Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 964 leaky cylinders...one man's tale

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:55 PM
Dave White
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressions? The 3.8 doesn't add drastic power, even with all of the other stuff I did. But, it IS there. The torque is definitely higher, climbs hills like they aren't even there. The reason I did the heater blower delete and stock airbox delete for a cone setup was more to get at my coil over adjusters than anything else. Plus it frees up the engine compartment for a better view of my powder coated parts!
The wong software is very good, the car is smoother through the range than it ever was, but I did many, many things that could also have effected that. I am still in the break in mileage, but at some point, probably next year, I can dyno the car and have the chip optimized to the results, which should give me a little more.
I am extremely happy with the turnout, but of course went way over my projected budget. I had to replace many rusted parts as the car has always been a northern one, and I rebuilt or replaced all the accessories while the engine was out: alternator, ps pump, distributor, injectors flow tested and cleaned, the list goes on and on.
My only regret is I chose too stiff a suspension. I may get used to it, but these JIC's are very stiff. I like to explore a lot of secondary county roads in the country, and they aren't smooth, and the suspension is too harsh for this. I may change them out next year after my wallet recovers(if it ever does!), so if someone has an early 964... or if you want an awesome track setup and want to trade something, let me know.
If anyone has any questions, or would like to see a picture of something, let me know. Hope you all enjoyed!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Dave White
Racer

Oh, and I'm not quite done yet, are we ever? I have a few pieces coming from Carbon Marcus and I'm painting that gold bracket on the left side black so that it doesn't show up as much.
Next year I may update the flag mirrors and have a front spoiler added, as well as repairing some rust bubbles around the windshield that are starting to form, along with a new windshield. The rear spoiler was on it when I bought it, I wouldn't have bought the car without it. I like it, I know there are many that feel it is too gaudy. The wheels I replaced myself from the factory D90's.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:05 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really enjoyed reading that

thanks.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

nice work!

Thomas
Old 08-01-2010, 07:40 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

One of the best posts I've seen. Thanks for insight on many of the things I've encountered and considered.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Ryan360
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice set up. did you paint the intakes yourself?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Dave White
Racer

Thanks guys. The parts were professionally powder coated, amazing how much it adds to the overall effect, no?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:59 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Great posts! Thanks.

Quick Reply: Early 964 leaky cylinders...one man's tale