Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Fuel filter replace - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:24 AM
RedCarr710
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 Fuel filter replace - advice?

Hey all, I did some searches but nothing addressed my question.

I'm looking to replace my 91 C2 fuel filter. I got a Mahle K21 filter and am looking to get started. My first realization is that the filter is tucked pretty far to the rear of the engine compartment, ok...I also figure I'll have to remove the air filter box to get my wrenches in there, ok.

However I have a pretty large either AC or power steering hose (.5-1" diameter)going up and over my filter pretty much covering the forward nut. I checked Adrians book and the pics don't show this hose, which makes the change look really easy on paper. Does this line get in your way? Do you just move it around a bit to get your wrenches in there?

Any advice on this "should be simple" job is appreciated.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just change mine a month or so ago. It is a PS hose and it's a bit of a nuisance but wont prevent you from getting the job done.

Pretty much once you get the line cracked open the fittings are finger tight.
The following users liked this post:
nabfa1 (09-01-2023)
Old 04-30-2011, 04:36 PM
RedCarr710
AutoX

Great! thanks for the response. I noticed that the PS line does have some give and I can push it to get access to the forward nut and filter with the two wrenches. If the nut can be worked mostly with my fingers, that's a little easier too.

Thanks again.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:52 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i tried this job about 2 weeks ago.
i was able to push the hose out of the way and it was easy to get two spanners onto the nuts.
the only problem (a major problem) was that with my arms stretched out in front of me, my arms were not in a good position to provide any strength to get them undone.
so that job was cancelled and will be transferred to the mechanic.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
i tried this job about 2 weeks ago.
i was able to push the hose out of the way and it was easy to get two spanners onto the nuts.
the only problem (a major problem) was that with my arms stretched out in front of me, my arms were not in a good position to provide any strength to get them undone.
so that job was cancelled and will be transferred to the mechanic.
The trick there is to get your wrenches about ten minutes apart and squeeze them with your one hand.
The following users liked this post:
RallyeChris (11-24-2020)
Old 05-01-2011, 07:19 PM
wilko
Instructor

had mine done whilst in for brakes & service last month as couldn't find any record of it being changed in 10 years , my techie told me the one he removed was fresh as a daisy but at least now i know it's done ,what kind of service life /miles do they have?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 PM
vbaron
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll be doing mine in a few weeks, noticed that the PO etched the date of installation in the current one, I'll probably copy his idea.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:12 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I wrote on the filter in permanent marker when I changed mine.

Lots of gas comes out of the filter though so have lots of rags handy.

Marc
Old 05-02-2011, 07:56 AM
bmohr
Racer

wish i saw this thread before I did mine...jeez. I was cursing loud enough for every neighbor to hear...on easter sunday no less! lol. Oh, while i was wishing - i wished my nuts were "finger tight" ! lol. The one hand two wrenches trick is a very good tip though. I'll have to try that next time.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:41 PM
RedCarr710
AutoX

Update...

I'm trying to get this job done today and it's 2 hour sand counting. The rear fuel line came off without too much trouble, just cracked the nut free while counterwrenching the filter nut and and it came loose. I hadn't driven the car in two days so the fuel didn't come out under pressure but there was 1/4 to 1/2 cup that poured out. I had lots of paper towels down in the area so not too much trouble.

OK, so I'm feeling good, 20 mins in and go for the forward line. The mother is glued tight...I propped the power steering line forward to get access to the pressure line nut but the connection is way tight. I tried the squeeze the wrenches together trick but as another poster said, you're arms are extended way into the engine bay so it's tough to get upper arm strength on the wrenches. I put some WD40 on the fitting and am hoping it helps loosen things up. You guys have any further advice? BTW, the filter looks really old and is original Porsche, I have no record of when it was changed but I'd guess a long time.

Any advice from you all would again be appreciated. I've got a wrench on the pressure line nut and am trying to wrench downward on the forward fuel filter nut. It looks like that would be the opposite of the right way to "srew in" the filter if everything was going smoothly. I'd hoped this one would be a bit easier for my first time...ah well.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:04 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

First check the new filter to see if that thread is left hand, if NOT you are going the wrong way, to loosen the nut you must go clockwise or UP.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:58 PM
RedCarr710
AutoX

Thanks for the reply. I checked the threads again and the rear male end of the new filter is right hand thread (I spun the rear fuel line nut counterclockwise to loosen) and it looks like the female connector on the forward end of the fuel filter is threaded to receive a right hand thread connector from the forward fuel line. So if I counterhold the nut on the forward fuel line and wrench downward (counterclock) on the female threaded filter connector, I'm thinking it should loosen off the line threads, unless I'm missing something.

Perhaps the PO just torqued it really tight or it's stuck 'cause it hasn't been changed in years. Gonna give it a rest and come back to it for another go later on. I reattached the rear fuel line am not going to drive it until I can finish the job.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:17 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you have front and rear backwards. Front is nearest to the front of the car, rear is nearest to the rear of the car.
Holding the fuel filter steady and turning the nut, the front nut is clockwise and the rear is counterclockwise.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:58 PM
RedCarr710
AutoX

Thanks for hanging with me on this one, I know it's easy for a lot of you guys but when you're learning on your own and trying not to break stuff it's tricky.

I'm holding the new filter in my hand with the arrow (fuel flow direction) pointing towards me. The front end of the filter has a female connection that attaches to the male threaded forward fuel line. The rear end of the filter (closest to me) has a male threaded connection (right hand thread) that attaches to the nut on the flexible rear fuel line.

When I started to remove the old filter, I counterheld the hex on the rear male filter connector and wrenched the nut on the fuel line counterclockwise (downward). The nut loosened and then I was able to twist off with my fingers. All good...

When I went to the forward connection, I noticed that there is a thin hex on the forward fuel line right before the male threads (I believe these threads are right hand as well) and this threaded fitting is screwed into the forward female connector on the fuel filter. I counterheld the fuel line hex and tried to loosen the filter connection by wrenching downward (counterclockwise - at least from my position) on the fuel filter female connector. As the male end (hex) is part of the fuel line, it can't be turned - only counterheld - at least that's how it looks to me, which is why I was wrenching on the filter connector (1/2" long, thin walled hex nut).

The female filter connector and the male fuel line threads seem to be pretty locked up which is giving me problems. I hope I explained myself a little better, you guys who have done this job before let me know if I'm wrenching that connector the wrong way. I don't think I am but I'm new and have never done this before. Thnaks.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Try lining up the wrenches and put a crow bar in between them then use the crow bar to move the wrenches , should give you some additional leverage

Quick Reply: 964 Fuel filter replace - advice?