Sponsored by:

Broken 3-flat pin connector in engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:51 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Broken 3-flat pin connector in engine

Bilstein HD and H&R greens are now in the car. I cannot really judge the improvement because my alignment is so bad that it is not safe to take a fast corner. The appearance however is spot on!

I always read the forums and study the DIY's for any job I'm about to tackle and for the 99% of the time the information is great. BUT whoever says the rears shock/springs are easier to install than the fronts is insane. There is so little room to work a socket onto the top nuts of the rear shocks it is a bear! The standoffs on the bolts of the rear shocks are horrifying to work around.

On the rear driver's side behind the heater blower there is a vertical metal standoff/junction for numerous hoses and electrical connections (Note remove at least the top 2 hoses from this wire/hose tree before even trying to get near the nuts of strut mount).

Well when I tried to plug every thing back together this 3 flat pin connector literally disintegrated in my hands. I know that it is important because the car will not start when it is disconnected. I was able to seat the pins into the connector and wrap with electrical tape but I want to find a replacement connector.

Is this a standard electrical part or do I need to order from Porsche?

Thanks
Mike B
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2011, 06:43 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Green = knock sensor on bank 1
White = NTC1 or cylinder head temp sensor
Black = RPM speed sensor (flywheel pick up)

You need to buy & fit a brand new speed sensor, however the new sensor will come with a different male plug, so you will also have to change the female plug on the wiring loom to fit it. Porsche sell a kit for this conversion with the correct socket, seals (for the wires) and crimp terminals.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the plastic connector you need and can probably help you repair it over the phone. You can call me tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:08 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Ouch. Not what I was hoping to hear.

I wonder if they changed the connection plugs because of the way they appear to fail over time. The male side literally turned to dust in my hands. The female side seems fine.

The wires are still good and the connection is made with my electrical tape setup. I'm hoping for a cheaper option. It is just a connection right?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:10 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Hi Geoffrey, I think we were posting at exactly the same time. I would really like to speak with you tomorrow!!

Thanks

Mike Baker
Old 05-15-2013, 11:51 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Apologies for dragging up an old thread but this exact same thing happened to me while pulling out the engine.

Does anyone know the part number for the Porsche adapter kit suggested by Colin?

Quick Reply: Broken 3-flat pin connector in engine