Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator replacement cost/brandname recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010 | 04:45 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

I got a rebuilt "Bosch" unit and the splines in the shaft (into which you fit the 12pt tool that locks the shaft allowing the cinching nut to be loosened - the tool you ALL have double checked is in your tool kits - right??) were all mashed in. Despite being in a brand new box and all shiny - it was still in poor condition. Beware!

RK
Old 11-05-2010 | 10:29 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
Despite being in a brand new box and all shiny - it was still in poor condition. Beware!
When I returned my used alternator I had a brand new box and all the paperwork left over .
Who did you buy from ?

The alternator I got from AutohausAZ looked to have a brand new shaft .
The one I sent back had a shaft that could never be used again .
Old 11-06-2010 | 02:21 AM
morrisroad
Instructor

From: Toronto, Canada,Planet Earth, Earth-Moon System, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe

Replaced mine with Bosch Rebuilt. Have replaced on all my cars with Bosch, no issues.
Old 11-07-2010 | 10:16 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

I went through three rebuilt Bosch units until I found one that actually worked. First one was dead out of the box. Second lasted around a week. Current one is strong so far. I also found some pretty shoddy workmanship on the rebuilt units - stripped threads, etc. If you can, have a local shop rebuild yours with new bearings. Receiving and returning several alternators and straightening out the core charges was a hassle.
Old 12-06-2010 | 11:34 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Mine needs a new alternator as well. Is this a doable DYI job, or should I take it to the shop and have them do it?
Old 12-07-2010 | 09:09 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Mine needs a new alternator as well. Is this a doable DYI job, or should I take it to the shop and have them do it?
Quite doable. Did mine about 4 weeks ago.
The 12-pt 10mm 'serrated' bit tool is the only odd-duck article you'll need. Otherwise it's standard metric sockets/wrenches, hex key/drives, needle nose pliers.
Oh, and a gear-puller to remove the fan and fan bearing from the alternator shaft. (This you can normally get on-loan for free from your nearest parts place like AutoZone.) See, here, about this part.

Mostly it's just tedious, tool-mandatory disassembly and reassembly.
Old 12-07-2010 | 09:23 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

the hardest part is getting those darn wires on an off the alternator as they are in a hard to get to place.
Attached Images   
Old 12-07-2010 | 09:36 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elbeee964
Quite doable. Did mine about 4 weeks ago.

...Oh, and a gear-puller to remove the fan and fan bearing from the alternator shaft. (This you can normally get on-loan for free from your nearest parts place like AutoZone.) See, here, about this part.

Mostly it's just tedious, tool-mandatory disassembly and reassembly.
Great contribution to the forum!

That needs to be added to the 964 DIY section...would be a wonderful addition to the current "Fan Bearing Replaced with RS hub... DIY Video" post.
Old 12-07-2010 | 10:29 AM
pcs7556964
Advanced

Default Same situation

I have had a fan noise that increases pitch with rpms, an ugly looking fan and some strange warning lamps light up.
So I decided last week to do the RS fan conversion, it was not to difficult thanks to great info on rennlist.

I wanted to get an exchange alternator, Bosch is the original and as I understand it they change everything inside so you only get a reused outer skin. But the cost was over $ 800 here in Sweden.

I found a specialized workshop that are exchanging bearings and all wear parts, ( "coal" etc.) for less than $200. It will be a restored unit but not new as the Bosch exchange, would it only have been $400 I would go for Bosch.

What I discovered taking everything apart was;
1) the fan bearing felt like there was sand in it when turned by hand.

2) the fan belt sensor was broken and was applying pressure on the fan belt and not rolling with it, this had started to tear the belt. Belts have 2000 km( 1,6x=miles) and are 1 year old..
But atleast I do not need this with the conversion to Rs.
Name:  fläktremssensor_trasig.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  98.3 KB
Old 12-07-2010 | 11:47 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

I have a "whine" from the alternator or fan bearing that seems to occur primarily on damp days. Not sure which component is the root cause. No problems with charging function of the alternator. Just unsure how to isolate the problem and thus avoid the expen$e of replacing everything. But then again, there is that guidance from above - "We don't seem to have time to do it right, but we always have time to do it over."
Old 12-07-2010 | 09:12 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DWS964
Just unsure how to isolate the problem and thus avoid the expen$e of replacing everything.
You have two fan belts ?
One driving the fan and one driving the alternator .
You can take the two belts off and spin the fan and alternator by hand .
If they feel fine , you could put just the one belt on that runs the fan and then take the car for a ride .

Quick Reply: Alternator replacement cost/brandname recommendations?