Sponsored by:

Little Cost Effective mods to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:56 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimjacqmx5
I don't wish to be the devils advocate but how can you say a chip is not an improvement???

I have dyno figures done at an official Porsche dealership on the same day showing a 14% increase in power. My car went from 186kw to 210kw! Yes, this was in conjunction with a muffler bypass and a colda air intake but we all know that the intake and the cup pipe maybe gave 5kw at best.
I then took it to an official timed drag strip and my car dropped over half a second off the 0-100 time and did a 12.5 second quarter mile.
The difference in driving the car with/without the chip is night and day.
My car also regularily competes on the track and pulls as hard as a 996 GT3. Both of which i have driven back to back on many occasions.
I do almost identical lap times in either car so it is not driver ability.....

An aftermarket stainless steel muffler bypass is around $200. Hardly expensive and most exhaust shops can't suitably form the specific Porsche exhaust flange joins so you'll probably end up with an exhaust leak.
Originally Posted by Jimjacqmx5
I think my post very clearly states when the dynos were done.
The first dyno graph pictured (198kw) one was done on 1st March 2010. At this stage I had a totally stock car and my first mod was to install the chip. This is the resultant power output.
I do not have a pre- power for this but seeming as the car was pre rebuild and totally stock we can assume somewhere between 180-185kw if we were lucky.

A second dyno was later done which read 211.5kw. This was after fitment of a cup muffler bypass, 100 cell CAT and EVOMS pod intake were fitted. As explained, I can't locate this chart currently.

The second dyno graph pictured above was obtained as I have now installed some camshafts and a dyno run was required to provide Steve Wong with data to make up a new chip. This was done with the original OEM chip reinstalled and reads 187.5kw with all other mods in situ. ie cup muffler, intake, 100 Cell CAT and was performed on 7th December this year. Yes, I am aware it is 9 months apart but the Porsche motorsport dyno is used to dyno all official cup cars etc in Australia and is regularly calibrated so I am happy with the comparison.

I think that on the contrary, it shows that installing other mods without tuning is a waste of time as the better breathing isn't taken advantage of. The reason i say this is those mods, with a chip raised power from 198-211kw or another 13kw gain, however, when using the stock chip and those mods were still installed, the car only put out 187kw and factory power is 184kw. So it is entirely plausable that give or take, only 3kw gain was obtained from all the other mods WITHOUT ecu chipping or tuning.

Lastly, if chips (which are a less accurate form of ecu tuning than a programmable ecu but still use the sae theory) are useless, then how is it that places like ninemeister are getting up to 300hp with an ecu tune alone?

At the end of the day, I know what has worked on my car and I have driven to a dyno with a chip and driven home without it and the loss in power was very noticeable. I am offering one mans experience no matter how much data evidence to support claims is made and there will always be doubters. I'm happy with my car, happy with the result and happy with my bulging trophy cabinet.

At the end of the day, for the cost of a decent single rear tyre, I'm showing a cost effective power upgrade with data to back it up. What have you got to loose?
When you have a run before and after the chip in isolation that would be nice to see. I am glad you are happy and at the end of the day it's your money. Cheers.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:05 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

If I am not mistaken and of a lot of use in a 1/4 mile run, weren't all of the cars delivered to beautiful OZ ROW cars, in other words I think you lucky folks all have the European gearing. If so I know from experience that will make a much bigger difference than the minimal HP gains.

Not a cheap mod but a good one when the time comes: these cars come alive with the 993 6 speed installed and it is bolt in. Hope your trannies are all good but if not, a great switch instead of a rebuild.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oz cars are indeed ROW. I was unaware we had shorter gearing... There you go!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lower/corner balance and trackable street tires will really wake her up.

Quick Reply: Little Cost Effective mods to do?