Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Punching a hole on oil Filter vs Loosening filter housing vent?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:34 AM
Ryan360
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Punching a hole on oil Filter vs Loosening filter housing vent?

I'm changing oil on my 964. I've read two different ways to get most of the oil out of the filter and filter housing.

Question: Which is really better?
1.Punching a hole in the filter?
OR
2.Loosening the vent on the backside of the oil filter housing?
Old 07-26-2010, 02:47 AM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neither?
Once I punched the hole and what a mess, never again..
the trick is to drain the tank and case then undo the filter, my theory and not scientific but "feels better" this way
Old 07-26-2010, 03:31 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Punch a little hole on upper side of the filter, then undo the plugs on the case and the tank. This will "suck" most of the oil out of the filter/filter house. Finally put a piece of tape over the hole and undo the filter. It's easier than getting a good grip of the bolt inside the rear fender where it's dark and dirty.

Thomas
Old 07-26-2010, 03:54 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done both... when I punch a hole in the filter, I also do it first, thus causing more of the oil to be drawn out. Then I take a piece of tape and cover the hole before pulling off the filter. I actually like undoing the bolt in the filter console, but it takes a little more time as you really need to clean around the bolt before loosening it - keeps the dirt out of the threads so you get a clean seal when re-assembling.

When I do the bolt, there seems to be less oil in the console... and it is recommended in all the manuals.

BTW, if you spin the filter off using a plastic bag, it can capture all the drips. I have done oil changes where I don't lose a drop- victory! ...and others that were total nightmares when I didn't get the filter back on tight enough.. big big mess. I believe it has as much to do with karma as anything else...
Old 07-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can also use compressed air from a blow gun to blow into the hole in the filter which eliminates the mess. Do it after the tank has been drained though.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I have not found it necessary to punch a hole in the filter, if I remove the plug on the filter console. Just be sure to clean the area around the plug before removing. I have no problems with drips/gushes when removing the filter.
YMMV
Old 07-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts

Keep in mind not all cars have the vent plug on the filter console. Some of the early cars did not - my
'90 doesn't. YMMV.
It's probably not documented as to when Porsche used up the non-vented console inventory.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oracle
Neither?
Once I punched the hole and what a mess, never again..
the trick is to drain the tank and case then undo the filter, my theory and not scientific but "feels better" this way
+1
I use a few layers of paper towels under the filter, let everything drain first, then spin the filter off. I've drooled a few drops a couple times, but I've got the hang of it now and I generally don't spill a drop.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:14 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
Keep in mind not all cars have the vent plug on the filter console. Some of the early cars did not - my
'90 doesn't. YMMV.
It's probably not documented as to when Porsche used up the non-vented console inventory.
Very interesting - I did not know that. My MY92 (build date mid/late '91) and MY93 have the vent plug on the filter console.
So, with that in mind - yes, I agree that punching a hole in the filter will have glorious results in reducing oil spillage from the filter, if you do not have a vent plug in the filter console.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS964
Very interesting - I did not know that. My MY92 (build date mid/late '91) and MY93 have the vent plug on the filter console.
I don't believe it's mentioned in Adrian's book; I also have the factory manuals and the manuals only refer to the vent plug.
So you can imagine how confused I was when changing the oil for the first time and I couldn't find the damn plug. I had a new crush ring and everything.
So now I just do the same as Oracle & Bearclaw.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Dsqr964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did mine a few weeks ago and used the Small hole in the oil filter method. Worked great no oil was spilled. Tape though is a must over the hole. I used a nail to punch the hole about 4mm wide. Not large at all just enough to let the air in and the oil flow. -D²
Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

thanks for the info.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
You can also use compressed air from a blow gun to blow into the hole in the filter which eliminates the mess. Do it after the tank has been drained though.
x2. I've used both methods and this one works best for me and is less time consuming.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Ryan360
Instructor

If using compressed air, wouldn't the sediments from the filter itself go back in the engine if dirty oil is blown back??
Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

"Just did mine a few weeks ago and used the Small hole in the oil filter method. Worked great no oil was spilled. Tape though is a must over the hole. I used a nail to punch the hole about 4mm wide. Not large at all just enough to let the air in and the oil flow. -D²"

This is the method I use and not a drop of oil is leaked into the engine compartment.

Quick Reply: Punching a hole on oil Filter vs Loosening filter housing vent?