Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Ready!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:37 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OT: Chris, I'm off to town to overnight the "hat 'o legend" - it's important that it is there for Claudia at her maiden event with you.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by tbennett017
If it's after a spin, are you sure the brown was from the valley?
It certainly was a code brown moment. It seemed like somebody was throwing pickle buckets of dirt through the drivers window.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:46 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Take out the Frunk carpet...there's 5+ pounds there.
(just in case: Frunk = front trunk)
Old 05-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the spare tire has to stay in for crash protection, but the air compressor doesn't.... there's a couple of lbs.

Have fun Chris, and be safe.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:37 PM
mroddis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all as above. and remember, don't engage the hand brake after coming in from a hot session. just leave in gear to avoid rolling when parked..
Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Thanks for all the pointers guys! Interesting about the spare "space saver" tire. I always remove the spare from my early car before any track event, along with anything else that moves including floor mats, both to save weight and to minimize loose objects at speed. Honestly I've never heard anyone suggest leaving the spare tire in place for crash protection.

Kai. You da man....
Old 05-09-2011, 06:30 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Heard a certain red RSA will be there too!

To motivate, here's a traffic laden session from Thunderhill a week and a half ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Kad...layer_embedded
Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by christallon
Thanks for all the pointers guys! Interesting about the spare "space saver" tire. I always remove the spare from my early car before any track event, along with anything else that moves including floor mats, both to save weight and to minimize loose objects at speed. Honestly I've never heard anyone suggest leaving the spare tire in place for crash protection.

Kai. You da man....
It's true. And actually required by Club Race rules in Stock class (though likely from the standpoint that the rules say you can't remove it). But in all seriousness, the likelihood of having a 100% header on a track is near zero.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:09 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ken..... and yes, there WILL be a certain red RSA there on Thursday. I'm looking forward to comparisons and of course the differences. Have I mentioned how much I enjoyed driving that ex-red RSA of yours on the local streets?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Less -um, civilized cars have the engine in the front to take the hit. All we have is a 5mph bumper, gas tank and climate control system (and the spare!) in front of us.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:33 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Enjoy...It has been many years since my first event, but I remember the excitement. One thought on the bra - I tried that once with my previous 993 and found that with the speeds the bra would slide around a bit and ended up causing some rubbing scrapes. Just make sure it is very well secured and keep an eye on it...

Regards,

-Skip
Old 05-10-2011, 05:13 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I will keep an eye on the bra. I am actually worried the tire will rub one of the straps wrapped into the wheel well. It already lloks like it's rubbed a little.

I have been on track many times previously, just not in this car, and not on this track, so I've been doing the You Tube curcuit for the Buttonwillow video's to get prepped for the first few laps. I'll also be following some very expereinced drivers who know the track well, so hopefully up to speed quickly.....

Old 05-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Now when you're back from the track:

Old 05-10-2011, 08:43 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I will keep an eye on the bra. I am actually worried the tire will rub one of the straps wrapped into the wheel well. It already lloks like it's rubbed a little.

I have been on track many times previously, just not in this car, and not on this track, so I've been doing the You Tube curcuit for the Buttonwillow video's to get prepped for the first few laps. I'll also be following some very expereinced drivers who know the track well, so hopefully up to speed quickly.....

It's a track where you have to explore the edges, really no other way to put it. Doesn't mean you have to drive crazy, more that the corners look tighter to the eye than they actually are. If you pinch them on exit, you'll just be slow. Wish I had some video, but it's all on tape since it's been forever since I've been there. Tom told me you guys are using CW w/ sweeper config, so I think I posted earlier that was like 2:03 with the RSA race car.

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Now when you're back from the track:

OK, the picture *I* want to see is one of the RSA's interior since Tom told me he scrounged up some Speedster seats for it. Get me a good hi res one I can add to my photo album for the car?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:15 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Pictures forthcoming Gents. I will post them up next week after the Treffen.

We rent the track on Thursday, then immediately drive up to Monterey that afternoon for Thursday night at The Cantina for "car night" which is a hoot, then off to the Hotel for 3 days/nights driving the local roads, enjoying RGruppe hyjinx in the parking lot, hit the Quail Saturday afternoon for the big motorcycle show, more parking lot bench racing, a nice party Saturday night then drive home Sunday or Monday. It's always a great weekend, and we do it every year.

Those Speedster seats make your ex look so purposeful. I'll make sure to post up a few nice shots for you Ken.

Quick Reply: Track Ready!!!