dtilly
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice planning
Old 03-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got around today to reading this enjoyable post and was reminded that it was exactly seven years ago today that I picked up my car in Houston and drove it back to Northern Virginia. Terrific trip (accompanied by my son!), terrific memories. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:10 PM
RacinToday
Instructor

Wow, thanks. Did the same thing in 2009. Flew to Denver, bought "Herrmann" and drove back to Kansas City. Only bummer was it was winter and nasty cold all the way home. And, every little noise had me worried. But, to Colo Kansas boder, cranked it up to big speeds. (Tear in eye).
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Curtis
Just got around today to reading this enjoyable post and was reminded that it was exactly seven years ago today that I picked up my car in Houston and drove it back to Northern Virginia. Terrific trip (accompanied by my son!), terrific memories. Thanks for sharing your experience.
That's a great story. What a wonderful experience you shared with your son! Great memories for both of you!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:00 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice car, and a big garage to call home. Welcome
Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 PM
tcabler
Banned

I'm originally from Houston and have made the road trip to Big Bend about three times so I recognize alot of the scenery. What a road trip! Too bad I didn't have my 964 back then! Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to pick mine up and roady on home. Mine was shipped from Ventura, CA about 2 months ago and arrived at midnight in St. Marys, KS where I live now. But ya know, I had the same reaction when I saw it. It was more incredible looking than I ever imagined. Any regrets I had about not buying a 993 or 996 quickly vanished.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:34 PM
JBaker1121
Advanced

nice thread! with the current 964's Im seeing I'll probably have to make a similar trip....she's a beauty
Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks again for all the comments everyone!

Originally Posted by jimq
Now do a search on fixing the front smile and it will look great
So many things on my to-do list, both wants and needs. I need to get started somewhere.

Originally Posted by ChaseN
BTW, whats the deal with the "US Citizen" thing? Did you go into Mexico? (Seems like a verifiable not-good idea in a Porsche...)
Originally Posted by shellback
I believe they have checkpoints (inside the US) near areas known for smuggling.
^What he said. I'm originally from a bordertown (not El Paso though), so i'm use to it. It's a Border Patrol checkpoint for citizenship and they have the drug dogs in full effect for smugglers and what not. Real effective stuff, lol, not!

Originally Posted by Regulatori
Ahh...no mention of my name?? haha

Vandit and I are friends on another forum and had a 100+ PM conversation about 964s. I think it was after I bought my car that it was the straw that broke the camel's back on his decision. We have two twins now...both white on black with cup wheels.

I laughed because he mentioned this fiancee disliking the 911 interior "smell"...and I got that same reaction with EVERY girl I dated.
This thread and this decision probably wouldn't have happened without all the back and forth between Regulatori and I. Super big thanks to him!

As far as the smell, it's great! I was in the museum in Zuffenhausen last weekend and caught whiff of that distinctive smell a few times. I turned to my co-worker and told him "Do you smell that??? That's what my garage smells like back home!!!" lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A photo journal of my trip into ownership. *very picture heavy*