Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:04 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Look, this whole thing is simply as I stated (though not so specifically) in my earlier post--the "problems" this car has are mostly to do with who has had his hands in it. No way, no how does a sub-150K aluminum engine car need internal engine work to this extent because of its design or factory build. My customer count between the two shops I owned is north of 500 911s. Granted, I got out post-law school when 964s were new. You can extrapolate from the SC/Carrera/930 engines, however. I had five 3.6L track cars I maintained in the early '90s; and no matter what abuse we threw at them, zero problems from design. Overheating, multiple repair of non-head gasket engines (one owner was a mess with shifting), you name it.

This car comes down to suspect maintenance, no matter what the service records say. And if it's entrusted for a "rebuild" from the same place that did the prior maintenance...........well, best of luck.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Guy what shop are you using for the rebuild????

Why have you as of yet not told us???
He did tell us at some point in this thread, and no it isn't the shop that was used by the previous owner. I googled it, and it did have a couple Pcars for sale, but I wouldn't have let them change my oil.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:32 PM
stinkydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GuyMonnin
It can't keep up with a vette, a 335i, a maxima, a mustang, a Hyundai G for that matter. Not my opinion, just the way it is. Less the Hyundai and maxima (maxima maybe), not even same year to same year.
You're completely full of crap. But since you're just trolling, I won't waste my time posting the facts.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:09 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

I wonder why Guy didn't just buy one of those other cars?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

at this point, I totally wish he did
Old 05-23-2011, 02:18 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

lol laker i think we all do!! That way he can be on any other forum calling their cars junk!!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
I wonder why Guy didn't just buy one of those other cars?
There are wonderful expressions - 'Aspirational buyer' / 'Status symbol' / 'Fan boy'.

At one stage he wanted to stick the 'Turbo' script on the back of his car... look at the size of the wing... the whole story and attitude put together just paints a portrait.

He probably has "authentic corinthian columns" framing his house's front door!

Also found his next car ( Don't tell him it's a fake and wasn't really owner by Schumacher. )...

Attached Images     

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 05-23-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:46 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Trust me, I wouldn't ask for your advice on a bet. All you old men can get back to your card game and laughing at those who are new to your income level, bought a Porsche, and actually expected it to perform at under 80k on the clock. Stupid Newbie... Don't expect this car to be engineered to stand the test of time and actually run without leaking oil all over the engine and parking lot! It's only the most evolved car on the planet! Porsche is also the most profitable auto manufacturer on the planet...hmmm. I am going to stubbornly get this new hobby put back together and drive it with a smile. Maybe if I put 3/4 the purchase price into the simple flat six, it will reward me with a few seasons and a few thousand miles of driving before the
next major rebuild. I expected more. It can't keep up with a vette, a 335i, a maxima, a mustang, a Hyundai G for that matter. Not my opinion, just the way it is. Less the Hyundai and maxima (maxima maybe), not even same year to same year.

Like I said and you already know, it does have a very special appeal. I just wish part of it was solid engineering that stands the test of time. Take care. I have checks to write...
You realy don't know these cars if you feel a maxima or Hyundai can outperform a 911. Whatever little credibility you had is lost around here with comments like that.

My C2 can easily outrun and out handle most any of the new versions of the cars you mentioned on the track and there wouldn't be enough time to look back to see them disappear in my mirror. Same year there is no contest even with the vette and BMW. Was at thunderbolt a week ago and a new BMW with twin turbo 335 motor putting down over 50 more HP to the wheels AWD, far larger 360mm stoptech brakes, full moton suspension, nearly double the torque and 300 pounds less weight, with a very experienced driver who was fighting very hard to keep up. You couldn't be more wrong about these cars.
Originally Posted by amber lamps

When are you going to get past the engineering and realize that the previous owner and his mechanic are to blame for the condition of your engine?

The term "well sorted" applies to individual cars, not the entire fleet. Some 911's are drivers that are driven by idiots, and some are concourse queens that are spared no expense.

Please just ask yourself honestly the following question:

Was epoxy on the original build sheet?
Guy,

As others said this is not your average 911 story. I was wrong when I said you got snookered and continue to allow yourself too. You weren't snookered, your allowing yourself to be taken and you refuse to see it that is something completely different.

I am under the impression this car has far more miles on it than the odo says. More than likely someone disconnected the odo or switched it out for a long period of time. I have owned many well maintained 911's. Restored a few myself with complete engine rebuilds. I have rebuilt engines with well over 250k miles without cams that looked like that. I am sure if you knew the true history of this car you would never have purchased it and now your mechanic is taking you for a ride and you refuse to acknowledge that. There are too many ???'s and not enough answers yet your not willing to step back and save money but have the impatience to spend it like water. Why??

Hi Jim. I know I sound like sour grapes but I CAN NOT WAIT to get this car back and head for the twisties. I love it. My 68-miles kind of unfolded like this:

Car interior smelled bad but I initially thought it was "normal" (it was the oil leak on HVAC baffle).
After warm up, I put the car through some brisk driving and was impressed by the steady torque always pulling.
Seats were so comfortable
Chasis was SOLID, moved as one part
LOVED the sound of the flat six at startup - It sounds mean, mechanical, I love it. It makes this car special.
Then, the heat blowing into the cab - then the smell...bad. My wife and I were very dissapointed.
Drove the car to the shop early in the morning and the HVAC problem quit for some reason (probably because I was taking it to the shop). This was about a 15-mile early morning drive and I fell in love...
The more I drove it, the more I like it.

Now, I am glad that I am doing the right thing by my porsche - making it right and making it mine o mine.

I am getting new cylinders and pistons (kind that accept the gasket - $ ouch, ubber expensive), lwfl + clutch (it has a new clutch but apparently this won't work with a LWFW). I am going to try to sort the HVAC ducting myself after reading some threads (foot well area seems to be the problem).

I am gettting a new one piece german canvas top and installing a Sparco Ring steering wheel (leather, not alcantra). Top and Sparco this week.

Some day, I would love to do a fabspeed exhaust.

At the end of the day, it is a sports car and most certainly, a hobby. I am a car guy but I'm not a mechanic. For the sake of saving money and really rolling up my sleaves on MY CAR, I am going to get some proper tools and try to take car of minor issues as they come up on my own...and major as time allows.

I'm glad I'm a porsche owner.

Very Glad.
Just remember patience is a virtue and rushing this along will not make anything better if not worse. If your mechanic is worth anything he wouldn't be spending your money on new pistons and cylinders unless it was to upgrade to 3.8 liters. He should be able to machine what you have and if the mileage is half true you should still be able to see the factory honing marks on these things. You are throwing water on a magnesium fire and expecting it to go out, instead it just flairs up so you throw more water on it.

I am not sure what is going on here but I hate to see where this is leading and as much as I want everyone on this board to have a pleasurable experience i only see a disastrous outcome.

If we continue with the new thread name i want to point out to those reading that not only is a PPI critical but I would never buy a used car and drive it extensively without bring it immediately to my mechanic or doing a complete inspection and fluid change myself. That is even if you have records stating that all fluids were changed 10 miles before.

There are a lot of mistakes still being made that everyone can learn from here.

I wish you the best but i fear the outcome will be nothing less than disappointing.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:05 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
He did tell us at some point in this thread, and no it isn't the shop that was used by the previous owner. I googled it, and it did have a couple Pcars for sale, but I wouldn't have let them change my oil.
I saw where he talked about the Foreign Exchange doing maintenance on the car but saw where they weren't responsible for the reseal (after looking back through things). Could you point me to where he says who's doing the motor work?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:41 PM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

Laker:

at this point, I totally wish he did
I laughed out load at this comment. I don't blame you my friend but thanks for hanging in there with me none the less.

The shop that performed the engine seal on the car is no longer in the area. My current mechanic said that the PO may likely have have said, "look, I've got this much money, do what you can and don't exceed it."

Rebuild Update:

Cams being reconditoned at webcam
Crank being polished
New Mahle P/C should be in this afternoon.
Rest of the rebuild almost to Paul Wiers delux rebuild list (on his website)

Also of note, because he is very busy, my mechanic didn't want to do the rebuild and wanted me to ship it to Paul Wier in Washington. However, I wanted a local builder so if there is a problem, I can deal with it locally. Also, I don't want to wait and wait and wait to get my engine back. I have no idea what Wiers waiting list is (I am sure he is very responsive and professional etc). Even having it done here in town, it is going to take 6-weeks until I can turn the key. I trust this guy and he is actually telling me to NOT spend here and there etc. He even resisted my insistance on the new P/C saying I should work with the ones I have to save money. But, I have gone this far and he is cutting me a break on the Mahle P/C's.

The reason I haven't provided my mechanics name is because a previous poster provided personal information about me on this thread. This is a well known and international web site and I felt THIS POSTER was crossing the line. I am in no way trying to hide but if I wanted the world to know my phone number, address etc, posting it should be my choice.

Because of the way this thread started (my title and rant) coupled with the afforementioned, I had concerns that the member who posted my personal info might call and harrass the mechanic who is doing me a favor on the rebuild to begin with (may tick him off and I am on the back burner for six months etc). Nuff said for now. I just didn't want anyone to think I am not willing to do my part in providing info (I am happy to give his name, but later due to the previously mentioned poster). PM me and I will be happy to share his name and credentials. He is a straight shooter and very knowledgable.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:02 PM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

There are wonderful expressions - 'Aspirational buyer' / 'Status symbol' / 'Fan boy'.

At one stage he wanted to stick the 'Turbo' script on the back of his car... look at the size of the wing... the whole story and attitude put together just paints a portrait.

He probably has "authentic corinthian columns" framing his house's front door!

Also found his next car ( Don't tell him it's a fake and wasn't really owner by Schumacher. )...
Classic. Not me at all, but well done.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:13 PM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

"Deal with the consequences like a man and stop the silly Porsche bashing. You sound like a 16 year old. Maybe you are 16?"

Dude, I just paid $24,000 for a car...My fault or not, avoidable or not, 68-miles later, I find out I need to spend another $16,000 just to get it into the shape I thought I was buying it in.

Allow me a little belly aching. Its online man...better than actually kicking the cat or snapping at the wife.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:52 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Guy, YOU provided 70,000 fellow listers your name when you used your real name upon signing up. I simply used the information you posted to figure out if you were real or a prankster yanking our chain.
<--------
Please hit the red triangle to the left and report this post to a mod. In that report ask for a new user name such as 964Guy. My user name used to be douglas bray. Ask me why I changed it.

EDIT: ...and you really gotta get over the idea that I have any malice toward you. We share way to much in common for me to have any interest in doing you wrong. We are both Porsche nut, we are both 40ish y/o professionals, we both have cars from Ohio, we are both here to learn more about our cars, and, and, and, etc. The reasons to be cool with each other go on and on. ...anyway.

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 05-23-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

More than 95% of the posts here disapprove of you. Just leave.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:36 PM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

Hi Porsche964FP. I'll hang out with the 5% then. They're pretty cool (and knowledgable).

Quick Reply: Newbies, DO A PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION B4 U BUY