Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 TURBO or RS wanted... VALUES & PRODUCTION nos

 
Old 03-09-2011, 06:27 PM
  #16  
Barty964rst
User
 
Barty964rst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Viper Green, Surrey, UK
Posts: 385
Default

I think the 3.8 RS and 3.8 RSR have a way to go yet. When you look at the previous RS interations on the 2.7, 2.8 and 3.0 litre RS and RSR platforms.

12 years ago I looked at and couldn't afford a 2.8 RSR at £78k the cars are now > £500k.

18 months ago I was offered a 2.7 LHD German Lightweight 3 owner car for £110 or near offer. How much would that car be worth now £150 - £250k ???

However much the cars seem hyped at today's market value, they are rare, sort after and Porsche will never make similiar models again.

With the far east and China looking to emulate Western trends joined with a bouyant eastern market, rare models will only keep creeping up IMO.

Since Xmas these are trends in UK

RHD 964 RS is now £100k -$162k
964 Turbo S is easily >£120k -$166
RHD 993 RS are £120k -£150k -- $166k /$208k
RHD 993 GT2 have sold for £275k -$445k




Buy Buy Buy!!!!! - +20% increase in 2011 - FACT!
Barty964rst is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 07:21 PM
  #17  
RS man
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
RS man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,290
Default

964 Turbo S in UK was a 3.3 if I remember correctly and not a 3.6 - this was the Turbo version of the RS. Also he may be too late to consider the RS versions as an investment. I doubt the cars will continue to double in price every 4-5 years but at least it should not lose value.
RS man is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 08:48 PM
  #18  
Porsche964FP
Super User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London UK
Posts: 2,655
Default

I'm familiar with the 3.8 RSR but what is the 3.8RS?
Attached Images  
Porsche964FP is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 03:12 AM
  #19  
freedman
User
 
freedman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bromley, Kent
Posts: 1,770
Default

From Wiki, but is correct IIRC

A later ultra-limited production version, the Carrera RS 3.8 featuring the Turbo body and a 300 bhp (224 kW; 304 PS) 3.8 litre version of the M64 motor was sold briefly in Europe

And it seens there were Turbo S versions in 3.3 and 3.6 though most of the 3.6 being slant nosed (and there werent many of either version)
freedman is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 03:58 AM
  #20  
Carlos993
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 356
Default

Here's a pix of my 964 Turbo S Lightweight, essentially the first iteration of what is now the GT2 RS, and I think a similar concept in the 993 GT2. Porsche trimmed down the Turbo body to RS style weight removing about 200 kgs to 1290, pumped up the 3.3 Turbo to 381 hp (from 325 if I recall correctly), and made 81 or 86 (depending on who is counting). Interior is similar to 964 RS, stripped down including the bucket seats and no AC.
Attached Images  
Carlos993 is online now  
Old 03-10-2011, 08:16 AM
  #21  
freedman
User
 
freedman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bromley, Kent
Posts: 1,770
Default

Carlos,

Your car is stunning

freedman is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 AM
  #22  
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
cobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 17,233
Default

Originally Posted by Barty964rst View Post
I think the 3.8 RS and 3.8 RSR have a way to go yet. When you look at the previous RS interations on the 2.7, 2.8 and 3.0 litre RS and RSR platforms.

12 years ago I looked at and couldn't afford a 2.8 RSR at £78k the cars are now > £500k.

18 months ago I was offered a 2.7 LHD German Lightweight 3 owner car for £110 or near offer. How much would that car be worth now £150 - £250k ???

However much the cars seem hyped at today's market value, they are rare, sort after and Porsche will never make similiar models again.

With the far east and China looking to emulate Western trends joined with a bouyant eastern market, rare models will only keep creeping up IMO.

Since Xmas these are trends in UK

RHD 964 RS is now £100k -$162k
964 Turbo S is easily >£120k -$166
RHD 993 RS are £120k -£150k -- $166k /$208k
RHD 993 GT2 have sold for £275k -$445k




Buy Buy Buy!!!!! - +20% increase in 2011 - FACT!
Well I did say the US market is different. A friend of mine picked up a factory 2.8RSR about a year ago for $260k The market here seems to be depreciating. the Turbo S's here have been in a slump with a few sitting at around $160k and not selling. We unfortunately don't have 993RS's or 993GT2's here. But as with the 2.7 RS prices have dropped by half of what they were a few years ago.


Originally Posted by Porsche964FP View Post
I'm familiar with the 3.8 RSR but what is the 3.8RS?
Spec sheets attached. Sorry they are not too clear.


Originally Posted by freedman View Post
From Wiki, but is correct IIRC

A later ultra-limited production version, the Carrera RS 3.8 featuring the Turbo body and a 300 bhp (224 kW; 304 PS) 3.8 litre version of the M64 motor was sold briefly in Europe

And it seens there were Turbo S versions in 3.3 and 3.6 though most of the 3.6 being slant nosed (and there werent many of either version)

I want this car.
Attached Images     
cobalt is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 10:22 AM
  #23  
Porsche964FP
Super User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London UK
Posts: 2,655
Default

This is truly becoming very interesting.
Porsche964FP is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 02:58 PM
  #24  
LastMezger
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LastMezger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 6th gear!
Posts: 3,911
Default

Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
Honestly I doubt either the RS, 3.8RS/RSR or turbo S can go any higher in value. They have already hit the stratosphere and although you might not loose money odds are they will not see significant gains. These cars see a steep drop in value as mileage increases.

Production numbers on the 964 Turbo 3.6 are greater for the ROW market but I think relatively low in the UK. In the US they have dropped because of the bad economy although very few cars come up for sale. With less than 300 available for the entire US market I don't see why they shouldn't increase in value as the market improves but as newer cars continue to depreciate the interest is not as great as it was a few years back. I am assuming it is similar there.

These cars should hold there value better than your average Porsche but it is a crap shoot.
Do you think that right-hand drive helps or hinders appreciation? On the one hand it limits market size...on the other there's lots of money in the UK and if you want a RHD car there are only so many and there are other affluent RHD markets? Maybe it makes no difference.
LastMezger is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 04:10 PM
  #25  
freedman
User
 
freedman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bromley, Kent
Posts: 1,770
Default

what about this for an investment

http://www.911virgin.com/porscheforsale/284/964RSLHD/

Potentially a good but I'd say

I would lose the rear wing (good on a 993 but not a 964 IMO) and tone down some of the interior, but apart from that its very nice
freedman is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 PM
  #26  
geordie
User
 
geordie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA/UK
Posts: 501
Default

Originally Posted by freedman View Post
what about this for an investment

http://www.911virgin.com/porscheforsale/284/964RSLHD/

Potentially a good but I'd say

I would lose the rear wing (good on a 993 but not a 964 IMO) and tone down some of the interior, but apart from that its very nice
From memory, that car has been hawked around a couple of dealers, over the last year or two.

When new, perhaps the Techart spec was attractive to some; now I suspect a standard 964RS with similar miles would be worth more. I agree that a few mods whilst retaining the Techart bits for the future, might be the way to go ...
geordie is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 09:23 PM
  #27  
Barty964rst
User
 
Barty964rst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Viper Green, Surrey, UK
Posts: 385
Default

[QUOTE=geordie;8373010]From memory, that car has been hawked around a couple of dealers, over the last year or two.

When new, perhaps the Techart spec was attractive to some; now I suspect a standard 964RS with similar miles would be worth more. I agree that a few mods whilst retaining the Techart bits for the future, might be the way to go ...[/QUOTE


Totally Agree!

Amateurs!!!

Quote from the advert 'Some will say that a 964RS should be left alone'

Quote the 'B****y Obvious!

If you need to improve the standard, do what the factory did for comp!! No more, as it is not necessary!

This car will always be worth less than an a 'factory version/ standard', no matter who had a hand in its mutilation!
Barty964rst is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 09:52 PM
  #28  
LastMezger
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LastMezger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 6th gear!
Posts: 3,911
Default

Originally Posted by Carlos993 View Post
Here's a pix of my 964 Turbo S Lightweight, essentially the first iteration of what is now the GT2 RS, and I think a similar concept in the 993 GT2. Porsche trimmed down the Turbo body to RS style weight removing about 200 kgs to 1290, pumped up the 3.3 Turbo to 381 hp (from 325 if I recall correctly), and made 81 or 86 (depending on who is counting). Interior is similar to 964 RS, stripped down including the bucket seats and no AC.
OMFG!
LastMezger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 964 TURBO or RS wanted... VALUES & PRODUCTION nos


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: