Sponsored by:

harmonic balancer

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:41 AM
cobias1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default harmonic balancer

Does anyone know of a particular place or way that i can determine the correct way to either put my harmonic balancer back together or send it off to someone that can do so ? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:58 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put it back together?

Did you remove the small bolts holding the two pieces together and lose the registration?

I've learned on here that the hb is balanced to the crank at the factory, but I replaced mine with another used one and it did not seem to unbalance the engine, as a matter of fact it's SMOOTH. I was worried because the registration was different on the replacement. I had to separate the two pieces and align the keyway with the timing marks per my original one.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:08 PM
cobias1
Racer

I did that unknowingly at the tear down..ive looked over it a bit but still have yet to find any marks that match them up. there is a couple of dimples on one piece and what looks like welded weights on the other and was wondering if those were how they are lined up. dont know if that makes any sense but thats what ive got for now. when you say the keyway..are you refferencing the crank ?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:18 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

I believe you can align the two pieces of the hb by getting crank to top dead center with no. 1 piston at top which can be determined by mark on end of cam for no. 1 cylinder pointing upward (check by viewing end of cam in opened up timing case). With small bolts out of balancer, if necessary, It's a white bldg on the northeast corner. Be careful withdraw your seats. The edge of the gator board is SHARP! Put the passenger seat back down, put one end in and push it into the drivers side back area, next to the glass, then tilt it a little to get the other end into the floorboard.align timing mark Z1 on pully with mark on case (at bottom of alternator housing) and keyway on boss with crank. Shop manuals say to devarnish pulley before placing it on the crank because fit is critical and achieved by torquing the bolt to the crank.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:22 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, accidentally pasted some miscellaneous text into my response. Disregard "Its a white building........floorboard."
Old 01-30-2011, 06:25 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

With engine "at top", Z1 aligned with mark and keyways on hb and crank aligned, you should have aligned small bolts/holes in hb.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:33 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Doh, if you hadn't timed your cams before losing the registration (which you wouldn't have if you lost it on teardown) my suggestions won't work. I think you should still be able to get everything to top and register. "Everything" = crank mark, #1 cam mark, Z1 and woodruff keyways.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by altarchsa
Sorry, accidentally pasted some miscellaneous text into my response. Disregard "Its a white building........floorboard."
you can edit it out by clicking the first icon at the bottom of your post window.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:12 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jimq
you can edit it out by clicking the first icon at the bottom of your post window.
Thanks Jim. I thought I had deleted it, but it reappeared after I posted. I have problems when posting from my smartphone that I don't have when using the laptop.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:26 AM
cobias1
Racer

Originally Posted by altarchsa
I believe you can align the two pieces of the hb by getting crank to top dead center with no. 1 piston at top which can be determined by mark on end of cam for no. 1 cylinder pointing upward (check by viewing end of cam in opened up timing case). With small bolts out of balancer, if necessary, It's a white bldg on the northeast corner. Be careful withdraw your seats. The edge of the gator board is SHARP! Put the passenger seat back down, put one end in and push it into the drivers side back area, next to the glass, then tilt it a little to get the other end into the floorboard.align timing mark Z1 on pully with mark on case (at bottom of alternator housing) and keyway on boss with crank. Shop manuals say to devarnish pulley before placing it on the crank because fit is critical and achieved by torquing the bolt to the crank.
OMG..just got off night shift and that just did my head in !!! hahaha actually has me giggling just now. I should be getting the block back from the shop this week because of studs that broke in the case...so will see what i can see then. Thanks though and will work on it soon I hope.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:06 PM
cobias1
Racer

Okay guys thanks for the help. I went to DCauto ( no affiliation other than parts purschases ) and got one of the mechanics there to show me the alignment. basically 180 of the weights on the front piece. Thanks for the help though and sorry that some of the terminology is a bit too technical for me...

Quick Reply: harmonic balancer