Sponsored by:

experiences on welding sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010 | 11:07 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Default experiences on welding sunroof

Folks,

In the ever ongoing project that appears to be my 964, I've decided "I think" that the sunroof needs to go. I've no intention on selling the car, so resales not an issue. but would like to get others experiences on getting this done.
The last time I used the sunroof in anger was to check it still worked, so thats how often that happens.

TIA

Kevin
Old 06-26-2010 | 02:25 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin:

There is a "no-welding" way to fill in a panel. I am certain all 911 roof stampings are the same, so it is best to start with a straight one. Cut the donor panel somewhat larger than with sunroof and its supports. Draw the outline of the donor part on the existing roof. Draw your cut lines about 15 mm inside the outline of the donor part. Two special tools are needed. One is a panel flanger to make a step in the donor panel so that the raised section is exactly at the height of the roof when the donor is fitted from the inside. The second tool is a dimpler used to put matching dimples in the roof and in the flange of the replacement part. The matching dimples add considerably to strength and stiffness as well.

Rivets hold the panel in place until the structural adhesive sets, and you have a roof panel that is just as stiff as a welded one, but without the heat distortion. All steel is flush or recessed, so minimal body filler in the seam and rivet dimples will give a perfect job. I would do my car, except the finish is original and still unblemished.

Airplane panels are joined using rivets and glue, so nobody should disparage the lack of welding in sheet metal work. You do not burn off the corrosion protection, so ensuring rust is never a factor is easier with a glue-in panel.

Is it not ironic that people paid something like $1500 extra to get a sunroof RSA?
Old 06-26-2010 | 11:46 PM
kopo
Instructor

The sheet metal on the roof maybe too thin to weld. It’s possible that you may not only have a warping problem from the heat of the welder but it may also blow through. How about adding a new skin?

http://www.performance-trim.com/prod...?product_id=74
Old 06-27-2010 | 04:38 PM
GT TWO
Racer

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies
Folks,

In the ever ongoing project that appears to be my 964, I've decided "I think" that the sunroof needs to go. I've no intention on selling the car, so resales not an issue. but would like to get others experiences on getting this done.
The last time I used the sunroof in anger was to check it still worked, so thats how often that happens.

TIA

Kevin

Hello Kevin

Are you looking to do cage? If yes put a carbon roofskin on like I have bought.

I would be careful with welding the sunroof, Ollie at RPM did this and he is now going the carbon route.

He was not happy with the result.

Cheers

Lee
Old 06-27-2010 | 06:34 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

On welding the roof panel.

the roof generally buckles if you fully weld the sunroof in, best bet is to either replace with a new panel and weld on the sides (plus this gives you room to fully weld the cage) or to stich the sunroof in place and use filler for the the voids - it works but never looks perfect.
Best bet is a new panel - the CF panels are nice but i am not sure what the weight delta is over the steel peice. (the ones i have seen are pretty thick so i would suggest you check the weight of each first)

Also any pre-1994 911 roof panel can be used since the profile is the sale.
Old 06-28-2010 | 02:03 AM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

seems like a lot of effort and focus on something you pay so little attention to ...
Old 06-28-2010 | 02:29 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

makes sernse for a track car, or a special project. otherwise not many people bother with it even if they hate sunroofs.
Old 06-28-2010 | 08:10 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Its not that hard as long as you have experience welding thin metal. You can take the factory sunroof, peel back the lip on the chassis and the sunroof and weld it in without warping it.
Old 06-28-2010 | 10:12 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

One of the Club Racers did this over the Winter and was nice enough to chronicle his progress in this thread: FredC's sunroof delete project

Includes lots of pics (like this one):
Old 06-29-2010 | 11:13 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Cheers folks, thats plenty to think about.....

regards

kevin

Quick Reply: experiences on welding sunroof