993 Forum 1995-1998

Less than honorable seller

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:29 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Less than honorable seller

I’m trying to figure out if this is the right way to buy/sell a car. On Tuesday, Jan 15, I found a ’95 993 in Daytona Beach in the Rennlist classifieds and called the dealer selling it to see if it was still for sale and if I could have it sent somewhere for a PPI. It was still for sale but he didn’t want to let the car leave his place for the PPI. He offered to let someone of my choosing come to his shop and perform the PPI there. I said “Thank you”, and I would get back with him if I was interested. I forgot to ask for a VIN to do a Carfax check until after the shop closed for the day. I decided to take a chance and caught an early flight the next day to take a look at the car. I showed up at the dealer/repair facility at 7:55 am, 5 minutes before it was supposed to open and the owner let me in. I asked if the car was still for sale. He again confirmed that it was and I was free to take a look around. The car passed my initial look. I asked if I could take it for a test drive and then have a compression and leak-down check done when I got back. He asked if we could reverse the order so the engine wouldn’t be hot. It sounded reasonable and I agreed. He put it on the rack and performed both checks. The results showed a very tight engine.

While the owner and his assistant were reinstalling the spark plugs and taking the car off the lift I told them I was going to call my wife for the Carfax since I now had the VIN. This is the first time I left the garage area since the car was put on the rack. [By this time it was 9:45 am and I had been there for an hour and 45 min.] I was on the phone with my wife for about 3 minutes when the owner came out of the garage and said the car had been sold. I told my wife I’d call her back and then walked into the office where the owner was writing down a credit card #. He said a down payment was put on the car and that it was sold. [I don’t remember hearing a phone ring so I’m thinking he made a call to the guy with the credit card but can’t verify.] I asked how he could do that since I was actively pursuing the car and I was standing in front of him ready to make a purchase if it passed the test drive. The dealer, in talking to this other person, divulged the favorable results of the checks, which I had asked for (to be fair I wasn’t paying for the inspections). He didn’t give me first right of refusal even though I was there in person. The conversation continued for about 20 min as to why he was going to sell it to the guy that gave his card # vs. me standing there ready to make a full out purchase. I didn’t see any reason why it wouldn’t pass a test drive and getting the money to the seller was not an issue.

The story with the perspective buyer was that he had already called on an earlier day and had a friend stop by to take a look at the car. Based on the friend’s inspection, the buyer bought a ticket to go to Daytona on Monday, Jan 21. He never put any money down on the car until I was at the shop. Now that it had passed the checks and someone else was seriously interested, he wanted to get his foot in the door. I don’t fault the buyer; I would have tried the same thing. The dealer, in my opinion, made a bad decision by selling to someone else without giving me an opportunity.

This is my first time buying a car of this caliber. I understand cars and feel confident working on them. This kind of sales tactic is new to me. Is what happened considered normal? Can I expect this when I pursue this type of purchase or is this an isolated case? I won’t mention the facility’s name but I will say Daytona Beach is a small place.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:37 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that just seems very uncool. If there was no money on the table from buyer #1 then it should have been fair game for you to buy. If #1 came back and you had put $$ down on it then he'd become #2. Mr. Seller may have felt like he was giving proper service (first come first serve), but still probably should have gone about it with you a bit different (like make you aware someone else had done the same diligence and has first right to it)
Hmmm.....hard spot for all.
GL with the quest, and make sure to spend the best $17 bucks you'll ever spend and join RL
Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Hey, I know of another eeeeeeasy deal in Vero Beach! https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/403987-neurotic-seller-story-updated.html

Just kidding. No, these transactions should be super simple. I'd be pissed off I were there at the dealer. Good luck with the hunt.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:01 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the other hand, you would have thought it was a pressure tactic if he came to you and said that he had a buyer on the phone and did you want to buy it right now or not.

There is a good chance that you just didn't hear the phone when it rang.

Bob
Old 01-18-2008, 11:43 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Yeah, he kinda screwed you over but as you said, you had "...decided to take a chance..." Truth is, "taking a chance" usually doesn't work out. That's why it's so sweet when it does.

The best way to avoid this kind of thing is to do what the other buyer did...Put a deposit down and then take you time about completing the PPI, CarFax, and test drive.

Oh, and don't get too bummed out about it. There are plenty of 993s for sale and most of the folks selling them are pretty nice people. You'll find yours.

Terry
Old 01-18-2008, 11:53 PM
banzai993
Racer

I had a very similar experience about 10 years ago trying to buy a 928S in Atlanta at an exotic car dealership that has long since been out of business...

Emphasis on those last 9 words

Everything happens for a reason.. SWSWSWN

Some Will Some Wont So What Next!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:10 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

This is why a private seller is the way to go - I really don't like the fact that Rennlist allows dealers/used-car-sellers to advertise, but we're now owned by a bigger animal.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:38 AM
sigf
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

When I bought mine, I remember the "hunt" as a big part of the fun... An honorable seller will make it easy to work the deal.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:47 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Although you took a chance and are out the cost of your flights, the dealer was less than honorable. I'm sure you made some mention of the fact that you flew in from out of state and that you were seriously interested in the car. At that moment, the dealer should have informed you that he already had a buyer on the sidelines. If indeed he did.

I think I would have reached low-Earth orbit in your shoes.

Although there are always two sides to every story, you would do your fellow forum members a great service by identifying the dealership.

Andreas
Old 01-19-2008, 10:17 AM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 227 Posts

As soon as he said it can't leave the lot, I would have moved on. At least for me, its that simple.....
Old 01-19-2008, 10:38 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Similar thing happened to me years back. The seller tried to back out and sell it for a higher price even after I left a $500 deposit. PPI came out clean and I pushed the seller into selling me the 993.

Next time leave a deposit especially if you plan to fly out to see a car.

Originally Posted by jhummel68
I’m trying to figure out if this is the right way to buy/sell a car. On Tuesday, Jan 15, I found a ’95 993 in Daytona Beach in the Rennlist classifieds and called the dealer selling it to see if it was still for sale and if I could have it sent somewhere for a PPI. It was still for sale but he didn’t want to let the car leave his place for the PPI. He offered to let someone of my choosing come to his shop and perform the PPI there. I said “Thank you”, and I would get back with him if I was interested. I forgot to ask for a VIN to do a Carfax check until after the shop closed for the day. I decided to take a chance and caught an early flight the next day to take a look at the car. I showed up at the dealer/repair facility at 7:55 am, 5 minutes before it was supposed to open and the owner let me in. I asked if the car was still for sale. He again confirmed that it was and I was free to take a look around. The car passed my initial look. I asked if I could take it for a test drive and then have a compression and leak-down check done when I got back. He asked if we could reverse the order so the engine wouldn’t be hot. It sounded reasonable and I agreed. He put it on the rack and performed both checks. The results showed a very tight engine.

While the owner and his assistant were reinstalling the spark plugs and taking the car off the lift I told them I was going to call my wife for the Carfax since I now had the VIN. This is the first time I left the garage area since the car was put on the rack. [By this time it was 9:45 am and I had been there for an hour and 45 min.] I was on the phone with my wife for about 3 minutes when the owner came out of the garage and said the car had been sold. I told my wife I’d call her back and then walked into the office where the owner was writing down a credit card #. He said a down payment was put on the car and that it was sold. [I don’t remember hearing a phone ring so I’m thinking he made a call to the guy with the credit card but can’t verify.] I asked how he could do that since I was actively pursuing the car and I was standing in front of him ready to make a purchase if it passed the test drive. The dealer, in talking to this other person, divulged the favorable results of the checks, which I had asked for (to be fair I wasn’t paying for the inspections). He didn’t give me first right of refusal even though I was there in person. The conversation continued for about 20 min as to why he was going to sell it to the guy that gave his card # vs. me standing there ready to make a full out purchase. I didn’t see any reason why it wouldn’t pass a test drive and getting the money to the seller was not an issue.

The story with the perspective buyer was that he had already called on an earlier day and had a friend stop by to take a look at the car. Based on the friend’s inspection, the buyer bought a ticket to go to Daytona on Monday, Jan 21. He never put any money down on the car until I was at the shop. Now that it had passed the checks and someone else was seriously interested, he wanted to get his foot in the door. I don’t fault the buyer; I would have tried the same thing. The dealer, in my opinion, made a bad decision by selling to someone else without giving me an opportunity.

This is my first time buying a car of this caliber. I understand cars and feel confident working on them. This kind of sales tactic is new to me. Is what happened considered normal? Can I expect this when I pursue this type of purchase or is this an isolated case? I won’t mention the facility’s name but I will say Daytona Beach is a small place.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:39 AM
bill930p
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about Ryan Kennedy?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I informed a seller that I was bringing my mechanic and a flatbed to his house to look at his car, intent on buying if his car was as stated. After looking the car over, which was as advertised, I offered him his asking price in cash. As I began to reach for the money, he informed me that it was now an auction, that he had other buyers coming and that he would accept the highest offer. I questioned whether this was really ethical, pointing out that he had basically wasted my and my mechanic's time, he should have informed me in our numerous conversations before I came over if it was to be an "auction". I did see someone else arriving as I left. 20 minutes down the road he called to tell me that although he had been offered more, he felt bad and would now accept my offer. I had the pleasure of informing him that I wouldn't buy a car from someone that acted in the manner that he did.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:03 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by banzai993
I had a very similar experience about 10 years ago trying to buy a 928S in Atlanta at an exotic car dealership that has long since been out of business...

I bet that dealership was located in Buckhead and had a bunch of snooty Teutonic salesmen...

"Eet ees a Carrrrrerah! You don't wait and see weeth a Carrrrerah! You buy the Carrrrerah eemmediately or eet will be gone!"

I didn't buy it.

Terry
Old 01-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Svaha
I informed a seller that I was bringing my mechanic and a flatbed to his house to look at his car, intent on buying if his car was as stated. After looking the car over, which was as advertised, I offered him his asking price in cash. As I began to reach for the money, he informed me that it was now an auction, that he had other buyers coming and that he would accept the highest offer. I questioned whether this was really ethical, pointing out that he had basically wasted my and my mechanic's time, he should have informed me in our numerous conversations before I came over if it was to be an "auction". I did see someone else arriving as I left. 20 minutes down the road he called to tell me that although he had been offered more, he felt bad and would now accept my offer. I had the pleasure of informing him that I wouldn't buy a car from someone that acted in the manner that he did.
Good for you! It would be better for all of us if more people told sellers like this to go screw themselves. Hopefully it will be karma and he'll wind up having to sell for less than you offered, would serve him right.

I've sold 5 vehicles in the last 1.5 yrs and the only one I requested a deposit on was a motorcycle that the buyer wanted me to keep in my garage for a couple of months until he could fly down to pick up. I'm very accommodating to buyers unless I think they're trying to take advantage of me and then I'll be very quick to to tell them to take a hike.

Quick Reply: Less than honorable seller