Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water ingress in rightside footwell.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 11:06 AM
rarebear
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did the test, water came out freely underneath the car....
Old 03-04-2011, 11:22 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had this, it was the membrane behind the door panel as Big'un suggested. I assume you checked that?
Old 03-04-2011, 02:46 PM
rarebear
Racer

Yes , I did. But it is bonedry, but it has not rained for days, have to wait for a downpour, Also heard about the seal of the boot ???
Old 08-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Son's engineer
Cruisin'

I have a leak problem that is proving difficult to solve. Water has been getting into the driver and passenger footwell to quite a serious degree. Have done the following tests and work but it is still a problem:
- checked all roof drains and all are OK
- Had special sealing job done on windscreen seal
- had new front bonnet seal rubber fitted
- checked the 2 drains under the car and they appeared to be clear
- condensation from aircon appears to drain out OK
The water comes in when either washing car or when standing or driving in rain (of course). Appears to be entering the footwells in area either side of the central tunnel. When cornering then water appears to get worse on one side.
Has anyone any ideas?
Thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Are you sure that your A/C drains are clear? After clearing them, I would suggest pouring water into the fresh air intake to confirm that the water is flowing out of both drains.

Also, have you checked door window seals and door drains?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Son's engineer
Cruisin'

Thanks Rob - am going to do the water test. My 911 engineer friend reckons the door seals and drains are OK. Since the water seems to be coming out of the footwell vents he suspects the heater box may have a problem but that will be a pig to get into. I wonder if a snakescope can be easily got into it to take a look. Or perhaps can try some compressed air up the drains to see if it clears anything.
Lawrence
Old 08-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

This was the thread of my issue. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ater-vent.html
Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Son's engineer
Cruisin'

Thanks Rob,
That is a good thread. I shall recheck those drains using a longish length of wire and perhaps comp air. I am still not too clear about the fresh air servo point. It was working last time I checked it but did not know the CCU closed it at speed. Am also not clear what the last post means when it says "bellows seal" - perhaps the bellows are item 23 on illustration 813-05 in the parts list. But which part is the bellows seal?
Lawrence
Old 08-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Lawrence - I'm not 100% sure but pictured #23 on that illustration. If that seal was leaking, water would get into the trunk area. But I'm having trouble imagining that the water would get into the passenger compartment from that.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Son's engineer
Cruisin'

Thanks anyway Rob. I shall have some time this weekend to take a more detailed look at the car.
Lawrence
Old 08-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Son's engineer
Cruisin'

Hi Rob,
I took out the carpet underlay and found only a trace of water in driver's side and none in passenger side and so the new bonnet seal is doing a good job (the carpet underlays used to be totally saturated before). I then did the water test (pouring it in through the heater box grill) and it drained straight out of the bottom drains and none went into the car. I then took off the grill to the heater box and spotted the bellows seal inside. Could not see any splits. I then did a check on the fresh air flap and it opened and closed OK. It has rained heavily overnight and still no water has gone into car. My son saw the water enter the car when he was driving and so I surmise it must have got past the fresh air flap somehow. I have never understood the full logic of the CCU and so perhaps the fresh air flap was open at some stage while driving and let the water in. Anyway, its something that can be lived with.
Lawrence
Old 08-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear things are better with the new bonnet seal. But there must be something else faulty too because water should not be getting into the car.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 PM
cobias1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is also a plastic plug of sorts underneath these cars. I found it while I was doing the steering rack. basically looks like nothing til you pull on it and in its 20 yr old rotted state pops off. should be able to see it also under the carpet underlays. However you ( I would suppose ) you would possibly get water into the car if the roadway was wet and you dont have the air slicker shield underneath as I dont. Anyhow, maybe something else to check on.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 PM
tokoro
Instructor

Default test fresh air

Originally Posted by Son's engineer
Hi Rob,
I took out the carpet underlay and found only a trace of water in driver's side and none in passenger side and so the new bonnet seal is doing a good job (the carpet underlays used to be totally saturated before). I then did the water test (pouring it in through the heater box grill) and it drained straight out of the bottom drains and none went into the car. I then took off the grill to the heater box and spotted the bellows seal inside. Could not see any splits. I then did a check on the fresh air flap and it opened and closed OK. It has rained heavily overnight and still no water has gone into car. My son saw the water enter the car when he was driving and so I surmise it must have got past the fresh air flap somehow. I have never understood the full logic of the CCU and so perhaps the fresh air flap was open at some stage while driving and let the water in. Anyway, its something that can be lived with.
Lawrence
How can i test the fresh air flaps???

Quick Reply: water ingress in rightside footwell.