Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Ready!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:47 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think boxsey put up about a year ago a vid from Silverstone in the UK of a well driven 964 keeping a 993 at bay.

Have fun, practice sphincter control beforehand

V3s should be fabulous on track.

Be safe
Andrew
Old 05-11-2011, 06:18 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Thanks all,

Am leaving the house at 5am tomorrow morning. Car is packed and ready to go. Talk next week.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:45 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Enjoy! Life's too short to do the "up early to get to the track and drive around all day". Memory flashback of more than once getting out the door in the middle of the night Saturday AM from Phoenix to make it to Willow, help at the track all day (I wasn't running my Porsche back then, had a Scirocco in SCCA that I raced locally), and then heading down to the Sunset Strip to the Whiskey or Troubadour to find what someone undoubtedly said was the next Motley Crue. Sleep in the car for a few Sun AM, then back to the track and return to Phoenix that afternoon.

I'm so lazy now in my old age with a garage at the track, big tow rigs, etc. etc.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have fun!
Old 05-11-2011, 10:36 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Just so you all know, Chris Tallon is a past class champion with POC in his 73 rs clone, too modest to tell you he has beaucoup experience tracking 911s.
I will be there too in my 92 and will post some pics over the weekend.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:00 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
Just so you all know, Chris Tallon is a past class champion with POC in his 73 rs clone, too modest to tell you he has beaucoup experience tracking 911s.
I will be there too in my 92 and will post some pics over the weekend.
Somewhere in the back of my feeble mind I had a feeling Chris could drove a little...now the cat is out of the bag.

His comments and questions regarding suspension setup always carried a certain ring of experience and knowledge - yet he never mentioned his experience.

Takes a big guy to do that....
Old 05-16-2011, 02:09 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Just back from the trip and the car ran flawlessly. Had a fantastic time at the track on Thursday, and with the rest of the gang Fri- Sun in Monterey. The 964 did not skip a beat.

On track the car took some getting used to. I'm so used to the power band, the gearing, the lightness of my 73. The 964 is a different animal. The torque was the first piece I noticed. Awesome. I also noticed that the turn in points and braking points are different. Much later braking, and slightly earlier turn in. It took me 3 sessions to find the appropriate line, and at that point I was flying. Buttonwillow is a fast, technical track. There are 3 tight turns that require balanced power at both rear wheels. I learned LSD is an absolute must. In all the hard right handers I found myself yawing hard left as the power lightened on the right side, so I spent some time sliding the car, and losing distance. I need LSD asap! The gearing is longer than the early car too, so I was holding the car in lower gears longer and found that this was working best! I was listening to the early car drivers explain their shifting through the course and found is was not making any sense in the 964, so decided to try staying in the lower gears longer. It worked. I was also tracking out wide, visiting the outer limits of the track as Ken suggested. This was working very well. Thanks Ken!

Overall the car was fantastic. I was running faster than most of the cars there, which included all early cars. I now know this car is faster and more complete than my 73, and will only get faster with LSD and more seat time. I can only imagine how good this car would be with 200 less pounds weight. Wow!

The best part was that after the track day, at about 3 PM, we loaded the cars for another 300 mile drive north to Monterey, and ahhhhh.... cold AC and some fine music all the way up. What a joy! I love this car!

Kai, I lagged on taking hat photo's. I have 1 good one on the hood of my car at the Treffen. I'll post it up later. Hope you all had a great weekend!

Last edited by christallon; 05-16-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:50 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write up Chris. Sounds like you had a great time

What settings did you run your KWV3 on? The reason I ask is that I decided to firm up the bump settings prior to my own track outing last week. I went from 4 clicks at the rear to 2 clicks and from 6 clicks at the front to 3 clicks. I left the rebounds as they were - 6 clicks front and rear. The new settings produced quite a bit more understeer in the slow corners which I found I could compensate for to a degree by turrning in earlier. However, I still felt that I had to wait a bit longer to get back on the powers so that I didn't track out too early. Hence I'm very interested to compare notes on what you did yourself.

The experience made me think that going firm on the bump settings is only really of benefit on tracks composed mostly of high speed corners. On the plus side, the firm bump meant that the car was the most stable under hard braking that I've experienced from it.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:36 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Steve,

I am running 2-3 clicks off full hard on all 8 settings. I felt the car was very composed, and was solid under full braking. I really need LSD though to fully appreciate this car. I really felt as if the car was performing at 75% of capacity, especially in the tight stuff.

I just posted up a shot of a broken RS drop link I just discovered while inspecting the front brake pads in the garage. I have no idea when, over the weekend, this happened. I suspect it may have been at the track, and may have contributed to a spin I had after exiting a hard left hander onto the front straight. There was plenty of run-off, so really just a dusty mess. I did run the car after that and actually made some adjustments to my driving style and found I was getting faster. Very strange.

I must say that with this 2-3 click set-up, the car performed very well in the high speed stuff.

Last edited by christallon; 05-16-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:58 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Where did thge drop link break Chris? Edit: I see now...

I'd forgotten you weren't running a LSD. Are you saying you "yawed" under deceleration, or as power was applied?

Last edited by KaiB; 05-16-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: lack 'o attention
Old 05-16-2011, 09:39 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Kai,

As I was applying throttle coming out of tight right handers the car would "yaw" left, sliding until the car settled back onto the right side, and would hook-up again. I spent a lot of time correcting, and finally simply slowed down into these corners to eliminate the slide.

What's the latest on your car?
Old 05-16-2011, 10:34 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Glad you had a great time! Any word on Tom's day? Love to hear a different perspective in basically the same car.

Anyway, pretty surprised you feel you ran different lines. If there's one combo I know back-to-back it's from running the 964 C4 and the '73 S there in '99 and '00. Probably five times I had both cars there as it was when Karen expressed interest in competitive driving, so I'd tow the S and she's drive the C4. Also, during that time my friend had his RSA basically the same as my old one exists now, and another friend had a new '99 996 (stock). I drove the same line for everything, and if I recall on the Bus Stop/Non-Star Mazda config (which is what I think you ran), we were within a couple of seconds with all the cars. Do I keep saying 2:06 for this config? I forget, and I'm traveling so I don't have my records handy.

You DO know you're one of the few to go off on Sunset and not come back around to hit the pit wall? Seen more than one car destroyed there, unfortunately.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Glad you had a great time! Any word on Tom's day? Love to hear a different perspective in basically the same car.

Anyway, pretty surprised you feel you ran different lines. If there's one combo I know back-to-back it's from running the 964 C4 and the '73 S there in '99 and '00. Probably five times I had both cars there as it was when Karen expressed interest in competitive driving, so I'd tow the S and she's drive the C4. Also, during that time my friend had his RSA basically the same as my old one exists now, and another friend had a new '99 996 (stock). I drove the same line for everything, and if I recall on the Bus Stop/Non-Star Mazda config (which is what I think you ran), we were within a couple of seconds with all the cars. Do I keep saying 2:06 for this config? I forget, and I'm traveling so I don't have my records handy.

You DO know you're one of the few to go off on Sunset and not come back around to hit the pit wall? Seen more than one car destroyed there, unfortunately.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:24 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Ken,

I came of on the right side of sunset and had the mind to go both feet in. The car stayed on the right side of the track as the giant dust cloud worked over and through my car. I was told that a sunset "off" normally spits you back across the track toward the wall. I feel lucky
Old 05-17-2011, 09:15 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

What's the latest on your car?

Sadly, no roll bar arrival yet, but she's on her feet (w/ the new wheels) with the engine back in, suspension/brake system in, tranny and LSD (!!!) in and the interior goodies just waiting.

I believe the wing is on, but don't know, as Jeff has been out at the track with clients (!!!) and Stevie can't yet drive for photos.

I have my string gloves, custom shoes and Ferrari red suit all ready...pit crew ('Lil Audrey) has decided she won't overnight in the trailer trackside so I don't yet know who will detail the car nights while I rest.

Life is indeed difficult....

Quick Reply: Track Ready!!!