Sponsored by:

Hagerty or Grundy Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hagerty or Grundy Insurance

For those of you that have had either one of these insurances carriers; I ask a question....

I have Hagerty for the last 6 years, now going on 7 and I tried calling Grundy today and they came in at a much nicer yearly priced coverage...

Any bad experiences with Grundy or should I stay with Hagerty???? Hagerty has a mileage cap where Grundy does not

The difference in price is pretty extreme between the two companies...but you know what they say...."You get what you pay for"

Please let me know your recommendation's
Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 PM
yumyum1667
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been with Grundy since last year. I like the 5k a year limit. One thing I did not like about Hagerty was you "can not run errands in it." Huh that means I can only take it to the mountains? Regardless of price this is why I went with Grundy.

What's weird though is with Hagerty you can drive to work occasionaly but with Grundy you can not.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

When I quoted them a few years ago, one of them (can't remember which) had some inane restriction about how old your other cars could be. The reasoning was, if one of your DD's was older than a certain age (like 7 years), it would be more likely to break, and you would be tempted to drive your Hagerty/Grundy-insured car - against the rules.

Can anyone share what they are paying, and for what coverage, in exchange for conforming to their rules?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

"American Modern Home" Collectors Vehicle Policy (have Classic plates)
agreed value of car $25K
annual mileage limit (with rollover) 3k "Occasional Pleasure Use" $312 per year.
$500 deductible. Wife is covered, but she doesn't know that.

Last edited by Laker; 03-22-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: updated deductible
Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
When I quoted them a few years ago, one of them (can't remember which) had some inane restriction about how old your other cars could be. The reasoning was, if one of your DD's was older than a certain age (like 7 years), it would be more likely to break, and you would be tempted to drive your Hagerty/Grundy-insured car - against the rules.

Can anyone share what they are paying, and for what coverage, in exchange for conforming to their rules?
Bearclaw...

My quote from Hagerty with a $0 deductible and only $18000 agreed value is $ $489 per year.... <--------- This is what I have currently...

If I change it to a $2500 deductible and $18000 agreed value then it goes to $367 per year..

or $2500 deductible and $$21000 agreed value = $418 per year.

Hmmmmm....
Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Originally Posted by Laker
agreed value of car $25K
annual mileage limit (with rollover) 3k "Occasional Pleasure Use" $312 per year

Laker....that is a very good price...I may look into that....I have until the end of April to decide....
Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker
agreed value of car $25K
annual mileage limit (with rollover) 3k "Occasional Pleasure Use" $312 per year
I pay around $300 a year with GEICO w/$1000 deductible. I have it listed as a 2nd/3rd car and one driver. No limits.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Originally Posted by jimq
I pay around $300 a year with GEICO w/$1000 deductible. I have it listed as a 2nd/3rd car and one driver. No limits.
Yes Jim...but what is the agreed upon value if the car gets damaged...i dont want blue book value payout if something does ever happen to my car...
Old 03-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Dave White
Racer

They all have some sort of restrictions. Believe it or not, state farm was the lowest until I told them I was having the engine modified, then they dropped me like a hot potato! I am using Leland West, which I believe is the American Mod. Home from above. They advertise in Pano. Their restrictions were with the age of the other cars, had to own house, had to have attatched garage, and maybe some others, but I got an agreed value at 35k as I just dropped a ton of money into the mods, and I still am about $500/yr. Once my car hits 25y/o, more options will open up as a lot of these companies need the "classic" plate. I currently am running a collector plate, but I don't think I needed to.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cobracarrera
Yes Jim...but what is the agreed upon value if the car gets damaged...i dont want blue book value payout if something does ever happen to my car...
don't matter anyway, if you have a claim and it's geico and they are paying the bill you will get screwed anyway.

First of all they don't like fixing cars. The would rather TL a car because it's easier for them and cost less in the long run.

The settlement will be the very lowest end of "fair market" value probably based on local area market and NADA book. Minus any other charges. Towing, rental car, storage, bodyshop teardown and inspection fees.

I was in the collision biz for five years and they did it all the time. They would take a perfectly fixable car and run up the estimate, adds, and fees and TL the car.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Dave White
Racer

likewise for safe auto
Old 03-22-2011, 11:45 PM
tcabler
Banned

I've got my '90 964 insured with USAA for $500 annually, $1000 deductable, and no driving restrictions. I could have gone with Hagerty, but they quoted me nearly the same premium, with pleasure driving only. Personally, I'd rather have a deductable and drive my porsche wherever and whenever I please.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Thanks for the numbers guys... As I recall, the Grundy or Haggerty quote I got for $25K agreed value was $350-$400/yr. I was about to take it off State Farm, but they miraculously came up with a "specialty car" policy at about $525/yr. It's $25K agreed value, $500 ded., and I think it's 4000 mi. yearly limit, but no other restrictions. The clincher was, it stays under my liability umbrella this way. I stayed with them because they're a known quantity to me. But I've learned over 20 yrs. of being a customer that if you don't monitor them, they'll creep the premium up over time with no reason. Call 'em on it, and they'll back off. It's a game.

The "agreed value" thing always bothers me. I've always imagined, if push comes to shove, it won't work the way I think it does. In this state, 70% loss against the value equal a total. Like Makmov says, they always seem to prefer to total, it's neater, cleaner and cost-effective for them.

The "American Modern Home" policy sounds like a great deal, as long as they perform if there's a claim. That's the big "If".

I remember from having to deal with my kids' accidents when they were novice drivers, the Gekco is a total @sshole to deal with. Ditto Pemco.

Barry
Old 03-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it sounds weired but settlements on autos is typically 70-90% of 70-75%.

Some sorta special insurance math...

I hated dealing with Geico too, I always got in fights with their adjusters. I don't know about the specialty insurance companies, but if you have file a claim and fix the car the best people to deal with are.

1. Farmers
2. State Farm
3. American Family
4. Esurance

Others that are not too bad to deal with but not as good as the above mentioned.

USSA
Safeco

most of the rest are Pirates

Progressive tops the list followed by Geico.

Progressive really flys in the face of many laws and statues that just are not enforced and the know it, they know they can get away with it, especailly where the collision associations are not that strong. It is a little different story where the collision associations are strong, fought Progressive and won. New Jersey is a leader here, and Texas, AZ they didn't let Progressive push them around.

Most of these namebrand insurance companies have sub-prime insurance too which for obvious reasons are not as good either. Allstate, I really expected more from these guys but they are Pirates too.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Some kid hit my kid's car many years ago, and they had American Family. They were great to deal with. The car was totaled, they paid a very fair value on it, and they added on pretty much all the repair money I had put into it in the previous year. Decent.

I've quoted Allstate, and have been astonished at the sky-high rates they come up with. But I do admit, they have great commercials. I love the 'Mayhem' guy.

I can't imagine going through somebody like Esurance - although I know they all have regulations they have to abide by. As you say though, the proof comes at claim time, god forbid.

Progressive - I've heard plenty bad, but I will say this about them: I used them for a few years for my daughter's car when she was excluded from SF. I went to them because a buddy said, "Trust me, they'll take anybody. I believe they would insure a monkey". Their rates were decent for high-risk, and she had one minor parking lot scrape from a hit-and-run, and they were easy and fair to deal with.

Haha, I hate their commercials. Screw Flo (go on now, tell me you haven't thought about it )
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Hagerty or Grundy Insurance