Sponsored by:

Changing front brake discs....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 03:37 PM
falcor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing front brake discs....

I'm changing my front discs and pads in a few weeks.
Anything else I need to change while i'm in there?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:40 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Probably the pad wear indicators, it's usually hard to save them. And the damping plates. Otherwise it's a simple bolt off/bolt on job.

Thomas
Old 05-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As above you may have to replace the wear sensors.

Or the other option is to junk them all together and shorten and short out the wires(pad side of conector) also you can junk the dampers on back of pads.

Not saying you should but it is an option that many people take up.

There is an issue that can happen with 964 brakes that may cause you problems if they have not been sorted before.

There are metal plates lining the calipers that can 'warp' due to corrosion behind them. this make it difficult to fit new pads in.

sorry of you know all that just a heads up
Old 05-08-2011, 06:40 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Yes, Junk the sensors, they are PITA anyway and if you are like many, you are visually checking the wear rate of your pads regularly, so no real need for sensors.

I have considered scrapping the mushrooms too. I have heard that if you bed the pads in properly when they are new, the squealing issues are virtually non existent. Please chime in if this is not correct.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:43 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I scrapped the mushrooms, so I just have the x2 metal cylinder things pushing directly against the metal brake pad. Works fine.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

took me 20 minutes to slide the pads out.
The dampening plate fuses to the back of the brake pads, so even though the pads were loose and flopping around inside the caliper they would not pull out for the life of me. The dampening plates 'spring/mushroom' was holding them in the caliper. Take a small flat bladed screwdriver on the back of the pad, to pry off the dampening plate before you try to pull pads out.

When loosening the lower caliper bolt, be careful. It is on extra tight and it is easy to slip off and cut yourself on a rusty stone shield.

When loosening the upper caliper bolt, be careful, very close to rigid brake lines.
I reused my dampening plates because Pelican sent the wrong ones. No squeal, with a half-assed bed-in procedure.
Have fun and take your time.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:13 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Ditch the brake pad sensor. They usually break when you change the pads. If you trust yourself to routinely check your pad wear, you'll have no problems. He's a helpful link: Ditching the brake pad wear sensors

Also paint your rotor hats with caliper paint (or other high temp. paint), to keep them looking sharp and rust free.

I ditched my mushrooms, I now use the adhesive pads on the back of the dampening plates.

It's a good DIY. I did mine and went to the track a couple days later. No one but myself to blame it it did something wrong!
Old 05-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditched my ' mushrooms' as well. I just put a very thin smear of copper slip on teh back of the pads. No squeeling here.

Quick Reply: Changing front brake discs....