Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on a Porsche for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:14 PM
tim911pcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah now were talking.. america roadster..... wide bodied cab my favorite car.. That would be a great car. Plus it will hold its value.. dont worry about ac..the c2 ac works great we have 100 plus days in stl stays cool. That car would be a turn key.. no need for any upgrades. wheels brakes the stance AAA+++++++
Old 01-30-2011, 02:26 PM
tim911pcar
Instructor

I will give you all the advice for a small fee.. The ROADSTER badge. Porsche does not make them anymore... errrrr Offer 25.. that would be a great buy.. I cant belive that car made it in cali! Every roadster was stolen because of the goodies, all the c2 turbo stuff , the body brakes etc..
Then bought back as theft recoveries That is a hot car!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:26 PM
campoj2
Racer

Investigate for sure...That listing had 1800+ hits, if it's the real deal it may be gone.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:29 PM
danwink
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, and it sold several weeks ago...

Too bad, that was very sweet!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:01 PM
campoj2
Racer

When I saw the listing, I thought "holy *hit" that's a damn good deal, and damn good deals don't sit around in this market. That rig is probably heading overseas as we speak......
Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 PM
tim911pcar
Instructor

I bet she had a prior salvage ... That was cheap.. Like I said that was the most desired car to steal in california. all wrapped up in one. top, interiors were always optioned out, the package tray, list goes on and on. still a bummer that was a nice car.. Keep on looking..........
Old 01-31-2011, 02:39 AM
danwink
Instructor

Ok, another interesting car popped up.

1992 triple black cab with 136k miles. Service history from new, 3rd owner (2nd and 3rd were friends, and 2nd knew 1st).

Older gentleman that has owned her for 5 years or so, says the car runs perfectly and is in fantastic condition. Always garaged, interior is good.

It had about 7k worth of work at 70K miles including a clutch and what appears to be some head work (I will attach what I know below):

Here's what the receipt says about the engine work at 74k:
replace main shaft, clutch kit, fork, oil housing gasket, breather housing gasket, temp switch - $2910
exhaust valve $294, Cyl. head gasket set $366, valve guide $137.28, everything following here is below $100 except where specified:
valve guide, rubber valve,rubber sleeve, parts wash, brakeleen, chain, gear support, o-ring, belt, tension sensor, plug, ventilation hose, v-belt (2), clutch hose, air filter, oil filter, alum seal ring, brake fluid, castrol 20-50 oil, optimoly grease, o-ring, clutch repair kit $750, clutch release fork, clutch shaft, rubber seal, needle bearing (2), sckt screw kit(2), o-ring, rubber oil seal, paper gasket, distributor cap ($133), ignition rotor, oil seal, distribuor rebuilt $414, resistor, replace 4 CV boots-eng lid shocks-oil breather hose-oil hose $145, lid gas strut, rubber hose (2), c/v boot $141, install 12 valve guides $369, smog cert.

I will post the pictures that I have in a moment, but I need a good PPI shop near Simi Valley, CA if anyone knows one.

I believe that he will take $20k for the car. He has recently retired and is looking to go to Hawaii- and as he said, the car is meant to be driven.

He is selling for the right reasons, looks like a great car, the only questions, the top is either original or close to it, not sure about suspension, and the engine work at 70k seems interesting.

If you follow the link in my first photo link, they are a little larger in the photo album

Last edited by danwink; 01-31-2011 at 02:59 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:46 AM
danwink
Instructor

http://picasaweb.google.com/danwink1...eat=directlink

Last edited by danwink; 01-31-2011 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-31-2011, 02:48 AM
danwink
Instructor

small door ding

Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 PM
tim911pcar
Instructor

I am for it, price seems fare.. Looks like it has been lowered as well. All you need are some wheels then dial her in as you go.. Stay with the cab.. those cool nights top down ahhh.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:19 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you have to start asking yourself a whole bunch of hard questions nobody here can answer.

After the purchase how deep are your resources?
How are you going to use the car?
How much do you really know about an air-cooled 911/964/993

You can get a really nice 964 or and okay 993 for the money you set aside.

I won't even try and conveince you to go water cooled unless you have big bucks to spend on a 997 GT3 RS

Donno about that, I have been watching them pretty close for a while now. It would look like the 964 has hit bottom and may have even rebound a little. The last time I looked I was hard pressed to find a 964 coupe worth buying for under 20K.

I still think the 993 hasn't settled yet.

A 25k 930? Sound too cheap to be the real deal or a good car.

A 964/993 you can drive every day. Not to say you couldn't drive an low tech earlier car every day, but you just might not want to. They are harder to drive, in some cases a lot harder. They are harder on you. There just isn't a lot of travel in a torsion bar car, and there is zero progressive rates. You'll just have to trust me on this. I spent a whole lot more time in a low tech 911 than my 964, which I thought I was going to buy a 3.2 Carrera or an SC. I am so glad I didn't. I like to drive my 964 as often as possible. I promise the older car would have spent much more time in the garage sitting.

And a turbo in general is a whole nother can of worms when it comes to taking care of it and what can go wrong with it.

Unless you really really really want a cab get a coupe. Less to go wrong (you wont have to worry about replacing the top eventually, you wont have to replace the top motor, transmission, or control unit, yes you still may have sun roof issues, but it won't be nearly as expensive as a cab even if you had to replace the entire thing.), less flexable chassis, less weight.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:22 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Don't get me wrong. I love convertables, roadsters, cabs, but I would never own anything but a coupe 911/964/993/996/997
Old 02-02-2011, 02:59 AM
danwink
Instructor

Originally Posted by Makmov
Don't get me wrong. I love convertables, roadsters, cabs, but I would never own anything but a coupe 911/964/993/996/997
Interesting comments, but why nothing but a coupe?

Looking at a nice white coupe in addition to the cab.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by danwink
Interesting comments, but why nothing but a coupe?

Looking at a nice white coupe in addition to the cab.
It's kind of like buying a pink Ferrari. It is just something you don't do.

There are plenty of really nice open top cars to own, cars specifically built as an open top car. A Porsche 911 - etc isn't one. It was designed to be a coupe and adapted to be a Cab. A cab/Targa is not it's purest form and suffers to a degree because it. It's heavier and looses some of it's rigidity, and is some cases a lot of it rigidity.

Adaptations are never as good as the original. Ever read a good book and then seen the movie?

I guess I am of the school of you buy a Porsche because of what it is. There wouldn't even been a Cab if the US market hadn't demanded it, and in large the US market buying these cars new were clueless about what the car was, what it stood for, and it's history.

The first cabs were not even done by Porsche and were done aftermarket, then subletted out before the factory was doing factory cabs.

I guess Porsche felt the needed a cab to stay in the US market.

Plus, personally I don't think they look as good as a coupe - especially with the top up. I believe if you buy a 911 you buy a coupe, if you want a convertable look for something else.

I feel pretty much the same about all the other cars manufacturers cut the roofs off: Lamborghini spyders, Ferrari 360/430 spyders... They have the California, what more could you possible want?

That is just my two cents on it, but you can do whatever you want. You have to live with it no me.

Last edited by Makmov; 02-02-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 PM
campoj2
Racer

Buy what you like, if you like ragtops then buy one, you can always sell it, you're not married to it, there's a lot of them for sale, you can certainly find one for under $20K.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a Porsche for me?