Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What other non porsche cars did you consider before you bought your 964?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:39 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For me it was a matter of finding the right Porsche. I've wanted one since I was a boy (I'm 40 now). I can remember taking a family trip to the West Coast in the early 80's and going nuts seeing all the candy colored 911's driving around southern California.

I test drove an '06 Boxster S and a '05 Carrera. But I settled on the 964 because:

1. Bang for buck is very good provided you get a good one... especially compared to the 993. This is a 3rd car for me and buying a newer more expensive depreciating asset doesn't sit well with me. Which brings up my next point.
2. These cars are fully depreciated.
3. DIY-able. Other than Tranny or Engine rebuild work I want to do all the maintenance myself. Granted the parts are expensive for these cars but they are also supremely over-engineered and will last a long time.
4. Looks! The classic looks! Don't get me wrong I've nothing critical to say about the 993, I think those are beautiful too...the 996, well, that is another story.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:01 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

I did not consider anything but a Porsche when the time was right to get a fun car. Growing up with a Porsche in the family and previously owning a 89 944 a 911 is all I wanted. That and my father was restoring his 1968 912 at the time so the Porsche bug hit me hard again.

I zeroed in on the 964 as the best mix of price, performance, looks and features. I made the right decision purchasing my C4 although I did not want red or a C4. My 964 passed inspections and has service history back to the first oil change and a very good price. I could not pass it up and Im glad I didnt.

My 964 has been nearly trouble free other than the usual maintenance and a few issues which I was able to fix myself thanks to this great forum.

Im not a fan of the newer 911's so I expect to own this 964 for quite some time.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:15 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looked at 996 til i read the forums on them, then looked at 993 til i saw the prices of them....

also looked at M3, 335xi and S4. Test drove an STi but after having driven european cars the interior felt cheap and the driving "feel" of the car just wasn't there.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Before buying my first 964 I came very close to buying a Ferarri 308 instead and nice as it was I definately made the right choice to buy the Porsche instead.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Nothing like spending $5k every five seconds mantianing a Ferrari.

I just saw a bill for a 30K service on a Testarossa and it was more than I paid for my whole P-car!
Old 12-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old Ferrari's are NOT cheap to maintain. Old Ferraris, cheap to buy but they get you in 'child support' payments.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by elbeee964
Hmmm... That's two questions.
Ok.
1st answer... Past cars 'considered' (owned): VW Scirroco, MR2, Miata,
Then I bought a red '85 (3.2L) 911 in '97. Sold later under fiscal necessity. (I understand that car now runs around Prescott, AZ.)

2nd answer... Cars test driven as I was considering my 964: an '88 (3.2L) 911, a 993, and a Boxster S.
All these other cars were 'safe' cars. Smoother, easier,... known. Safe. [yawn] If you thrive on easy compliments, they were the cars for you.
As the add says, They were something for everybody.
While only the 964 was everything to some one. (Me!)

Good luck with your search!

I'd highly recommend taking a similar route by test driving all various 911 types and Boxsters.
Then pick the one that speaks most to you.
Elbee, your post actually made me think about this question again...
On the journey to this exact car (let's call it, on "final approach" ), I was really fixated on 3.2's, and did PPI's on 3 different Carrera's in the month or so before I bought my 964. All failed to one degree or another, and I was truly disheartened. But this also caused me to swallow hard and tweek my target budget up - and up - and up. This put me in 964 territory, where I hadn't really considered them before. I was obviously getting an object lesson in "no such thing as a cheap Porsche". But this all led me to the car I bought. Some things do work out for the best.

Originally Posted by smckinley

His posts remind me of my feelings towards my '95 Saab Aero. On paper it seemed great - fastest sedan of its time, 5-speed, Recaro sport seats, tons of room inside, ridiculously large cargo space, excellent gas mileage, and I hated it. I resented every time it needed the slightest bit of attention.

On the other hand, the '85 Saab Turbo got absolutely anything it asked for and then some. When I got it, it had non-working cabin fan motor, vacuum leaks forever, a jammed (manual) sunroof, completely bare lower ball joints, bad harmonic balancer, shot shocks all around, collapsed package shelf (it was a rare turbo sedan), leaking valve cover gasket, failing starter, and on and on, and it still put a huge grin on my face right from the test drive. Fixing those things and improving others was truly therapeutic.
Those cars are my oddball fixation. They are not BMW's or Audi's, they are totally unique and a joy to drive. I have a cherry '94 900 SET tucked away that still feels contemporary. Volvo's are my other weakness, had a slew of those, my DD is a 2000 V70R. There's an almost cultish DIY repair culture around both those brands, and the level of factory and dealer support for it is amazing and really encourages the sort of zen thing with the car.
Of course, I've always had a warm spot in my heart, or somewhere, for Swedes, whether 2 or 4-wheel-drive, blond, brunette or redhead.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I only ever considered a 911. After a lot of research I chose the 964 as being the best car for the budget I had and to be honest, the best looking. I'm on my second now, and to be honest I can't imagine ever selling it - I have a feeling my son is going to thank me when he's older!! I just wish I had the time to use it more!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:37 PM
espenl
Intermediate

Last edited by espenl; 12-17-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:11 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

ok well I have owned many cars
Audi S4
mustang cobra
jag x type
ford bronco
xterra
cherokee
wrangler
cj-7
1966 lincoln continental
expedition
ram 1500
ram 2500 cummins
jag vanden plas

and probably a few that i am forgetting and currently

a bmw 750i and my 964.

I must say the only car i wish I kept was by ford bronco 1994 eddie bauer just loved it first car etc. and I just can't seem to be without my 964. I have thought of selling her but can't get the heart to really do it.

I did look at the lotus espirit, ferraris, alfa's and just felt the 964 was the best maint wise and fun to use..

wish the a/c is better but besides that so much fun!!
Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Every car ive owned has been a performance model of sum form, ive had loads ov cars and a few bikes.
From hot hatch 2 rapid motocross.
In terms of performance, honda fireblade is by far the quickest.
Most fun times, audi s4, crazy capable car (no matter how quick, it will work), goin to buy another soon.
Ive wanted a porsche since i was a kid, had a poster of a 964 turbo.
No way i can afford the turbs like my poster.
I wanted a 911 b4 my 30th b-day, and i got one.
So i went for the the most modern old lookin 911.
I like the the danger in it, it will stick u in a ditch, or a wall!
Takes effort to live with.
Slides round a bend so scary, its the best buzz when it works just right.
On the edge performance!
Its not the fastest car ive ever owned, but is my favorite.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 AM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sml
I bought my 964 without going for a test drive or even going for a ride in one (but of course had a PPI).

I didn't do this deliberately, but I actually recommend this approach as they are quite unusual and it took some time (about 1 mth) to get comfortable with the car & enjoy the experience. If I had gone for a test drive I might have been put off with the weird feel of everything.
This rings very true for me too.....
Old 12-17-2010, 11:19 AM
bmwtinut
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Those cars are my oddball fixation. They are not BMW's or Audi's, they are totally unique and a joy to drive. I have a cherry '94 900 SET tucked away that still feels contemporary. Volvo's are my other weakness, had a slew of those, my DD is a 2000 V70R. There's an almost cultish DIY repair culture around both those brands, and the level of factory and dealer support for it is amazing and really encourages the sort of zen thing with the car.
Of course, I've always had a warm spot in my heart, or somewhere, for Swedes, whether 2 or 4-wheel-drive, blond, brunette or redhead.
Barry,
I do as well have an oddball fixation with swedes. My wife is actually the volvo nut. Her daily driver is a 300hp '04 V70R - 6sp manual AWD. The car is a monster and so much fun to drive. Her last car was a 2000 V70R in laser blue. I still miss that one. 2000 V70R

These are the cars that we currently own

2004 Volvo V70R 300hp AWD 6spd (her DD)
1995 BMW 318ti Club Sport (my DD)
1999 Land Rover Discovery II
1970 Volvo 1800E
1983 BMW 320i (For Sale)

Past
2000 Volvo V70R
1998 Volvo V70 AWD
1987 Volvo 745 Turbo

I hope to be adding the 964 in the near future.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:21 AM
RSGulp
Racer

I grew up in Germany as my father was an officer in the British Army. While sat in the back of my Dad's Chrysler (Talbot) Alpine I would often see early 3.0 930 Turbo's pass at maximum speed along the unrestricted motorways! For as long as I can remember I wanted to own a 911.

Bought my first at 27yrs - a 911SC Targa which was owned by Errol Brown of Hot Chocolate. I thought it was fast after owning various 3series E30 BMWs - but a few years on I grew used to it's performance. I took it to Le Mans 24hrs many, many times where I got interested in Porsche's racing history and brand heritage.

My next Porsche had a simple brief - it had to be air-cooled, race inspired (ideally a homolgation model), had to have a raw feel and needed to be fast enough to scare me. I couldn't afford a 993GT2 - but at the time I could just about afford a 964RS Lightweight.

I managed to buy the one I now own purely through being in the right place at the right time. For me it's by far the best, fastest, rawest, rarest and most grinworthy car I've ever had the privilege to own. And for me the sig on the back makes it feel even closer to Porsche brand ...the fact that the guy who designed the 911 shape actually signed his artwork. :-)

The plan is to keep it forever - and add other interesting Porsches to the garage as and when I can.

My daily driver Golf R32 Mk5 is a pussycat in comparison.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 AM
rob964.c4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first car when I was 18

This is NOT my car i dont have digital image of it
mine was lowerd,whide wheels tuned with top speed of 165 km ph
enige bored to 650 cc

then whine i become 22 i changed to this
pontiac le mans 5,7 ltr v8

and when i was 26 my fist porsche 964 C4 which i still own
and just restored fully

Last edited by rob964.c4; 12-17-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: writing and picture

Quick Reply: What other non porsche cars did you consider before you bought your 964?