Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Can I expect to get for my car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:11 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's 2 values on a car; what you think its worth and what someone is willing to pay for it. Hopefully the 2 numbers aren't far apart when you need to sell it.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with kopo.
I think 17-19k is in the range, and only because it has had a topend and suspension. I would list it under 20k so you dont scare buyers off as being unrealistic.

The issue Ive found is that people with 100k mile cars are asking 18-22k and they are totally stock w/o topend or suspension. Then they are amazed/offended when buyers push back given suspension is shot (19 yrs old) and you have to expect a topend is coming soon.

good luck, and just my opinion.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:58 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cars seem to come in waves... Right now it seems there are a number of them up for sale... where the list for cars was pretty bare all winter. I don't know, but supply/demand may play a role.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:02 PM
TR6
Drifting

The other problem is that buyers are rarely willing to pay a premium for performance mods. A top end rebuild definitely adds some value. Or worst case, makes the car easier to sell. Things like bolt in cages, exhaust bypasses, LWF, etc, do not. And in many cases, will actually hurt the value (depending on the potential buyer). Without knowing anything more about the car, I'd say ask $20K and hope to get no less than $18K. Might require some patience even at that price. Maybe pull the cage out and sell it separately if it can be done with no evidence that it was ever there. Seats too if you still have the originals to put back in.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:39 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with the price and agree with some above certain mods will scare off buyers. i would never of bought a car with a cage etc just because I know it was tracked. brake upgrades chip LWF don't scare me off but if I saw a car that was gutted etc that would. Just like colors some people just have their mind set on a certain color and will attract some and scare off others.

best of luck in your sale I almost sold mine but just can't bring myself to do it. oh well I guess it is true once you have a porsche you don't sell it you just keep adding more cars lol
Old 06-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow guys, I didn't expect this thread to get to two pages over night ... lots of great input, with a little side tracking there in the middle ... haha

I really don't think I can bring myself to selling my car for 18k ... now if I can get 25k, that is a little more worth it for me. I THINK i can sell it, but when I get in the car, fire it up, and start cruising around ... I just don't know how i can live without it.

Originally Posted by springer3
How is the clutch and shift action? How is the subjective noise, vibration, and harshness? With both mufflers by-passed, can the car realistically be used for a long trip?

Another key issue not mentioned is the collision history. A car that has never been seriously bent is going to be stiffer, more free of wind/water leaks, and more rattle-free than a car that has been repaired after a hard impact. What motiveated the re-spray? Garage-kept 964 hold the factory paint, and therefore a re-spray is a caution flag for a car that was parked in the weather or had an accident.
Clutch has about 2k on it .. I also installed a new master and slave (there was something funky going on there) so as far as the action, working very well now.

the car has a clean record. I did the respray because of a couple vandalism incidences. For some reason, people hate my car. Its been keyed twice, spat on multiple times, soda thrown at it. Once, someone put a piece of bread under one of my wipers. I think it was to attract birds to **** on it.

As far as the mufflers, I have the secondary one, so no biggie there ...

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
wack I have driven many cars and still your right i could not be without my pcar... I will wash and wax her this weekend and kind of apologize for even thinking about selling her..

I think I may have to clay bar mine ...

Originally Posted by TR6
The other problem is that buyers are rarely willing to pay a premium for performance mods. A top end rebuild definitely adds some value. Or worst case, makes the car easier to sell. Things like bolt in cages, exhaust bypasses, LWF, etc, do not. And in many cases, will actually hurt the value (depending on the potential buyer). Without knowing anything more about the car, I'd say ask $20K and hope to get no less than $18K. Might require some patience even at that price. Maybe pull the cage out and sell it separately if it can be done with no evidence that it was ever there. Seats too if you still have the originals to put back in.

I do actually have the stock seats, cage is fairly easily removable. I haven't tracked the car yet, I intend to, but haven't had the change to do that yet.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:08 PM
TR6
Drifting

As another point of reference (or really just to commiserate with you), on my RSA, I spent $17K+ on an engine rebuild not too long ago and another approx $3.5K for a trans rebuild and RS LWF and clutch. We did numberous improvements/upgrades to the engine which is why it went from a $12K rebuild to a $17K+ rebuild. I have so much money in that car now that I would take a $20K loss on it if I sold it. But believe it or not, I periodically think I should sell it because it rarely gets driven any longer. And because I know I could use the money to support my race track habit. But I know I would seriously regret it if I sold it...

Quick Reply: What Can I expect to get for my car.