Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a car for daily driving that has headers/no cats......

Old 09-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Regulatori
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a car for daily driving that has headers/no cats......

I'm getting close to buying a 964 that has an aftermarket headers/exhaust system. I really want to keep the exhaust because it's an expensive setup but face two issues.

1. It has no heat exchangers. I live in the NW where it rarely gets all that cold but during winter it is nice to have heat. Even if I don't have heat for warmth, it's nice to use it for defrosting in the cold. Has anyone daily driven a car with no heat in mild climates? I have a feeling that it might not be that big of a deal.

2. It has no cats and I'm going to need an emissions test. Since it's pre-OBD2, it will need a sniff test. Is there any tricks to get a 911 to pass with no cats or is that a lost cause?

I'm thinking the best idea might be to sell the setup to someone that has a 964 as a track car and trade for the stock exhaust + cash....I'm just not really excited about getting rid of it.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:52 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

What state, and what are the requirements?

I have no direct experience, but I recall hearing the 964 will pass most states requirements with no cats. The problem, at least in Georgia is that there is a physical inspection to verify the cat is present.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Regulatori
Instructor

Washington State

It's been awhile since I was tested because I was down in California for the past 5 years. I don't remember any type of visual test but I'm not 100% sure.

I tried to find the actual numbers they test for but couldn't find anything on the website.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Sounds like a headache for a daily driver in a cold climate. For a daily driver you will need heat in the NW even it is just to defrost your windows which is a safety issue. As springer3 said, some states also check for the cat.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:41 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my CCU out and rear fan relay to do a test drive while diagnosing another electrical problem. Outside temp wasn't even below zero....... I couldn't believe how fing cold it was in the car! Mine is only a weekend car but I still wouldn't want to drive it without heat.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:55 AM
BVF
Track Day

I lived in Oregon with my heatless 964 and was fine. Then again im tougher than your average male. I am also running aftermarket headers to a 2 in 2 out muffler with no cats and I passed emissions with flying colors both in Oregon and Texas, where i currently reside.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I live in OR and my car has headers (no heat). Its NOT fun when its cool outside and especially when you need defrost.

My recommendation would be to install some heat exchangers, otherwise you may be pretty miserable if you wish to drive it all year around.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:24 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I lived in Oregon with my heatless 964 and was fine. Then again im tougher than your average male. I am also running aftermarket headers to a 2 in 2 out muffler with no cats and I passed emissions with flying colors both in Oregon and Texas, where i currently reside.
Just curious, where were you able to get your inspection done here in TX? I thought they were pretty strict about doing a visual cat inspection.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I live in OR and my car has headers (no heat). Its NOT fun when its cool outside and especially when you need defrost.

My recommendation would be to install some heat exchangers, otherwise you may be pretty miserable if you wish to drive it all year around.
+1

yeah. I though a got a dream gig to pick up an RSR from New York and drive it back to Chicago... in November.

Froze my *** off, couldn't see out of the thing, no heat and had drive the interstate with the windows part way down. I am sure it was warmer outside the car at a stop than inside.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:09 PM
BVF
Track Day

Originally Posted by kylejohnston1
Just curious, where were you able to get your inspection done here in TX? I thought they were pretty strict about doing a visual cat inspection.

In houston. shell station at the corner of richmond and montrose. no visual inspection, just hooked it up to the sniffer
Old 09-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BVF
In houston. shell station at the corner of richmond and montrose. no visual inspection, just hooked it up to the sniffer
....ditto, just had it done in Dallas and no visual inspection.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Regulatori
Instructor

Okay, I could have sworn I posted a pic of my exhaust setup with some questions concerning heat exchangers a few posts up and now the post is gone. Are we not allowed to post pictures of exhausts here? The only other thing is that I might not have hit submit...I'm pretty sure I posted it though and no moderators have contacted me if they removed it.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Regulatori
Instructor

Here is the post again. I have no affiliation with this company and not trying to sell a product.

This is my exhaust setup...

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/96...29-2-exit.html

-Can custom heat exchangers be added onto something like this?

-Is it possible that I could run stock heat exchangers and have a muffler shop fabricate piping in order to use the existing muffler/two tips?
Old 09-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Very nice set-up. Problem is that retrofitting a stock system will not get you dual exhausts. Sorry can't help.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:47 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to swap back to stock in my part of Oregon... due to the DEQ and visual inspections. Cars in the DEQ zone have to have a visual cat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a car for daily driving that has headers/no cats......