Sponsored by:

QUESTION FOR RS EXPERTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 05:55 PM
MRH
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default QUESTION FOR RS EXPERTS

Can one of the RS experts offer any insight on this car?

http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car...cache=1&ret=63

I was ready to dismiss it as an RS but there are a few things that made me give it a second look. Does anyone know the car? Thanks.

Mark
Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 PM
rocketdogbert
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't look like any Euro RS I've ever seen.

As far as I know, the only 964 widebody RS is the 3.8, and it's not one of them.

The interior is wrong as well

John
Old 02-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Adrian's book, page 29 mentions a 1992 Carrera RS Touring, which wasn't stripped (A/C, Sunroof, headlight washers, DMF, power steering electric mirrors "and many other comfort items"), the picture in the book is not that of a widebody

and I'm no expert, just the book owner ;-)

Last edited by Laker; 02-03-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:01 PM
MRH
Instructor

Thanks John and Laker, I just ordered a copy of Adrians book. I first thought it was a C4 widebody with a few RS touches. But the more I look at it the more it has that feel of being "right". The deleted rear seats and the lightweight rear carpets look legit. Also, the front seats appear to be tri-colored. I have seen those seats in an RS Touring before. Lastly, it sure looks like the diff. lock switch on the center console is missing making this a two wheel drive car. Interesting...... I have made several inquiries to the seller but no reply.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MRH
.... I have made several inquiries to the seller but no reply.

Is the date of the advert ---> 10/19/2008 ? That could explain it
Old 02-03-2011, 04:18 AM
Unkle
Pro

Good point Laker, I was also surprised to see the old style engine lid lock in the rear panel, I thought that stop in 1990? Perhpas the RS kept it going but i thought that was changed in 1991
Old 02-03-2011, 04:24 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MRH
Can one of the RS experts offer any insight on this car?

http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car...cache=1&ret=63

I was ready to dismiss it as an RS but there are a few things that made me give it a second look. Does anyone know the car? Thanks.

Mark
Hi Mark, I'd thread with caution here.....back in the days anything was possible with Porsche exclusive, however I very much doubt this car is a true RS without first seeing proof through chassis and engine numbers.

It has some RS cues (rear bumper, badges, multi color seats and red seat belts), why is the RS steering wheel missing, why does the rear compartment look so DIY / 'messy'?

As said only the very rare RS 3.8 came as a widebody. A 3.6 touring version does exist with sunroof, electric windows etc. , it does however have the alloy boot lid, I also think it has the battery main switch (not 100% sure).

For an €82K car the presentation is very messy.....

As said check engine and chassis codes to be RS specific.

Rgds,

Harald
Old 02-03-2011, 06:44 AM
sergiDA
Instructor

This car has been in the market for 2 /1/2 years now.

It is no longer in Valencia but in Andorra.

It is a True RS Touring, but a Major crash destroyed the body and when rebuilt they installed a turbo look structure. I havent seen the car myself but have discussed with the current holder and some other friends who know its story and the whole think is very very strange.

Current price in autoscout are 48k €.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:32 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

If it were originally an RS, they didnt make much effort top replicate it when they rebuilt it did they

Parcel shelf, rear side panels shouldnt be there

Bonnet on stuts instead of a prop (so guess no alloy bonnet)

Full front carpet instead of RS half version

A real dogs dinner, especially for that money, and look at the state of the engine bay
Old 02-03-2011, 11:54 AM
MRH
Instructor

Originally Posted by sergiDA
This car has been in the market for 2 /1/2 years now.

It is no longer in Valencia but in Andorra.

It is a True RS Touring, but a Major crash destroyed the body and when rebuilt they installed a turbo look structure. I havent seen the car myself but have discussed with the current holder and some other friends who know its story and the whole think is very very strange.

Current price in autoscout are 48k €.
Thanks to everyone for their help in sorting this out. This answer makes perfect sense.

Mark
Old 02-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Ragnar Joensen
Racer

Originally Posted by freedman
... Bonnet on stuts instead of a prop (so guess no alloy bonnet)...
The hood is actually more important than it seems at first glance. The idendity decal shows the type number and it should be 964 360 (RS), 964 370 (RS 3.8) or 964 380 (RS Touring). Did they transfer the old decal from the alu hood ?

I think it is a bit dodgy. The seats are ordinary sport seats, and are good seats in their own right, but cost just a little less than the proper seats. And the wide fenders are probably more expensive than ordinary fenders. Why jeopardize the looks of a RS, when it isnt more expensive to do it the right way ?

Ragnar
Old 02-03-2011, 05:42 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evoderby
... why does the rear compartment look so DIY / 'messy'?
Originally Posted by freedman

Parcel shelf, rear side panels shouldnt be there

I agree with most of what you are saying but the rear seat area is exactly how it looks on an RS touring. If you have seen one in real life you know what I mean, it looks different from the lightweight RS, it looks just like in the pictures and it is factory original.

Originally Posted by Ragnar Joensen
The seats are ordinary sport seats, and are good seats in their own right, but cost just a little less than the proper seats.

The seats are not just ordinary sport seats, they are the original sport seats for the RS touring version with the colored inserts. So the seats are original if this is an RS touring, just as with the rear seat area above.

The other stuff though, the non-RS steering wheel and the widened bodywork etc. kind of gets you thinking.. Something has happened here but the car sure has some of the original and extremely rare parts from the RS touring...

Quick Reply: QUESTION FOR RS EXPERTS