Sponsored by:

blower motor fixed

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:07 AM
bcr4d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blower motor fixed

I found out my problem was the 25 amp fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. Blower would only work on blue dot, any attempt to go to red the dash vents would cut off, as well as no defroster. I did change the relay but forgot about the fuse. Anyway, heat and defroster works. Now I just have to find out the deal with my rear spoiler.n
Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

I've had same problems lately. I read a post the other day that said Porsche issued an update to go to a 30a fuse. Would like to confirm that.

Spoiler issue was a bad controller, which is located under passenger seat. I replaced the transistors, but I think it was one of the relays that was bad. Still working on it, but a used replacement controller solved everything.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:44 AM
bcr4d
Instructor

Originally Posted by altarchsa
I've had same problems lately. I read a post the other day that said Porsche issued an update to go to a 30a fuse. Would like to confirm that.

Spoiler issue was a bad controller, which is located under passenger seat. I replaced the transistors, but I think it was one of the relays that was bad. Still working on it, but a used replacement controller solved everything.
What was your spoiler doing or not doing. Mine will only raise about half way and the dash light would come on. I removed the cable and turned it by hand and there was no binding issues what so ever, so I'm thinking the problem is in the motor or some other place.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:57 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Mine would deploy only and not retract. I think the problem is one of the two relays on the board is fried. I still think something is binding on yours. Have you tried full operation with drill connected to the cable? No damaged teeth on the blade gear? A little grease?

You can bypass the controller and check the motor by disconnecting the wiring and supplying 12v directly to the connector pins. Reverse to check full operation.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:04 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Yes I did the drill backwards and forward, smooth as silk, can even turn it by hand. I'll double check when I get back home
Old 12-23-2010, 01:16 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

If you try hot-wiring the motor and it works both directions to fully extended / retracted, then I think it has to be the controller.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:48 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

If you try hot-wiring the motor and it works both directions to fully extended / retracted, then I think it has to be the controller.
Hotwire? How do I do that. Another question, how do I disable the spoiler completely until I get this issue solved? Hate riding around town with the spoiler halfway up.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:14 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

I don't know about your year model, but mine has a push-together connector at the motor with offset round pins in it for + and -. If you have a battery charger, spare battery, or can run some test wires from the battery or any other "hot" source to the pins in the connector, you can actuate the motor. Just watch for direction of operation and reverse the test wires if necessary to first deploy, then retract the spoiler. If the motor is good it will operate the spoiler completely, and you'll know the controller is the most likely problem.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:26 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Thanks for the info. I'll work on that once I get back in town tomorrow. Let you know what I find out. Thanks again
Old 12-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Link to the Porsche TSB on that subject here.

Regards

Dave
Old 12-28-2010, 12:53 PM
la crosse
Advanced

OP - I'm having the same problem you had with the HVAC only working on the blue dot.
I got a resistor from Pelican Parts, but I don't know where it goes.

Can you let me know where the resistor goes on the rear blower?

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ballast resistor for the rear blower is clipped into the left side of the plastic plenum pipe which runs between the blower and the entry into the heat exchanger. It's right opposite the triangular fuse/relay panel.

Regards

Dave
Old 12-28-2010, 01:44 PM
la crosse
Advanced

Thank you Computametic!

Quick Reply: blower motor fixed