Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Ready!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 10:38 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Here is a photo from Buttonwillow, all the 964s, Race911 your old RSA is on the left.

Tom did very well in the car and especially as it was the first time at this track in the car. As you may know Tom has some of the nicest early 911s around and always in tip top shape, the RSA was no different, the paint had a lustre that looked like you could put your hand into. Tom had Lisa in the car with him most sessions so that may explain his gracious point by to me, I certainly would not have been able to pass him without it.

If you look closely at the photo, Chris Tallon enjoyed a color change on the day from GPW to Sandy Beige, the photo was taken after his spin. He ran out of road on exit so the pit wall didn't come into play as he was in the dirt by then, most of the pit wall crashes are trying to get it back and curving around while still on asphalt. It is such a crucial turn as it leads onto the main straight and full marks to CT as I followed him in the next session he was attacking it with a vengence, I couldn't close the gap between us there but could close it a little in other areas.

My car, the Cobalt Blue, is bone stock other than HK springs, Pagid pads and the 17 inch Twists. I find it to be a very stable platform and a pleasure to drive in anger. It telegraphs the future enough so that I had my own audible Oh F*#k
moment exiting Sunset but more throttle (love that torque) averted disaster and the brakes are just phenomenal allowing me to run up the rear of most cars there, all of them really. I am so happy with the car I am not sure I want to start with clutches, chips, lowering, mounts etc. not to mention the whole point for me was to get a car the wife would go to dinner in for less than the cost of a longnose fixer/project. I can and will spend more time fixing the nut behind the wheel.

There was a 993 there but the driver is just getting started so was easy to run away from, I mention it only because in traffic when there is no passing and everyone exits onto the straight at the same speed and then floors it the 993 went nowhere, in fact I closed a touch on it proving that the added HP they have is more than offset by all that weight.
Attached Images  

Last edited by misterbeverlyhills; 05-30-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:54 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
Tom has some of the nicest early 911s around and always in tip top shape, the RSA was no different, the paint had a lustre that looked like you could put your hand into.
Too funny. Obviously I was selling to someone who knew what was what with Tom, but would you believe I had at least four guys NOT even come to look at the car because I said it had been repainted at some point (probably) early in its life. No sheetmetal damage that I could ever tell, original hood, etc. Just the front bumper reinforcement with a Porsche sticker on it indicating it was a replacement part. So why the whole car was done, who knows.

Anyway, this was for a car that was $21K. I had one guy say he'd never go above $15K for any repainted car. If so, why even inquire as to what I was selling? I'm sure dude is still looking......................... (Hate to be his kid who comes home with an A- sometime.)

Question about the event--when you mention a train and "no passing" re: the 993. What kind of run groups and/or passing did you do? Love to come join you guys sometime, but unless you've got an open passing group not worth the trouble to tow down.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:00 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Given the highly collectible nature of some of the long noses-there were some spectacular cars there- and everyone going off to Monterrey for a Treffen weekend the guidelines are passing in designated areas only with a point by. This is a great group of fellow hobbyists with some very special cars and none of them dedicated race cars, not one was towed to the track. So given that it is a very long ride back in someone else’s car this was a fun day more than a track day with safety of the cars and drivers the main criteria.
This is mostly an early car group, some of us have later cars as well so we are tolerated as not being total fascists(Tallon and I may have been the only ones with stereos!!) and a great day out for guys that usually just drive canyons and to cars and coffee. There are some incredible hot shoes in the group, Johhny Riz and Mike Gagen you may know but the day was a kick off for the weekend so there were no duels to the death on the track. I can see by your avatar this may be too subdued for you but it is a great day nonetheless as I said, if you have restored an early car (over restored) and want to track it in relative safety.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:54 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

All this talk and just a couple random parking lot pics...this didn't happen without pics?
We want to see a parking lot full of Longhoods and 964s! Please!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:55 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Go here:
http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...erey-peninsula...
Old 05-19-2011, 10:07 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

The group of us who rented the track are mostly Rgruppe guys, and like Christian said, wanted to make sure they could use the cars the rest of the weekend. They run an A & B group, but I'd say most cars other than maybe 8 or so ran in the B group. I ran in A and had all the track I ever wanted, and ran against other experienced drivers. There were 5 areas to pass in, so there was not an issue of having to wait. It was a perfect opportunity to shake down my car, and to see a new track. I had a great time, although I'm not yet sure how I feel about Buttonwillow. The jury is still out.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:16 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
although I'm not yet sure how I feel about Buttonwillow. The jury is still out.
Config, or condition of pavement? Pretty much any config I've run, in either direction is fine. Little iffy (and boring) omitting the Bus Stop CW and running straight to Talledega.

I always used to pick up time in large chunks when CW we'd use Star Mazda and run flat through the esses. Only truly alarming moment I remember was when Hank Watts and I were trying to lower the record for the "73S narrowbody-on-225's" class for GGR below that of the SC/Carrera one (yeah, I used to have longhood pride), and I attempted to run through Talledega to Magic Mountain flat (Bus Stop config). Found it was not quite possible on a car without a rear wing, unless maybe you were on really good Hoosiers.

Anyway, sounds like a great time was had by all. Only further comment I'll make re: me and run groups is that I've seen basically zero incidents during open passing days. And that includes running with F1 cars, or the 910 mixed in with like machinery that happen to be real and into the 7 figures.

Quick Reply: Track Ready!!!