Sponsored by:

Time for Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Posha
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for Rebuild

It is now time for a rebuild of my 1991 964 3.6. I do not have the expertise to complete the task at hand. I want a basic rebuild with no upgrades....unless someone in the forum has a good word of advice....

Please point me in the right direction for a shop/business that has a good reputation, preferably someone you have used. I of course would like to know what the anticipated associated costs would be. I have looked at a few businesses on the web and there appears to be a disperate price difference (I of course believe there is a quality difference also).

Ron

Old 05-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where are you based?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:16 PM
alanp
Instructor

Just took mine in last week for a rebuild so I'll be Porscheless for 4-5 weeks. I chose Performance Automotive in Malvern PA. Great reputation and a fully equipped spotless shop. Went for a reseal, pistons/cylinders, valves & guides, oil lines etc. Also having a new steering rack installed along with 4 wheel alignment & balance.

I visited 4 shops that were recommended by Rennlisters and Performance Auto impressed me the most.

Get a list of shops....check them out in person & ask a lot of questions.

Good luck
Old 05-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Just say NO ...to MotorMeister
Old 05-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Posha
Track Day

Default Time for Rebuild

I am in El Paso, Texas
Old 05-15-2011, 12:30 PM
braol
Advanced

Anyone ever get their engine done at the Dealer???
Old 05-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Posha
It is now time for a rebuild of my 1991 964 3.6. I do not have the expertise to complete the task at hand. I want a basic rebuild with no upgrades....unless someone in the forum has a good word of advice....

Please point me in the right direction for a shop/business that has a good reputation, preferably someone you have used. I of course would like to know what the anticipated associated costs would be. I have looked at a few businesses on the web and there appears to be a disperate price difference (I of course believe there is a quality difference also).

Ron

Hi Ron,

While I don't have anyone in your area to recommend, I will advise you to be very careful about making comparisons.

Everyone has their opinions about what constitutes the word "rebuilt" and such definitions vary widely, even mong the people in this industry. I'll tell you from experience that the lion's share of the total cost lies with the parts bill and thats one of the things that separates the quality of the job.

You didn't say how many miles are on your car, but if your expectations are for another 100-200K miles, cutting corners on this project will be self-defeating.

Just remember, "People never have the money to do something right, but they have the money to do it all over again". You get what you pay for (in most cases).

Hope this helps you,
Old 05-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I met an elderly lady (bless her soul) one day who admired my car as I looked at hers (she wondered why my shifter was weird, she had a tip) She related to me that she let her son use the car, he curbed the front end on a steep driveway and ran it low on oil, Sixteen grand at the dealer for a new motor and she was back on the road...Same Dealer quoted me about $1,700.00 for an alternator for 2004 range rover...same one online is less than 400 and no the 1700 did not include install

I honestly think I know more about the 964 than the dealer..they are not really interested in servicing the "obsolete" cars here..
Old 05-15-2011, 05:20 PM
alanp
Instructor

I hear you Silvertarga...I ordered some parts (filters & assorted hardware) from THE Porsche dealer in town...waited a week....they were all the wrong parts. He seemed bothered in having to look up parts for my old car & didn't say a word when I returned them for credit.

Needless to say...I won't have my car serviced there on a bet. Indy's have a much better understanding of these older cars and the experience to handle repairs.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Posha
Track Day

Default Time for Rebuild

My car has 110K. I do want to keep it and pass it to me son. Understanding the quaility of the rebuild is commensurate with the parts put in, what would a complete rebuild run (neighborhood)?

Ron
Old 05-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Posha
My car has 110K. I do want to keep it and pass it to me son. Understanding the quaility of the rebuild is commensurate with the parts put in, what would a complete rebuild run (neighborhood)?

Ron
A complete rebuild (new Mahle pistons/cylinders, valve job, etc) will be >$10k. It will go up from there if other components are found to be worn, or if you add a few other "while you're in there" items like new clutch, plug wires.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm supprised nobody here from the area has shop advice for Posha....can't somone from the great state suggest an indie?

Posha, perhaps you might want to PM Steve W. (above), he is an absolute guru, a straight shooter and a recognized expert. He may have advice for you.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Posha
Track Day

Default Time for Rebuild

Thanks for the shout-out. I cant believe no one from the forum has not had a rebuild that they can recommend. I dont mind putting it on a crate and shipping. I do have the skillset to reinstall.

Thanks for advice, Ron
Old 05-15-2011, 11:36 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Posha, I just asked over in the 993 forum if anybody knew anybody - give it a day or two.

PM Stevie also, please. If you don't mind shipping, and you can afford a bit more for one of the best - he may have the answers you are seeking.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Posha
Track Day

Gracias amigo. I feel like a crack addict, I miss that damn car!!

Quick Reply: Time for Rebuild