Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing hood shocks (or trying**)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:50 AM
ronone10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too replaced my hood shocks two weeks ago and followed the directions below...I assume this is the same in the DIY Forum...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ferrerid=32816

You have to get a long narrow screw driver and place the blade underneath the clip and push down away from you. The clip will fly off and then you can pull the shock off and up. It took me about 10 tries before it finally popped off. Very tight space as you know. I wedged a flashlight next to me to help get some light down there.

What helped me was getting the shock prepped as described in the DIY. You have to move the clip down and pushing it with a screw driver too hard forced the clip to pop off. I did put it back on and now I had a good idea on how much force was needed to pop off the clip on the old shock.

Last edited by ronone10; 02-13-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Moffman
... I'm telling you man I dont see/feel where the clip is.
Sounds like you got the clip off, now it is just a matter of prying the lower part off the ball horizontally.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:41 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Moffman
This is ridiculous its been 2 hours now and I still cant get the passenger side off, I don't even see the rivet between the brace I reached my hand down felt around it still no rivet, what the hell
In 2 hrs, you could have researched the "replace front fans" DIY, removed and replaced the fuse box and firewall, and had clear access to the bottom of the shock!

Hang in there. Sometimes those first-time jobs can eat your lunch until you figure out the tricks.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:44 PM
mrmandmman
Racer

I remember that side being a little bit of a pain.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 AM
cobias1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine about 2 weeks ago. Only problem I had was the top pin had to be tapped out with a hammer and smallish punch. locating and pushing on the bottom part was a bit of a pain too along with a gust of wind every now and then while it was 35 F out. I did leave off the plastic peice as it just seemed useless at the time.

Quick Reply: Removing hood shocks (or trying**)