Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "Amazon" Restoration-Lightweight C4- 2Pack paint soon;-)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 05:31 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Wink

Shouldn't the seat be opposite the steering wheel to pass an MOT - they might pick up on that one......

Great thread/subscribed/read the whole lot and drooling by the way!

Cheers

Mark
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2013, 05:50 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great stuff Norman, tell us what wheels you are planning?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HiWind
From Magnus to Singer - you get around Norm!

Re the harnesses they are often on the FS thread - if you're going to track the 5/6 points are worth it as they keep you better seated and stop you getting tired from holding yourself in the seat/from sliding forward. Else I think Eddie at RAce parts Warehouse on the GT3 forum has a good selection, or demontweaks if you're back home.

Also nice to have the 2in shoulder straps that go to 3in chest in case you want to use a Hans - which you should - on track. Black ones will look good as the inside already has lots of color - and you can swop them to anything later.

Good luck and thanks for the update!
Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
That a really nice trip. Have to be honest and say I was super hit with envy when I saw your pictures at Singer on facebook. When I go to CA, I'm going to have to ninja my way into the facility.
All the guys at Singer are great, especially Efren and Chad whom I knew first.

Originally Posted by Rephlex
I bought Schroth profi II GT3 6-point which secure from the crossbar of the cage. Very neat. Chose blue, from demon tweeks.

Use normal belt for the road, and keep harness buckle tucked forward under the Recaro squab.

Looking forward to you finishing this.
Yes I may look at the Schroth Profi II;-)

Originally Posted by robt964
Drool worthy photos Thanks for sharing.
Thanks guys, yes I do get about but its handy to have friends in L.A and the passion for Porsche. Otherwise I wouldn't have met interesting people like you guys.

There was one special invite that was the ice of the cake on this holiday. A visit to Jay Leno's garage! His car collection is unbelievable and Jay Leno was so hospitable and humble.

I told him about project Amazon and you guys here on Rennlist;-) You never know he may have a check on us!

Last edited by Nski; 12-10-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mark lintott
Shouldn't the seat be opposite the steering wheel to pass an MOT - they might pick up on that one......

Great thread/subscribed/read the whole lot and drooling by the way!

Cheers

Mark
Hehehehehe yeah you could say that Mark, lets say I can never get the seat low enough!! there why not sit on the floor

thanks Norm
Old 12-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Great stuff Norman, tell us what wheels you are planning?
Thanks Frank! I was about to ask you what tyre size your running on your BBS 18" wheels and about your harness.

Interesting point you made in your last entry to 'Black Betty' thread about the BBS E28 Magnesium wheels strong and suitable for the track but possibly not on the road. I may have a change of heart on these magnesiums.

Well, I was trial fitting these BBS E28s early last week on my other 964 before fitting tires and using them on Amazon.

Not fit unless the front 1.5" lips are changed for 0.5" lips and camber, oh these are not reversed face mounted yet.

Tight fit for the front, same again 0.5" lips and camber, same again not reversed face mounted yet.

Better fit with these.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

After all the trials, I have decided on using my BBS E88 (18" Diameter Mono-bloc Racing Wheels. Forged AL CL, Special Design, Cast Flow Formed. BBS - 18" Diameter 3-Piece Racing Wheels.) If you look closely the spokes are slightly different. Like an ice cream scoop has been at it to keep the wheels light.

Now getting refurbed before fitted onto Amazon.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:55 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Hi Norm,

Those E88s look great.

For road use imo the problem inherently lies with the barrels - they're just not strong enough. Quick to bend out of shape and thus being a three piece wheel will leak air.... Then of course there's the mag strength centres to worry about.

Now of course it all depends on your driving and where you're driving. Through my alpine and skye adventures they're just not strong enough to take the beating those roads give you. This is why I went with a set of Cargraphics (basically identical design) forged centres and steel barrels - time will tell.

Tyre size as you know also comes into play - smaller profile, bigger the beating. I'm running a 225/40 and a 265/ 35.

To your question - what size are the BBSs you wish to mount tires to, J and offset?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Norm - How about getting one of the 964s to Spa in March?
Old 12-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Hi Norm,

Those E88s look great.

For road use imo the problem inherently lies with the barrels - they're just not strong enough. Quick to bend out of shape and thus being a three piece wheel will leak air.... Then of course there's the mag strength centres to worry about.

Now of course it all depends on your driving and where you're driving. Through my alpine and skye adventures they're just not strong enough to take the beating those roads give you. This is why I went with a set of Cargraphics (basically identical design) forged centres and steel barrels - time will tell.

Tyre size as you know also comes into play - smaller profile, bigger the beating. I'm running a 225/40 and a 265/ 35.

To your question - what size are the BBSs you wish to mount tires to, J and offset?
Ollie's old Cargraphic wheels are great, you got a bargain! Am sure they are a lot stronger too still in-keeping with the multispoke motorsport look. Can't wait to see them on Frank, send us a picture when you do. P.s I remember they had silly stretched tyres on them, I hope your going to change them.

The wheel sizes are 10s and 8.5s offsets TBC.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zingari
Norm - How about getting one of the 964s to Spa in March?
Is that an invite? Zingari if your local, lets hookup sometime
Old 12-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Update on the BBS wheels, they are painted and built up. I am more than happy with the finish, the lips were ceramic polished and fantastic. Now tires need building back with BBS stickers to put back.

Before>

After>

And another>

Old 12-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Glorious!
Old 12-13-2013, 12:20 PM
ray stobbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like them norm now get them on the car before it starts to rot again
Old 12-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

This week not only the wheels were done, the brakes were ready from Brake Caliper Refurb. https://www.facebook.com/BrakeCaliperRefurbs

Whom did wonders with the calipers and my patience with choosing the colour from black to red to blue to black.

So, let me jot your memory about the brakes. Amazon already had its standard brakes refurbed in black from the bodyshop, then stripped again for a set of Big Reds I bought from the internet, which I'd not seen and thought it was a great idea to send them directly to the bodyshop from the seller. I decided they should go blue.

Not realizing the condition of the calipers, the seals,and internals these were returned from the bodyshop. Am sure the pictures will explain>

Originally black on Amazon.

Big reds were bought and straight to the bodyshop to be painted blue!!! Not a good idea!! Calipers where in a state plus bodyshop paint refurb was awful!

Old 12-13-2013, 12:25 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nski
P.s I remember they had silly stretched tyres on them, I hope your going to change them.
Yup - a bit too stretched for me. I'll be ordering a new set next year.

The wheel sizes are 10s and 8.5s offsets TBC.
So to answer your original question, 225/ 40 and 265/ 35 would be the perfect sizes for your Js.

Is that an invite?
As ever, no such thing as an invite needed. You just come along.

Quick Reply: Project "Amazon" Restoration-Lightweight C4- 2Pack paint soon;-)