Sponsored by:

exhaust recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust recommendations?

I am going to have some work done on my car soon and am considering doing some exhaust upgrades. I have heard that the least expensive and noticable upgrades is the G-pipe secondary muffler bypass. Any recommendations on g-pipes and experience with this modification? I am not looking to make the car too loud, just a little more aggressive.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:22 PM
kboustani
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I HAVE A G-PIPE ON MINE FROM FABSPEED AND I KOVE THE SOUND.GO FOR IT,YOU WILL LOVE DRIVING YOUR 964 A WHOLE LOT MORE.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Any less expensive options out there? The Fabspeed looks nice but seems rather expensive for such a small pipe.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:24 PM
kboustani
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

yes.but i love the fabspeed quality.you can watch the online websites for one used,about half the price.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:21 AM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an extra FVD secondary bypass and Autothority chip for a 93/94. My car came with a cup bypass and I put on the secondary bypass (but the combo was too loud for me). I recently bought a Steve Wong chip and when I opened things up I found the Autothority. I decided to keep the SW but the Autothority seemed to have just as much pep. I was thinking of $250 for the pair plus shipping (I don't really want to sep). PM if interested.

Name:  fvd.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  16.0 KB
Old 10-31-2010, 02:42 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

If you don't buy the combo above (good price BTW) you can always have one made locally as well, should be a good deal cheaper than buying one new. My g-pipe is a home-grown custom brew that's welded on - 1 piece all the way from the primary muffler to the tip. Works just as well as all the $$$ aftermarket solutions, and I'm always for less connections/clamps/sources of leaks in an exhaust system.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:15 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree, just have a local muffler shop fab something up for you. I had a local shop do the first rev of my spec boxster exhaust and it cost $60 vs $500. I was thinking of doing the same thing on my 964.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:47 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you take a look at the 964 video on the fabspeed website you'll learn that the secondary silencer is of a much less restrictive design than the primary silencer.

Accordingly, if your goal is performance replace the primary silencer with what is known as a cup pipe and leave the secondary silencer in place. When it's just sound you're after either option is fine.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:19 AM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by evoderby
When you take a look at the 964 video on the fabspeed website you'll learn that the secondary silencer is of a much less restrictive design than the primary silencer.

Accordingly, if your goal is performance replace the primary silencer with what is known as a cup pipe and leave the secondary silencer in place. When it's just sound you're after either option is fine.
For power and sound, I think the general consensus around here is a primary bypass or secondary bypass but not both (although some would defend both for power).

The nice part about the FVD secondary bypass above is that it uses the stock bolts to support the weight (granted it's not much weight). I just didn't like the thought of only a clamps between the primary and secondary bypass then again between the seconday bypass and tip. Even though it's not a one piece like Chase talks about it makes the clamp/connection approach more secure.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:53 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by evoderby

That's what I had heard. I have a cup pipe and I really like the sound. Another consideration is that removal of the primary is a better option due to the considerable weight being removed from the farthest rear and center of the car, not all from the right side, for better balance.

BTW, there's a used Cup pipe on eBay now - cheep! (no affiliation)
Old 10-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PNine64
For power and sound, I think the general consensus around here is a primary bypass or secondary bypass but not both (although some would defend both for power).

The nice part about the FVD secondary bypass above is that it uses the stock bolts to support the weight (granted it's not much weight). I just didn't like the thought of only a clamps between the primary and secondary bypass then again between the seconday bypass and tip. Even though it's not a one piece like Chase talks about it makes the clamp/connection approach more secure.
I have just had this G-Pipe with mount installed, it's called a long neck G-pipe as opposed to the short G-pipe. The long neck provides more of the intended airflow by the manufacturer.

I absolutely agree I don't like the set up just hanging by clamps!

I have both a cup pipe and g-pipe it's definitely loud, although in my view definitely not unbearable. It's a deep rumble, sounds like American muscle. And at low revs it's a distant rumble, especially with the windows up..... Having said that, put your foot down and boy does it sing beautifully!

From experience I would start with a cup pipe, that's the performance side, I concur. And the exhaust note is very rich. See how you get along and then think about the g-pipe... Deepen the richness.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

+1 on replacing the primary exhaust...Porsche Motorsport sound!

I couldn't see paying $300 for a simple pipe, so I had a muffler shop just cut out the primary muffler and weld-in a straight pipe...homemade primary bypass for $50.

More here: Primary bypass - $50 muffler shop cup pipe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpqJm...layer_embedded
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Fabspeed's cat bypass and primary bypass. I think the sound is on the money. Fabspeed's cat bypass is straight through but baffled, not chambered which probaby helps quite the exhaust a little and also gives the appearance of a cat due to its size and appearance. I chose to keep the original cat and primary muffler just in case I decide to go back to stock or installing upon sale of my Porsche. I think the majority of buyers will want stock exhaust at least initially. You can always reap some money back from your performance exhaust by selling it here. Everybody has a personal preference when it comes to engine sound and maybe you want it louder by going with the G-pipe. I experiment by purchasing items and If I'm not happy I sell them and yes at a loss but in the end I have no regrets.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:35 AM
Brentflyfish
Rennlist Member

Great advice everyone - thanks! Here is what I am gleaning from the conversation:
1. Take it to my local muffler shop if all I want is to do the secondary g-pipe option.
2. Consider doing the primary bypass if I want both sound and some performance improvement.

Question - what sounds better, g-pipe only or primary only (yes, I know this is very subjective)? I don't want to remove both as that would be just too loud for me. I am looking for a little more meaty tone but not over the top. To me, a Porsche should not sound ike a muscle car but should have a little of that "Euro wind-up" tone.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:18 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a lot of faith in Porsche's fluid dynamic engineering, and their choice on the CUP cars were the primary bypass. Enough said.

Quick Reply: exhaust recommendations?