Sponsored by:

car or booster seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 03:47 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker
This one is now on sale for only $35.... so doesn't make you feel bad if you have trim a little...
Jetta, how is the leg room for your kids? My seat showed up today, and I'm not sure how I'm (6'2") going to drive with a seat behind me..

I like the way you think, but you really also need a "sub/crotch" belt so the kid doesn't "Submarine" out under the 3 pt system.
How did you attach the sub/crotch?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:53 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker
Jetta, how is the leg room for your kids? My seat showed up today, and I'm not sure how I'm (6'2") going to drive with a seat behind me..
I'm 6'2" also...

When younger (2-4), their legs (femur) would be too short, so they sat with slightly bent legs. This takes up more space, so they sat on the passenger side back seat.

As they grew (4-7), and when then sat with a proper bend at their knee, they would sit behind me. The tightest spot was at the knee cap area at the end of the booster seat. Due to the recline of the driver's seat, there is a lot of room below this point (for their feet to dangle). I usually slide my seat up an inch to avoid contact with their knees. Not perfect, but everyone is safe and I'm driving a 911, so life is good. My kids are spaced 3.5 years apart, which has been perfect of getting them both in the back at the same time.

My wife is 5'2"...with my son (8) growing and growing, I joke with my friends that I married her because she's the perfect size to sit in the back. She smiles now, but she knows the day is coming!

It comes down to everyone wanting to ride in the car. It's my only car (I bike to work and most errands), so in my case it's a mute point. That said, my kids love riding the car. Even though it's cramped, there's NO radio, no food, and it's loud. They get the full-service limo ride in mom's car.

I've included a couple random pictures...
Attached Images        
Old 05-05-2011, 04:01 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

I loved this parking job.

On one of the numerous pediatrician visits I took my kids to, I noticed this sign...you should have seen the look on the mom's faces in the parking lot when I took pole-position. The parking lot was full of the usual loaded minivans/SUVs, packed with strollers and everything you'll need for a week with the kids. Like a true guy, I'd roll out of the house with barely a change of diapers...
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the details Jetta, I'm taking notes as my kids are 2 1/2 and 1. Your 2nd picture from the bottom of the first post shows the tightness that I didn't think was workable. And you're right, I'm driving a 964 so suck it up and slide forward. (just a little ;-)

SuperUser, I am looking for a shop that can accomplish drilling a bracket hole on the red X and has a Hammer to bleed my locks.
The plan is to have the sub-belt run under the cushion and then slice a hole through one of the seams of the cushion.. I also want to bracket down the sub belt under the cushion represented by the gray dashed line.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: car or booster seat