Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardest decision ever 964 v 996.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Moffman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow didn't notice this thread was still active.
Quick update: I still kept searching for a 964 considering the option of maybe just getting a reliable beater but my heart sank every time I thought about it until one morning a Black on black 1994 964 5 speed manual came on auto trader in my price range in New Jersey.

Lets just say I couldn't resist and I am now the owner of a 964.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Lil bastard
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well congratulations... I hope.

Did you have a PPI done prior to purchasing the car? Do you have a thorough Ownership and Service history? Was anyone with any knowledge of Porsches in the 'Loop'?

Sorry to say it, but if the answers are No, you just did the equivalent of putting $17+k on a single roll of the dice at a Vegas Craps Table.

Through this thread, I must say you have sounded a little Polly Annish about getting your first Porsche.

You've driven one 996 at age 9? Of course you really didn't drive it, you may have controlled it over a short distance, probably straightline and more probably on a driveway or empty side street. That hardly qualifies. And you were a passenger in a 964? Please!

The primary criteria seem to have been "one which was in my price range", the look of the car and the comfort of it's interior.

No questions about Distributor vent kits, leaky valve covers, where to get a PPI, cost of insurance or of operation - the concerns of a serious potential buyer.

You age has been speculated here by some as being pretty young and somewhat confirmed by the timeline you describe such as riding in a 996 at age 9. A reasonable conclusion is that you're some sort of 'Trust Fund' kid. Who's father bought him the car to overcompensate for spending too much time at the office, to shut you up or to brag to his country club friends "Yea, I bought my kid a Porsche".

There's nothing inherently wrong with being a 'Trust Fund Kid'. But most of those I've encountered lack an appreciation for the value of money and respect for property. I hope this isn't the case so far as you're concerned.

No kid, who cannot buy and maintain the car properly themselves, belongs in a Porsche. Most owners here have achieved Porsche ownership only after much hard work and sacrifice, finally receiving some reward for a life of accomplishment.

But, enough pontificating and back on point. The old addage that 'the most expensive Porsche to own is generally that which was the least expensive to buy' is one of the absolute truisms of the Universe. It would be wise to buildup a reserve fund to have for repairs.

I'm not wishing you bad luck, and hope your ownership experience is a good one. But from what you've posted, you'll pardon me if I take a wait and see attitude.

Cheers!
Old 10-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Well congratulations... I hope.

Did you have a PPI done prior to purchasing the car? Do you have a thorough Ownership and Service history? Was anyone with any knowledge of Porsches in the 'Loop'?

Sorry to say it, but if the answers are No, you just did the equivalent of putting $17+k on a single roll of the dice on a Vegas Craps Table.

Through this thread, I must say you have sounded a little Polly Annish about getting your first Porsche.

You've driven one 996 at age 9? Of course you really didn't drive it, you may have controlled it over a short distance, probably straightline and more probably on a driveway or empty side street. That hardly qualifies. And you were a passenger in a 964? Please!

The primary criteria seem to have been "one which was in my price range", the look of the car and the comfort of it's interior.

No questions about Distributor vent kits, leaky valve covers, where to get a PPI or cost of operation - the concerns of a serious potential buyer.

You age has been speculated here by some as being pretty young and somewhat confirmed by the timeline you describe such as riding in a 996 at age 9. A reasonable conclusion is that you're some sort of 'Trust Fund' kid. Who's father bought him the car to overcompensate for spending too much time at the office, to shut you up or to brag to his country club friends "Yea, I bought my kid a Porsche".

There's nothing inherently wrong with being a 'Trust Fund Kid'. But most of those I've encountered lack an appreciation for the value of money and respect for property. I hope this isn't the case so far as you're concerned.

No kid, who cannot buy and maintain the car properly themselves, belongs in a Porsche. Most owners here have achieved Porsche ownership only after much hard work and sacrifice, finally receiving some reward for a life of accomplishment.

But, enough pontificating and back on point. The old addage that 'the most expensive Porsche to own is generally that which was the least expensive to buy' is one of the absolute truisms of the universe. It would be wise to buildup a reserve fund to have for repairs.

I'm not wishing you bad luck, and hope your ownership experience is a good one. But from what you've posted, you'll pardon me if I take a wait and see attitude.

Cheers!
Well aren't you just a "lil bastard."
You seemed to have "uncovered" my life story, and I don't want to spoil the reality to you sherlock holmes.

As for being on topic, I did have a very knowledgeable friend go with me to inspect the car, and yes it had a full service history with it.

The only thing I didn't do was get a PPI which is undoubtedly the golden rule, and I probably will end up regretting I guess in a sense my optimism was deceiving and got the best of me. All I can hope for is the best and if not well its my own fault and I have to accept that.

And as to your major concern, my father has not spent a dime of his own money on this car and he won't be either in the near future, technically I didn't earn it your right the money was left to me from when a grandfather of mine passed away, but as to the maintenance and other costs that will be completely from my own income which isn't much but isn't bad when I'm not paying rent but when I do move out I mostly will have to sell this car and in a sense it is immature to being a car I know I can't afford to maintain forever at the current rate but you only live once and I intend to enjoy it as much as possible.

Last edited by Moffman; 10-11-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Moffman
Well aren't you just a "lil bastard."
You seemed to have "uncovered" my life story, and I don't want to spoil the reality to you sherlock holmes.

As for being on topic, I did have a very knowledgeable friend go with me to inspect the car, and yes it had a full service history with it.

The only thing I didn't do was get a PPI which is undoubtedly the golden rule, and I problem will end up regretting I guess in a sense my optimism was deceiving and got the best of me. All I can hope for is the best and if not well its my own fault and I have to accept that.

And as to your major concern, my father has not spent a dime of his own money on this car and he won't be either in the near future, technically I didn't earn it your right the money was left to me from when a grandfather of mine passed away, but as to the maintenance and other costs that will be completely from my own income which isn't much but isn't bad when I'm not paying rent but when I do move out I mostly will have to sell this car and in a sense it is immature to being a car I know I can't afford to maintain forever at the current rate but you only live once and I intend to enjoy it as much as possible.
This thread is no longer a Porsche thread, ill check back on it for comic value
Old 10-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
This thread is no longer a Porsche thread, ill check back on it for comic value
Old 10-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Lil bastard
User

A bit sensitive.

Re-read what you wrote and what I wrote. I believe I made reasonable inferences from your posts and the information you provided, or didn't provide as may be the case.

At no time was I disrepectful of you or wish you any ill will, and I still don't.

Cheers!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 10-13-2010 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by Lil bastard
A bit sensitive.

Well, I'm done here.

Re-read what you wrote and what I wrote. I believe I made reasonable inferences from your posts and the information you provided, or didn't provide as may be the case.

At no time was I disrepectful of you or wish you any ill will, and I still don't.

Cheers!
Oh I was just messing around relax man.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:05 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Prius still sucks!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:35 AM
broody
3rd Gear

If the 964 gets too expensive, you should get a MR2 Turbo, they don't look good but they are still great to drive. I'm 20, I have mine since a year and half, compared to my father's 964, it feels just as good to drive (not talking about look or engine sound).
Old 10-12-2010, 04:50 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Congrats Moffman.

I think it is a good decision .. but just drive safely and definitely go out to the track.

You'll have some great memories and it MAY cost you less to run compared to the big depreciation on the new car.

a) When are you posting photos of the new car?

b) Now that you own the car, are you taking it in for a precautionary service? If so, let us know the mechanic's report!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Todds911
Instructor

Moffman,

Hang in there. Funny, I paid for one PPI, and as a result of it, didn't buy the car. Too much wrong. On the next car, I did not get an PPI (I broke the golden rule), as I too went off of car records and my own inspection. The car ended up being fine and I eventually sold it. But of course, it is always recommended to get a PPI, and of course, the rule is sometimes violated (personality and timing play a part).

Funny, some here "deduced" your age. I just looked at your Public Profile where you posted it.

Good luck to you.

You did violate the Silver Rule of posting pix of the new car!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by sml
Congrats Moffman.

I think it is a good decision .. but just drive safely and definitely go out to the track.

You'll have some great memories and it MAY cost you less to run compared to the big depreciation on the new car.

a) When are you posting photos of the new car?

b) Now that you own the car, are you taking it in for a precautionary service? If so, let us know the mechanic's report!
Originally Posted by Todds911
Moffman,

Hang in there. Funny, I paid for one PPI, and as a result of it, didn't buy the car. Too much wrong. On the next car, I did not get an PPI (I broke the golden rule), as I too went off of car records and my own inspection. The car ended up being fine and I eventually sold it. But of course, it is always recommended to get a PPI, and of course, the rule is sometimes violated (personality and timing play a part).

Funny, some here "deduced" your age. I just looked at your Public Profile where you posted it.

Good luck to you.

You did violate the Silver Rule of posting pix of the new car!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:48 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job Moffman. I have a black 1991 coupe on Long Island that I bought in May. I love it. Plan on your car providing you with equal amounts driving and wrenching joy.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Regulatori
Instructor

So wait, are you 17? I saw someone else mention it but not sure if you did.

I'm sorry but I had to chuckle when you said "I'm not paying rent but when I do move out."

Ah living at mom and dads at 17 with a 911. And to think I was a bit ashamed of myself of being a "faux-baller aka '35K a year millionaire'" at age 22 when I had my 911SC and lived in an apartment.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Not really interested in the rest of the story, but between 964 and 996 you made the right choice. Congrats and enjoy with your brain switched on! Oh and get some DE on track.

Quick Reply: Hardest decision ever 964 v 996.