Hardest decision ever 964 v 996.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Regulatori
17? Whoa...didn't see that.

I thought I was a bit reckless when I purchased a 911SC at the age of 22....and that's even knowing my dad was a former Porsche mechanic, had a garage full of tools, and I was really mature at the time.

I would personally get a few more years of driving under your belt before buying a 911.
mmm thats true
Old 10-07-2010, 12:40 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

If you subscribe to the theory that you should live life to the fullest each day, then 964 all the way!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:29 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
If you subscribe to the theory that you should live life to the fullest each day, then 964 all the way!
Listen to this wise man, he knows of what he speaks. Hi Andy!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moffman
The dramatic title pretty much describes it.

I'm in the market for a new daily driver/enjoyment car, and after about 6 months of research I've decided on either a 964 C2 or a 996 C2.

Everyday I constantly switch back from both cars, thats why I want to hear some of your opinions. The 996 would obviously be the better DD but I'm not sure I would enjoy it as much as the 964, and air cooled flat six is orgasmic.

Unfortunately I have only been able to test drive the 996 and that was when I was about 9 years old, I have though been fortunate enough to be a passenger in a 964 and it was pretty amazing. Anyone ever driven a 964 and a 996 and what was your thoughts on each?

(Damn every time I make a thread I have a 3 page essay in my head but it comes out trimmed, any extra info I'm forgetting I'll add it in as I go.)

After a few others have mentioned it, i can't help but comment again. At what age were you driving, if you are now after a new daily driver?

Also at 17 I would get a low powered civic and release teen angst on that, otherwise something serious may happen...
Old 10-07-2010, 11:32 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

My 12 year old son drives carts and is rather talented. There is no way he will be driving any Porsche as a DD at 17. I made some mistakes when I got my first 911 a 71-911E at 17 that I don''t wish on any inexperienced driver. I was still making them when I got my first SC at 21. Learned a lot over the years and even in the right hands you have to put aside youthful enthusiasm to drive one of these every day.

I will allow my son to drive at AX events and work his way into DE under controlled conditions but on the streets I worry more about others than him.

Here is another road i drove several times and there i nothing like endless switchbacks for real fun. Although cooked the brakes on this one back in the 80's and nearly didn't make it down in one piece.
Attached Images  
Old 10-08-2010, 02:09 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Hi Udo - you are way too kind!

My 964 has been in the shop for five months getting the engine rebuilt and a bunch of other stuff (new brakes and Fabspeed exhaust) - hopefully get my baby back next week. I've been driving a Prius in the meantime (when not riding my motorcycle) - worst piece of crap I've ever driven.

Andy
Old 10-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Cosmos99
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
Easy decision:

Unless it's an 04/05 GT3 it has to be a 964
I agree 100%!
Old 10-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
Hi Udo - you are way too kind!

My 964 has been in the shop for five months getting the engine rebuilt and a bunch of other stuff (new brakes and Fabspeed exhaust) - hopefully get my baby back next week. I've been driving a Prius in the meantime (when not riding my motorcycle) - worst piece of crap I've ever driven.

Andy
I feel for ya brother.

Jeremy Clarkson pretty much sums up the Prius and correctly I might add as:

A very expensive, very complexe, not terrible green, slow, cheaply made and pointless way of moving around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5zHBqq5H-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOy...eature=related
Old 10-09-2010, 01:40 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Well, then Jeremy Clarkson has it exactly right - the Prius has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I can't believe how many you see here in California - seems like every other car is a Prius. I'm sure glad I belong to the 964 club.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:55 PM
bisnaka
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

964 is a joy to ride and not be a garage queen! Enjoy the experience.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by cobalt
My 12 year old son drives carts and is rather talented. There is no way he will be driving any Porsche as a DD at 17. I made some mistakes when I got my first 911 a 71-911E at 17 that I don''t wish on any inexperienced driver. I was still making them when I got my first SC at 21. Learned a lot over the years and even in the right hands you have to put aside youthful enthusiasm to drive one of these every day.

I will allow my son to drive at AX events and work his way into DE under controlled conditions but on the streets I worry more about others than him.

Here is another road i drove several times and there i nothing like endless switchbacks for real fun. Although cooked the brakes on this one back in the 80's and nearly didn't make it down in one piece.
That is a great looking road must say... it looks familiar, where is this one?
Old 10-11-2010, 04:22 AM
Unkle
Pro

Looks like the Stelvio pass near Switzerland but they all look the same, you find lots of roads like it including the San Bernadino Pass and Splugen Pass all in Italy Swiss Area, but its probably somewhere completely different.

Off Topic: The Prius is a great car, and quoting Top Gear is not a good way to support your point, well not with Clarksons views anyway, ever heard what he says about the Porsche?
Old 10-11-2010, 04:42 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

It is the Stelvio.
I'd buy a diesel VW before a Prius.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:52 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Red face

Originally Posted by Unkle
Looks like the Stelvio pass near Switzerland but they all look the same, you find lots of roads like it including the San Bernadino Pass and Splugen Pass all in Italy Swiss Area, but its probably somewhere completely different.

Off Topic: The Prius is a great car, and quoting Top Gear is not a good way to support your point, well not with Clarksons views anyway, ever heard what he says about the Porsche?
Just because he may be wrong about one thing doesn't mean he's wrong about everything...

...the truth is no one is always right or always wrong.

My personal opinion is: the production of new cars as a whole is bad for the environment, producing a new e.g. Prius (new factories etc..) is more harmful for the environment than keeping an old car on the road.

Produce a new car and it be harmful: Ok its bad but its the truth.
But to be sold a Prius on the back of its the way to protect our environment is a spoon-fed lie. The only reason which is fair but be honest anyone would buy a Prius is for 3 reasons:

1. They're saving money on fuel.
2. They believe the lie.
3. Vanity.

Apologies if I come across very strong, its a point I feel strongly about. As said this is my humble opinion As always I'm open to being convinced.

PS. OP buy 964
Old 10-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Unkle
Pro

I would also buy a VAG TDI before a Prius, in fact i do own an Audi TDI, but i still think that in these times the Prius needed to be made.

This is probably not a good example but here is my thinking. The low energy light bulbs were really expensive 10 years ago when new and pretty poor at omitting light, so some bought them but they weren't as good as the normal light bulb. But over the years they have started to become cheaper and more efficient at omitting light and energy saving especially with the LED technology. I kind of hope the Prius is the same...

I got my hard hat on as i assume i will be torn apart with that example now lol.

OT: Buy a sensible car for commuting

Quick Reply: Hardest decision ever 964 v 996.