C4 ARB Question (Sway Bar)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C4 ARB Question (Sway Bar)

Hi,

I have picked up a 21mm rear anti roll bar from a C2, I have fitted a few in my time (non to a Porsche or 964) and wondered if anyone has advice or tips.

I will be getting new bushes, probably polyurethane, but may just pick up the standard OE bushes. I do have powerflex ARB bushes on my other car, but can't say its a vital upgrade compared to wisbone bush upgrades. So is the Polyurethane that crucial on the ARB, should i just pick up a standard OE set? I have heard good things about super pro compared to Powerflex any ideas?

Also is their a special technique to fitting apart from the obvious (i couldn't find a fitting guide)?

Thanks as always
Old 10-13-2010, 09:08 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Should be straightforward. OE bushes are fine. Stiffer shocks and springs make the real difference.

I just replaced my 120K-mile bushes last Winter and the spring plate rubber were the only pieces in need of replacement. Unfortunately, replacing those usually means replacing the entire spring plate. I went with ERPs.

Trailing/control arm bushes were replaced with monoballs. Originals required chisel, torch, c-clamp, drill ... sweat, tears, etc. to remove. Those don't appear to be a weak link as was the case in earlier, high-mileage 911's.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Unkle
Pro

Thanks very much, i will sort it out this weekend. I got Superpro bushes ordered as the price was pretty good. I don't like buying on price, but its was more convenient that getting to Porsche and the more i read about powerflex the more i like the Superpro range.

Thanks again
Old 10-14-2010, 01:25 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're welcome!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Unkle
Pro

Can someone please check to see if the rear ARB has the curve near the end of the bar as a hump pointing up, or as a depression facing the floor. I removed it without looking - too much haste on my part. I assume its depression (with the curve facing down) but don't want to fit and worry.

I think there is a arrow also telling me the right way, or it could be just a manufacturing mark.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:18 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's correct as pictured. Was that what you were asking?
Old 10-17-2010, 06:22 AM
Unkle
Pro

Yeah, thanks i thought it was right, but just checking.

While I have the undertray off, I might as well change the gearbox oil. GL5 Semi Syn Sx75w-90 should be good enough for the next 30,000 miles approx.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:47 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a pic of mine. The round side of the bush fits snugly in the clamp.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Unkle
Pro

Thanks Boxsey, thats the same as mine after i finished. Once i get my alternator back from the repair shop and i top up the gearbox after I drained it today, It will be nice to feel the 21mm ARB and see if its any different. Then its just the strut brace to go, and i know from your blog and my own experience how much of a difference they make to a car. Hopefully those 2 improvements will give me the turn in bite without the sacrifice in ride that i am looking for. As i want enjoyable Euro cruiser with occasional track event.

Thanks again
Old 10-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Unkle
Pro

I know this is well known but couldn't believe the difference

I took the car out today for a run with the new ARB and can't believe the change. I sometimes felt the PDAS system caught me out with the amount of lawyer preventing understeer. Like a small FWD car but worse because of the contrasting variation between twitchy high speed rear engine weight and oil tanker turning understeer... boy can it understeer. Anyway the 21mm ARB with Poly bushes has really reduced it and made it consistent, and not imbalanced - I can't wait to get a strut brace installed.

A used ARB is only £50 ish so well worth the change for C4 owners
Old 10-21-2010, 03:57 PM
nidon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi , have been contempalting doing the same on mine, good to hear it made such a diffence !
where did you pick one up from ?
Old 10-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Unkle
Pro

I got mine off ebay, well worth the 50 quid I think. It doesn't get rid of the understeer completely, but remove the harsh transition from normal weight at the rear and then heavy understeer feel to a more balanced feel. Gave me much more confidence on roundabouts, corners etc
Old 10-21-2010, 04:19 PM
nidon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ideal, just what I,m hoping for. Will have to keep my eyes open on flea bay then
Thanks

Quick Reply: C4 ARB Question (Sway Bar)