found the issue already. Take out that shaft and replace the CVJs. Pack those CVJ with good grease before install. You will find it to be one of the measiest job ever done... I still have grease from the last time I did the ones in my 951...and that was more than 10 years ago,
+1
Old 05-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Rob in Oz
Instructor

Originally Posted by ketel
Gang,

I noticed an eerie noise the other day that seems to be coming from my RR wheel area. I first noticed it doing a sharp u-turn. It has only gotten more noticeable. It varies in intensity but is really noticeable when turning the wheel.

The noise is a groaning or grinding noise, like a low pitched dentist drill. I hear it when the vehicle is stationary and, as I said, especially when turning the wheel. Obviously, I am not confident driving it in this state.

Some background, last time I had the vehicle up on a lift I noticed the RR rubber wheel boot was torn. I am thinking this might be related?

I haven't done any diagnosing yet, but could it be either wheel bearings or a diff problem? What about a leak of some kind? Anyway, I'd love some thoughtful input.

Much appreciated.

ketel
If it makes the noise when stationary as you say, that eliminates whel bearing/CV/wheel issues - they can only occur when the car is moving. The fact that the noise increases when you turn the steering wheel while stationary would make me bet on the power steering pump, as suggested above.

Rob
Old 05-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Brandon-FL
Advanced

Any red or pink drips or spots on your garage floor? Might want to check the steering rack boots for any fluid leaks and check the hoses and clamps at the reservoir. Clean everything before you add fluid and if you have a leak it should show up pretty quickly.

I had a leaky hose between the reservoir and the pump and my car started to groan going up the levels of the parking garage at the office. The sound was pretty scary, but an easy fix.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:09 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree about the power steering pump due to low fluid.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:02 PM
ketel
Advanced

Thanks for the advice. I have noticed some drips toward the front of the vehicle. Hoping this is the culprit as the other alternatives get much more expensive.

Any recommendations on good power steering fluid that I can get at a Kragen's etc? Given time sensitivity, I won't be able to order the spendy stuff from Pelican parts, etc.

ketel
Old 05-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by ketel
Thanks for the advice. I have noticed some drips toward the front of the vehicle. Hoping this is the culprit as the other alternatives get much more expensive.

Any recommendations on good power steering fluid that I can get at a Kragen's etc? Given time sensitivity, I won't be able to order the spendy stuff from Pelican parts, etc.

ketel
Look... it all depends on where the leak is coming from. Most common (and cheap) place is from one of the two hoses from the canister to the pump (can be seen from inside the engine bay). One hose is easy to replace the other one requires a bit more work to replace.

Worst case scenario... leak is from the steering rack and you will need a rebuilt unit... so start with the easy option first.

Either way, make sure you remove the drive shaft and at least clean and repack the CVJ with good grease or you will be looking at a more expensive repair if you have to replace the CVJ. At this point you might be able to save them and will only cost you a new boot, grease, and your time.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:52 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

dont use power steering fluid. It uses Dexron 3 or better auto transmission fluid.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by jimq
dont use power steering fluid. It uses Dexron 3 or better auto transmission fluid.
+1 What ^ he said.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It may be called DEX/MERC, this stuff should be at Kragen
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2011, 11:43 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

....I had the same problem.
I use Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I use Penzoil's Dextron VI

Old 05-25-2011, 06:35 PM
nvrlft
Instructor

Cycling the power steering fluid (aka ATF) is never a bad idea. I pump a quart or two through the system when changing the oil. With a 20+ year old system it certainly can't hurt to have fresh clean fluid. FWIW, I use the Castrol equivalent.

Quick Reply: Bad groaning noise coming from RR wheel area