Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose axle nut = damage to wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 05:18 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks93-964
Thanks ThomasC2, put the bolts on last night. Now all I need to do is torque them, which leads to another question. I know that the rear nuts require ~330 ft-lbs, but when I was tightening them, they seem to have bottomed out when I was just using my 18" breaker bar. This is disturbing since I know that I wasn't applying anywhere near the 330 ft-lbs, and now I'm concerned that torquing them to the 330 might strip the axle threads. Would you have any info on this? Also, seeing that you are a super user and given my lack of forum knowledge, should I post this question as a new thread?

many thanks
It is a "heavy pull" but it works. I either don't like the feeling of torquing down nuts with a lot of power. But the stud and nut is designed for this. Just be careful that ýou really set the socket well over the nut and pull the bar with a slow and distinct move. On the porsche race cars from 964RSR and onwards you use a center lock nut insted of the 5-lug pattern we have. These are torqued with 460 nm/330 lbs all the time when the wheels are going on and off. It's the same dimensions like we have. So just be brave and pull the bar!
Old 05-16-2019, 11:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Not to hijack this thread, but wasn't there a locking nut the rs cars used over the first nut? The inner nut was torqued to 330, and then the lock nut fit over that and was torqued to 120...iirc...

Is that lock nut available from Porsche?
Maybe that's the reason for the smaller nut they send now? I have received these smaller nuts as well, and had i never seen the larger nut, they wouldn't bug me. But they bug me. I want my big nuts...
I use this method on my track car where they have shown to loosen even when torqued properly.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:45 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 427 Likes on 277 Posts

Anthony- are those nuts available from Porsche or do you use an m22 that you purchase on your own..
Old 05-16-2019, 01:59 PM
ricks93-964
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all for the advice re torquing, but that's not really my problem. I figure that with the 18" breaker bar coupled with my weight, I applied a max of 200 ft-lbs,which was done by just pushing down with my hands/arms, not standing on the end of the breaker bar. My torquing came abruptly to an end at that point - It felt like to me that the nut had reached the end of the axle's threads. My fear is that torquing it to the required 330 ft-lbs might strip the threads on the axle. So my question to all is, am i being too paranoid and should just go with a longer breaker bar to get the required 330, or am I doing something incorrectly or have left something out causing the nut to bottom out too soon.

93 C4.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:27 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 427 Likes on 277 Posts

Yes. You didn't get to the end of the threads. That's not possible.

You can back the nut off and look. Long and short is, you won't get anywhere close to the right torque with an 18" breaker bar. 330lbs is huge. I use a torque multiplier and a 24" torque wrench when i do it.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:32 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks93-964
Thanks all for the advice re torquing, but that's not really my problem. I figure that with the 18" breaker bar coupled with my weight, I applied a max of 200 ft-lbs,which was done by just pushing down with my hands/arms, not standing on the end of the breaker bar. My torquing came abruptly to an end at that point - It felt like to me that the nut had reached the end of the axle's threads. My fear is that torquing it to the required 330 ft-lbs might strip the threads on the axle. So my question to all is, am i being too paranoid and should just go with a longer breaker bar to get the required 330, or am I doing something incorrectly or have left something out causing the nut to bottom out too soon.

93 C4.
The only time I have seen a situation where you reach the ends of the threads is when someone used cheap aftermarket Chinese made drive shafts and the material was inferior. It kept stretching the shaft until their was no threads left. I am assuming this is not the case? I would find someone with a proper torque wrench or pay someone it isn't worth taking a chance. ceased bearing or failed shaft can make for a dangerous situation.

Originally Posted by Goughary
Anthony- are those nuts available from Porsche or do you use an m22 that you purchase on your own..
I use an m22 I get from a local supplier.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:27 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just use a proper torque wrench. You are making this much too complicated. And if the threads stretch (which I highly doubt), then you need a new axle.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:13 PM
ricks93-964
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all. I've decided that I'm just being ridiculously paranoid. Going to take it to my buddy who runs a diesel shop and have him torque it to the proper 330 ft-lbs.

Quick Reply: Loose axle nut = damage to wheel bearing?