Sponsored by:

Cab top latch motor very stubborn

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cab top latch motor very stubborn

I didn't want to post another Cab related issue. I tried to put my top down this morning but the driver's side latch would not disengaged. The RH side seem to be okay and want to lift off the windshield frame. I've read many post including an excellent post by 95Cab on latch removal. It looks pretty straight forward with top down but not when top is up.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...r-replace.html

My problem is the latch motor will not come out. I've turned the little wheel to manually open/disengaged the latch for removal, removed the 4 allen type bolts holding the latch motor. The motor is loose and almost want to come out but will not. It looks like the locking mechanism is still inside and engaged even after I've turned the wheel endlessly. I'm afraid to force it out.

Is there a trick to this; maybe an angle or position to remove the latch motor? Is the hole really small that makes it very difficult to remove the latch motor?

Any help is appreciated,
Ryan
90 Cab C4

Last edited by Ryan360; 08-15-2010 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:54 AM
hawk911
Race Car

I had to take the upholstered cover off, and then pull down on the frame just next to the motor on mine. Works, until I can figure out what's loose.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:44 PM
machisono
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab top Latch

Aloha Ryan, Any updates? I have the same problem on the passenger side. I removed the upholstery to expose latch motor and it just spins freely and will not disengage locking pin.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

Originally Posted by machisono
Aloha Ryan, Any updates? I have the same problem on the passenger side. I removed the upholstery to expose latch motor and it just spins freely and will not disengage locking pin.
Aloha,
Is your top down? I'm still trying to figure out if the locking pin is really in open position since it won't come out freely. I know it's very loose. 95Cab informed me via email to make sure pin is open all the way and lines up with hole. He said that was the most difficult part of this DIY. He also said to try to figure out how to put the top down to make it easier to pull the latch motor out. I'm thinking of manually disengaging the RH side motor and see if the LH latch motor would free up and come out of the frame. But if the pin is not open position then a visit to convertible expert or even my p-car tech may be inevitable. Who should I go to first???

I think this all started when I raised the RH side for access to wheel well. Somehow it misalligned the cab to frame and jammed the latch pin. I should have put the top down prior to raising the car on one side. Just my guess.
Mahalo,
Ryan
Old 08-15-2010, 11:42 PM
machisono
Advanced

Yes, top down, frustration high.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Ryan360
Instructor

I was able to get it out after much twiddling. Now the decision whether to replace gear only for $99, used $280 or new unit $359.

Any experience with changing gear only? How long did the unit last?
Old 08-17-2010, 01:29 PM
machisono
Advanced

Aloha Ryan, good news. Here is a link to the latch gear motor exposed
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tch-motor.html
that is where I left off last night. My passenger side latch gear has a broken tooth and I have a few questions but I'll wait until I try Sean's instructions. Joe

Quick Reply: Cab top latch motor very stubborn