Sponsored by:

Minor accident, value of car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Idiot964Owner
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor accident, value of car?

So the other night driving home I clipped the side of a parked truck, I didn't even see it till the last second (no neighorhood street lights).

Anyway the damage isn't too bad, the fender needs to be replaced, the mirror got whacked off and there is a few dents along the side especially in the wheel bulge.

I'm going to replace all the parts and the accident was reported I'm just wondering how much this will hurt my car's value its in very nice condition although it is my DD.

Not the best week I've had
Old 03-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

You're probably going to want to document the damage as-is, the repair process (OEM parts used, high quality job, etc.), and the outcome very thoroughly. You can't make the accident disappear, but being able to quantify the damage and demonstrate the qualify of the repair is going to be much more helpful than being vague and leaving unanswered questions when it comes time to resell.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:12 PM
campoj2
Racer

Pictures?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 PM
kboustani
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

i would deffinetly take pictures for you records.it will not be a big deal to the next pwner if they can see the accident was a minor one.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:43 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm in the process of trying to sell and the #1 question is "Does it have original paint?" Not sure why people are so obsessed with this on a 20 year old car but it's on their minds. I'd be much more concerned about poor maintenance and mechanical issues given that the car checks out and there's no evidence of a serious crash.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 AM
windblown
Instructor

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
I'm in the process of trying to sell and the #1 question is "Does it have original paint?" Not sure why people are so obsessed with this on a 20 year old car but it's on their minds. I'd be much more concerned about poor maintenance and mechanical issues given that the car checks out and there's no evidence of a serious crash.
Much more straight forward and cost effective to repair a bad paint job and a few dents than a poorly maintained, worn out Porsche.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
I guess, if the answer is "yes" to the original-paint question, that would more than likely preclude a "serious crash". I think it probably depends on what a buyer's intent for the car is. If they're looking for a 100K+-mile driver, then why worry about original paint? But if they're looking for a lower-mile example as a casual toy & long-term "keeper", then I can understand looking for originality. I did. Just depends where your interests in having the car lie. There's a certain cachet in originality. It's like virginity - once it's gone, you can't buy it back.

That's obviously not to say mechanicals are not important, of course. But good-quality paint and bodywork is expensive, and it's true that you can potentially blow a lot of cash trying to correct previous paint problems.
Just my $.02.
I really dread the day I try to sell mine, I'm a PITA as a car buyer and as karma goes, I will probably have a bunch of guys like ME responding to my ads.

To the OP, as mentioned I think pics & documentation are your friends in this situation, to show that the incident was less severe than people might imagine.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Idiot964Owner
Intermediate

Thanks for the answers guys, its a bit depressing the whole situation. I've taken many pictures and now I just have to wait for the insurance adjuster.

Quick Reply: Minor accident, value of car?