Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What other non porsche cars did you consider before you bought your 964?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 05:14 PM
bmwtinut
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default What other non porsche cars did you consider before you bought your 964?

I have been wanting a 964 for the past 5 years. Don't know why, since I never have driven one or ridden in one. But I really want one. I did work at Brey Krause as a design engineer on their race car parts for a short while 2.5 years ago. So I have been around porsches but never ridden or driven in a 911.

I currently drive a '95 BMW 318ti Club Sport & a '99 Land Rover Disco II. The wife has a '04 Volvo V70R.
I am wondering what other cars people have considered before buying their 911/964?
I would like to find a 964 by the summer. I have held off in the past due to job changes and family health issues but I am now ready to make the plunge. I would love to find a midnight blue C4.

If anyone is in the Bucks county pa area and would like to take me for a ride that would be great.

Todd
Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 PM
showard1998
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looked at a few early 2000's 911, but really liked the sound and styling of the older 964. It was just delivered on Monday morning and have not even had much time to play with it trying to finish up end of year stuff at work. I'm off through the holidays though and plan to spend some quality time.

Can't help you with a ride in PA, but when your down in S. FL I'd be glad to.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:37 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 964 without going for a test drive or even going for a ride in one (but of course had a PPI).

I didn't do this deliberately, but I actually recommend this approach as they are quite unusual and it took some time (about 1 mth) to get comfortable with the car & enjoy the experience. If I had gone for a test drive I might have been put off with the weird feel of everything.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest, none.

When I bought my Porsche I was going to buy a Porsche. Nothing else was even a consideration.

I did look at some 3.2 Carreras and SC before landing on the 964 I ended up with.

I even looked at a couple Caymans. Almost bought a Cayman S.

I have owned and drove tons of other stuff, and my wife has a BMW Z3.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
I bought my 964 without going for a test drive or even going for a ride in one (but of course had a PPI).

I didn't do this deliberately, but I actually recommend this approach as they are quite unusual and it took some time (about 1 mth) to get comfortable with the car & enjoy the experience. If I had gone for a test drive I might have been put off with the weird feel of everything.
I didn't drive mine either, it was 1375 miles away, but I had someone I trusted on the other ended helping. It drove better than I even imagined when it did finally show up, and I had drove a bunch of earlier 911s, 944s, Turbos, 928s in the past.

I am fond of driving BMW, I just don't like to work on them. And, I just don't think they are near as nice to be in and drive as a Porsche. I have done some Ferraris and Lamborghinis, a Lotus Esprite Turbo and some other stuff. Quite frankly after the novelty wares off they are not that fun to drive - especailly the lambos, you lay down in them, you can't see out of them, you see where the nose is, they make lots of noise and are not that combfortable. And then you can't leave it anywhere.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

none.... I wanted a 911, but which one?
Wanted the classic 911 shape, -and- the creature comforts of ABS, Airbags, real suspension, real heat, and AWD. Therefore the 964 C4 was the only car for me. I have since learned that the Airbag may be more trouble than it's worth.

If you can get down to the Main Line (SEPTA's R5 is close by) I'd be happy to show it to you.

Oh if you can bring some telephone books to help me see over the steering wheel, that would be great!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:02 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a 924 than a 911S moved up to a 911SC looked at a 993 but couldnt get over the look of the front end and ridicules cost so bought the 964. After 5 years decided to get another Porsche and bought the Turbo but could not bring myself to sell the 964. Its the most fun to drive car I have ever owned.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, don't laugh: I went through the very typical My First Porsche owner's circuitous route - I looked at Prancing Horses first, starting with 308's, put a deposit on a Mondial and then got cold feet , then looked at a 328, then a 348... until I hit my head and came back to my senses.

Hey, you said you weren't gonna laugh!

THEN, right before I focused on a P-car for sure, I reminisced about the Spiders I had in my youth, and briefly dallied with the idea of getting a Series 4 Alfa Spider.

I still wouldn't mind having one, but very few nice ones left.

Okay, you can laugh now...
Old 12-15-2010, 06:39 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My 1990 964 C4 was given to me by my father back in Florida and I ended up putting 6,000 miles on her driving up to New England, then out to Northern California where I live. I'd always loved Porsches when I was growing up...even rode in a guards red 911SC on the way to high school and subsequently caught the attention of a police car but my friend just pegged it and we lost the cop! I've ridden in a 914, a 944 Turbo, and even a '59 356. My 964 feels and sounds like a quintessential Porsche.

I fell in love with my 964 on the Blue Ridge Parkway out of Asheville and while driving out west came to the conclusion that this is the best car I've ever driven...period...stop...end of story.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:50 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

I started out driving my dad's 1970 BMW 2002 Alpina in London and got hooked on perfomance. Hated Porsches due to the marque rivalry and that a pal had a 73 rs I could never shake even in the mud.

First Porsche in 1979 was a 69 911T which was just a used car back then. It was stolen so with insurance money I got a 1970 911 and rebuilt the motor into a mild hot rod, lots of fun. Sold it in 84 and imported a new grey market Euro Carrera, one of the first. Great car, loved that car. Sold it in 1990 as the firstborn was on the way and drove sensible domestic crap for a few years. Ugh.

Have mostly driven Mercs the last few years, have a 2001 E55 AMG since new and love what that car can do; think early muscle car with fantastic handling. It does everything and runs like a train on rails at 100mph. I was looking for something to take to the track so...

I bought a 1973 911T only with a 2.7 rs spec MFI motor. No arches or ducktail, just a wolf in sheep's clothing. Sport seats, air and sunroof just to make it as fat as possible. Hard to hear the Becker radio and a/c is so-so, the wife hates it....so I bought her a 1992 964 C2 5 speed so she could come to the track with me. Only I won't get out of it long enough for her to give it a try. Now that it is fully sorted you would never know it has 145,000 on the clock, it is tracked by both me and my daughter and performs perfectly, by far the best of the classic 911 style cars IMHO, I live off of Mulholland Drive noted for hot rodding and drive the car hard. Doesn't have the same bang as the earlier car when the cams come alive but bags of torque and everything works. You can have a conversation and enjoy music while the cabin stays at a comfortable temperature.

I got her a Mini Cooper S convertible and she's happy.
Attached Images    
Old 12-15-2010, 10:11 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Prior to the C4 I had a '97 Boxster and it was a fun little car, a very good entry level Porsche. One day I just decided that I wanted a 911 and that was that. The local Pcar dealer had a very nice 1999 C2 for sale on consignment, and even though it a lot of go fast goodies on it and was in that dark shade of blue that they had that year there was just something missing.

I found the C4 on Yahoo autos (no affiliation) a few hours from where I was living at the time and took a drive up to go see it. It was a Sunday, and without a testdrive I was positive that it was the one - she just spoke to me, and the most important part - she spoke to my wife as well. of course I took a testdrive and fell in love with the air cooled sound and well, you know the end of the story.......
Attached Images   
Old 12-15-2010, 10:29 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Had about 6 or 7 BMW's, a 944, 87 911, a 2000 911, traded that on the current Merc CLK 550, and also now drive 90 C2. Something about the air-cooled, can't explain.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:19 PM
windblown
Instructor

I first wanted a classic 356 cab but I knew I couldn't afford what I wanted. I decided to settle for an early model 911's 1970-72 and while researching found that they were not quite the daily driver I was hoping for; next it went to the 80's 911's and I quickly found that the 87 and ups were much more civilized and honestly just were not as wore out as many of the early 80's cars; but then... there it was! (964) 92 America Roadster ( I had never seen one in person ) oh man! I was in love with it before I even took a close look; however I did look it over and after finding many little issues the owner took it off the market fixed many of the items that were wrong, called me 7 weeks later and asked if I would still be interested... 1 PPI, 6 hours of negotiations, 1 fat check, and two sets of keys to my P-Car later, I still can't get the smile off my face. Rides smooth like my old V70R, handles like go-cart, pretty fair gas economy, very civilized touring sports car until it hits a bout 4700 rpm and then it sounds like some one took a muzzle of a monster as it accelerates... yep I love my Porsche and it is better than had ever imagined.

{img}http://s1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd422/poolskaterx/{img}

Last edited by windblown; 12-15-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:07 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey - I got a compact as well.
I ended up with a 993 but way back when I was looking for a car I looked at a few BMW's including the then current E46 M3, 330 cabrio, NSX, 996, 964, and then 993.

After I drove a 996 - it had to be Porsche. And the 993 just did it for me. But now - I have the urge to add a 964 to the stable. The bug eye look is just so classic. So at times I dream of getting a 964 cab wide body and converting it to a speedster.

Good luck with finding your Porsche destiny - and merry xmas and a happy new year.

Regards

Ken

Last edited by haygeebaby; 12-20-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:29 AM
falcor
Racer

I looked at a few other cars before buying my '90 C2.

944 S2, great balance but too front heavy for my liking, slightly underpowered.
944 Turbo, better power but still not what I wanted....
Z3 M Coupé 320 hp, good looking, hard to find a car that was unmolested by teenagers...more power and more modern than the 964....buut......it's not a Porsche is it....? and only two seater...
RX8.....mnnneaaah...not my cup of tea...

Strongest contender was a '01 to '03 Boxster S...loved the driving feeling of it, slight minus for only being a twoseater....big minus
being that I'm not a convertible person.....I hate being in the sunlight when it's too hot outside.... big question mark for the depreciation on this car too.

Quick Reply: What other non porsche cars did you consider before you bought your 964?