Sponsored by:

Kennedy Motorsports: Beware

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:16 AM
robingb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kennedy Motorsports: Beware

I just had a horrible experience with Ryan Kennedy who owns Kennedy Motorsports. Last Saturday I agreed to pay full price and made a deposit on a 1992 911 they had on consignment. It was advertised here last Friday in the classifieds as "good as new, none nicer". I was also told by Mr. Kennedy , a self proclaimed expert in re P cars, that the car was "perfect with all original paint" and the price was fixed.. As it turned out, car was not so perfect. I learned this mid Monday morning when Mr. Kennedy called and told me that he had just discovered rust in the cowl of the car (as well as a repainted hood). Nevertheless, I told Mr. Kennedy I still really wanted the car. He assured me he would give me first chance to buy it once the rust was repaired. He also assured me he would work with the owner to adjust price to let me do the rust repair. On Tuesday morning I woke up to an email from Mr. Kennedy simply stating that car was sold. To say the least, I was stunned! I just don't know for sure what happened although, upon reflection, i have a suspicion. At 7 o'clock Monday morning i awakened with a call from Mr. Kennedy telling me he had received extraordinary interest in the car over the weekend and wanted to make sure i wanted to proceed. I think i disappointed him when I said did. Then, a few hours later, I received the aforementioned call from Mr. Kennedy disclosing the newly discovered rust. My suspicion is the existence of this rust was made up as a way to effectively nullify our agreement so the car could be sold for more. That's just a suspicion. In any event, I am still trying to recover my deposit, Mr. Kennedy assures me its coming but i have reason NOT to believe him.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:26 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a simple contract law issue as you had an agreement - which would be hard to dispute as you even went the next step and made a deposit.

Why dont you take it further and seek legal advice?

Maybe do some research and work out what remedies would be realistic for your situation.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

These thing happen, I'd just concentrate on getting my deposit back and not worry about it. No everyone does business straight up, and who knows what the real story here was. Thinking philosophically this morning, obviously this wasn't the car for you...
Old 02-17-2011, 09:56 AM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar experience with that seller a few years ago. I can't say that I would recommend this dealer to a potential buyer.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...le-seller.html
Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Grazie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly there a quite a few people out there that are less than genuine when it comes to this process....and fortunately a bunch that are. I have found out on more than one "deal" that has "fallen through". When this happens to me I try to focus not on the "car that got away" but rather the fact that I was saved from actually doing business with this person....as if they are not upfront in their dealings there is a decent chance there are other lurking "issues" that you wouldn't want to find out about after the purchase.

I think that leveraging this board for inputs on dealers and getting an independent PPI before purchase from an individual that can be reasonably validated (again, via this board is a good way) is about the best one can do.

Quick Reply: Kennedy Motorsports: Beware