Sponsored by:

964 Fuel filter replace - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:22 PM
RedCarr710
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE...Good to go!

I was able to work the stuck connection free a few days ago. Thanks to Makmov and the others for the solid advice about using the two wrenches with one hand. After that connection broke free, the rest was easy.

For all the other newer owners that haven't done this yet, it ain't bad - just be careful when opening the connections as they may be stuck. I hate to say it but my Porsche fuel filter may have been original equip! It was freakin old - really worn looking and made in Czech Republic. I took a look on the inside and the cardboard/fiber insert looked like brown wax and crumbled when I poked it with a screwdriver. I had no record of the POs ever changing it so I'm glad I got it done. It feels like the car is so much smoother now at idle and acceleration - probably because it's actually getting the fuel it wants. One other word to newbies, when you loosen the second fitting, the second half of the fuel dumps out of the rear (facing you) opening...have your paper towels down. Total fuel expelled is about a soup can.

Thanks again for all the help with this.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:18 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did mine I had to replace that line from the firewall to the filter as I rounded the edges of the fitting trying to get it off.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:04 PM
Patrick W.
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the info. This was a very easy job on my 964. I am not sure about other years, but on my 964 I had room to hold a small cup under the connections as I disconnected them to catch gas draining from the filter.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:01 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Did this last week. The front (nearer the frunk) nuts were a bit difficult given the opening. HIGHLY recommend removing the front of the air filter box. Makes a huge difference in space and ability to do the two wrenchs one hand method.

That said, I haven't been able to get the car started since doing the change. I hear that it should take a couple of tries - I even tried pressing the gas pedal a little to get things flowing. My battery seemed like it was starting to die on me, so I unplugged and will try a jump start next time I try to get it going.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't press the gas pedal. Just crank it over and the fuel system will eventually pressurize and it should start up. Check the fittings to make sure they stay dry.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:24 PM
dhc905
Banned

Got it thanks. Recall how many times you tried starting it? I probably gave it 2-3 good tries + a couple half assed ones as I noticed the lights on my dash dimming every time I tried turning it.

Originally Posted by Vandit
Don't press the gas pedal. Just crank it over and the fuel system will eventually pressurize and it should start up. Check the fittings to make sure they stay dry.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:52 AM
dhc905
Banned

Started right up. Worked like a charm.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:32 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

One thing to keep in mind while we are talking about cars with fuel filters that are potentially original or close to it, as it sounds... When these cars were new, we didn't have a lot of ethanol in our fuel, and in most areas in the states we had zero. Our fuel lines were not made to handle the corrosive ethanol, so keep in mind that if you haven't replaced your fuel lines, that is a pretty good thing to do. The ethanol in older cars corrodes the inside of the fuel lines and then the lines start breaking apart from the inside and this clogs fuel filters badly. It also makes your lines weaker and the chances of a failure and subsequent fire are higher. So as a "while you are in there" it's a good idea to start a program of changing out the old fuel lines if they have never been done. Newer lines deal with ethanol much better, so they shouldn't have to be done again for a long time and you will have fewer clogged fuel filter issues along the way.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:05 PM
BobCampbell
AutoX

Default Read thread and got job done in 15 minutes- thanks to you contributors

I read this thread before changing my 1990 C2 Cab fuel filter. Because of contributors like you, people like me save thousands of dollars by avoiding the paid mechanic. The following thread advice is confirmed as follows: Get rid of all fuel/fire related factors. I pull negative cable from battery which serves two purposes, no spark, resets DME when reconnected. Write date on new fuel filter. 1, unscrew oil filler cap and remove to make room for air filter cover removal. 2, pull air filter cover off and put the oil cap back on. 3, 19mm wrench not in the standard set so I just used 2 good precise adjustable wrenches. 4, fuel lines screw off normal, counterclockwise so either imagine taking the cap off a plastic water bottle or put one in front of you to to help visualize which way your unscrewing the fuel line. The line in the back-off to the right. The line in front, off to the left, once bolt is unfastened, it twists off easy with fingers. 5, get plastic bags and rags and put rags on bags to keep fuel from bleeding through on your nice engine bay paint. 6, put a little flashlight in the back of your work area. 7, loosen the filter clamp nut and retighten just snug. 8, move and hold the rubber hose out of the way with the back side of your hand and line up your wrenches on the back line first and spread them apart about 2-3 inches at the ends with fuel line wrench low and filter side wrench high. Get on your knees and get both hands wrapped around those wrenches and squeeze them together with the hand pressure emphasized on bringing the fuel line wrench up to the filter wrench, effectively turning the fuel line bolt to the right. Very little fuel comes out if you don't turn your key on for a day. 9, Now do the front or bottom line closest to you. Line your wrenches up with the filter bolt wrench low and fuel line wrench high and do the knees on ground double fist squeeze essentially pulling the fuel line bolt down. 10, yes fuel comes out, but not a lot on mine. All stayed nicely in rags and did not leak through the bags. No spillage! 11, get that clamp bolt loose and slide that old filter out. 12, Install new filter in clamp with flow down towards you and finger screw on fuel line bolts finger tight. Do double fist wrench squeeze in reverse. Don't over tighten. Put battery cable back on. Go put key in ignition and turn to get fuel pump pumping and leave that pump going for a full minute. Now engage starter for a good 5 second turn. Turn key off and on again, my car started immediately on second try. Go take a look at the fuel filter and verify no leaks. Cut engine and put air filter back in.

The following users liked this post:
Mark Brook (11-25-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 02:15 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Good maintenance reason- My fuel filter was not clogged and working just fine but due to age (probably 20 years old??) it sprang a leak at the crimp and sprayed a nice mist of fuel all over my hot engine in the middle of nowhere. I was lucky and had already crested the mountains so I just coasted down to a main road where I had cell service.. Scared the hell out of me! I was super pissed at the mechanic because he was supposed to have changed it at the last service.

Pete
The following users liked this post:
BobCampbell (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 09:48 AM
BobCampbell
AutoX

Lucky no fire!
Old 08-28-2023, 10:04 AM
nabfa1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to confirm pls … the normal non turbo variant of the 964 does “not” have an in-tank filter as well as may have been alluded to in some other threads for some models…. Thank you .
Old 08-29-2023, 08:18 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts

My 1992, non-turbo 964 has a nylon mesh filter in the tank. It was yellowed, brittle and already had a small tear in it. I was happy I had ordered a replacement in advance.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:40 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BobCampbell
Lucky no fire!

Very lucky. I turned on the heater and the fumes filled the cabin. I was in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night- so no cell connection and no traffic. The car would have burnt. I just had it in the shop for a full service and the mechanic "forgot." I was able to coast down the mountain with the engine off until I got cell service. I was thinking we (it was a date...) would be sleeping in the car.

928 201 081 04 is the in tank fuel filter. It's listed for all vehicles in the part catalog.

Pete
Old 08-29-2023, 07:04 PM
nabfa1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
My 1992, non-turbo 964 has a nylon mesh filter in the tank. It was yellowed, brittle and already had a small tear in it. I was happy I had ordered a replacement in advance.

Is this difficult to replace ? Any advice would be appreciated . Thank you .

Quick Reply: 964 Fuel filter replace - advice?