Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "Amazon" Restoration-Lightweight C4- 2Pack paint soon;-)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011 | 10:29 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Now shes pushed back into the paint booth for more primer!

Old 07-06-2011 | 11:46 AM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Here she is lovely and white, primered inside in the most difficult areas. Really happy with it even in primer!

Old 07-06-2011 | 02:06 PM
Ghengis
Instructor

I'm pleased to see this thread up and running again. It was through a link on 911uk to this thread that got me to join in with this Rennlist forum.

The work being done on this car is fantastic. One day I hope funds will allow me to do something similar. Until then I can only watch with envy as your guy does some great work.

I can't wait to see the finished article.

Now get back to it, you're nearly there now.
Old 07-08-2011 | 12:05 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ghengis
I'm pleased to see this thread up and running again. It was through a link on 911uk to this thread that got me to join in with this Rennlist forum.

The work being done on this car is fantastic. One day I hope funds will allow me to do something similar. Until then I can only watch with envy as your guy does some great work.

I can't wait to see the finished article.

Now get back to it, you're nearly there now.
thank you Ghengis for your lovely comment! I have seen you post on 911uk from time to time, I dont really post much on there. I see theres a few more guys on there who are doing 964 projects, which is nice to see.

Yes nearly there but yet so far, especially when it was in its bareshell or stripping stage. You ask yourself why on earth am I going through all this, but am sure the reward will be at the end of the tunnel. At least those long winter nights have ended, and its all downhill from here. Well, not for my pocket anyway, as you will be surprised when you strip most things to its bare state, you will definately find perishing, if not deteriorating things on the way as its a 20+ year old car! But at least everything will be A1 when all done.

Anyway, heres some more pictures of when its in the primer state, just couldn't resist but take so many photos. Am loving it even at this state! Hope you like the pics....
Old 07-08-2011 | 12:19 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

I can't stop looking at the car even at this stage, as you can see all its form and appreciate it at this stage especially when you have been or seen it through its rough times!

I have definately learnt a far lot more when you strip and build the car, and know how the car is constructed.

Look at the gutter rails, they are beautifully formed for a purpose. But who knew the roof and side of the car were sandwiched folded by the gutter rail and seam sealered to give a perfect finished in the gutters. Which you will see on the pictures before, but the process of seam sealering is done only when the car is primered and near paint.

Here you will see odd gaps where the metal folded finishes clearly in white on the 2nd picture down.

Old 07-08-2011 | 12:27 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Can you see earlier the on the drivers door sill there was a rust patch, which was cut and plated, but finely metal art together by Neil, and look how fine the lines are on the top of the sill.

Normally on a standard 964 and an RS, the arches are not rolled, but if you refer back to the back Neil tapped and roll the arches is a craft of its own, yes you can say anyone can do it, but the appreciation of what Neil is capable of doing is brill.

Before the inner arches are prepped and painted, a seam sealer ( stand to be corrected) is filled inbetween the gaps of the rolled arches to stop water from getting trapped.

And yes for all you RS boffins out there, this is not the correct RS cage, but a beautiful cage of its own as mentioned donated by Colin and Mark at 9M, originally in a 993 RSR. If you look a far more nicer than original 964 RS looking cage with extra bars and the metal seat belt guides.
Old 07-08-2011 | 12:33 PM
Laker
Drifting

I think it died and went to Porsche heaven! Looking great!
Old 07-08-2011 | 12:47 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Laker
I think it died and went to Porsche heaven! Looking great!
Heaven alright! If you examine the forms of a 911 and its icon shape, you will understand why Porsche have kept such shape for years till the end. Neil thought I was doing naughty things been in the booth for this long taking endless pictures!ha

After a new roofskin was put on project Amazon, the appreciation of a non sunroof was apparent, whereas if you bought a car with a non sunroof in it anyway you would take for granted.

Am glad I went down this route, and would certainly do it again. I say a project is not a project until the true masters are at work, this is why I appreciate and give credit seeing projects from bigger players such as 9M, but for Neil a one man band to take this project on, you have to give him credit.

Old 07-08-2011 | 01:13 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Wow. Really, really impressive. I went back and read all 31 pages of this thread....I'm blown away with the guts needed to take on this kind of project, the work put into this car, the skill of all involved, and the results.
Old 07-08-2011 | 01:28 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mitch9000
Wow. Really, really impressive. I went back and read all 31 pages of this thread....I'm blown away with the guts needed to take on this kind of project, the work put into this car, the skill of all involved, and the results.
Thanks Mitch, you or anyone can do such a project, just takes plenty of time, energy and great people around you!

At least you will know every inch of the car, theres nothing worse than owning a car and not knowing whats under there!
Old 07-08-2011 | 02:41 PM
ray stobbs
Racer

looking great norm would look even better in martine blue
Old 07-08-2011 | 03:37 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nski
Can you see earlier the on the drivers door sill there was a rust patch, which was cut and plated, but finely metal art together by Neil, and look how fine the lines are on the top of the sill.

Normally on a standard 964 and an RS, the arches are not rolled, but if you refer back to the back Neil tapped and roll the arches is a craft of its own, yes you can say anyone can do it, but the appreciation of what Neil is capable of doing is brill.
Cough . . . .

From Porsche Service Information Tecknik '92 911 Carrera RS

For "beaded" read rolled . . .

Nice project Norman ! I'd have dipped and E coated it though (it means less time spent in a cold workshop)

Mine's 37 years old and looks like new (once all the underseal and numerous coats of paint had been removed) ! !

Looks like you've got a top bloke in Neil , glad to see you've done the roof properly

Here's one I did earlier !

Fitting a complete (non-sunroof) roof, A posts, scuttle and B posts (and new rear panel/engine mounts)

Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the painted shell

Signal Green, Ferrari Fly Yellow or Maritime please ! !
Old 07-08-2011 | 07:01 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Thank you Atgani, you have a VERY solid shell I see! For some of these earlier cars, you will be surprised what shape it comes out after an acid dip.

A friend of mine from Tech9 is building a historic 911, using a early shell went through the same procedure, acid dip then cage, then E-coated. Looks brand new when it comes back plus its a piece of mind.

I think next time its definately Acid dip & E-coat, as those long dark cold nights will never be forgotten!ha
Old 07-08-2011 | 07:11 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ray stobbs
looking great norm would look even better in martine blue
Its was Green, then Maritime, now Ferrari Fly, back to green, then uncle Alexander has bought a maritime blue RS and says I should do it in blue.

I need help!
Old 07-08-2011 | 07:34 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nski
Thank you Atgani, you have a VERY solid shell I see! For some of these earlier cars, you will be surprised what shape it comes out after an acid dip.

A friend of mine from Tech9 is building a historic 911, using a early shell went through the same procedure, acid dip then cage, then E-coated. Looks brand new when it comes back plus its a piece of mind.

I think next time its definately Acid dip & E-coat, as those long dark cold nights will never be forgotten!ha
Ah, you know Phil H then !

How about Gulf Blue ?

http://www.germansportscars.net/GB/s...4-rs/323/4280/

Or Audi RS/Nogaro Blue . . . . . . .

Quick Reply: Project "Amazon" Restoration-Lightweight C4- 2Pack paint soon;-)