Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Can I expect to get for my car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Can I expect to get for my car.

It seems as if there are many opinions out there on the values of these cars. Unfortunately, I am thinking about selling my car in order to follow a dream I have put on hold for too long. The only way I would get rid of my 964, is if I got a price that was worth it.

Here is what I have done. I'm hoping you guys can give me an idea of what I can realistically ask for this

1990 C2 with 120k ...

- Top end was rebuilt 2k miles ago ... (plus new rings, ARP head studs, all tin refinished, valve covers powder coated, new caps, rotors, plugs, etc)
- Cam regrind
- LWF
- The car has fresh paint. Other than the bumpers, it is flawless.
- RS wing
- 17in Porsche Boxster wheels
- Lowered on Koni adjustables with H&R springs
- Primary/secondary bypass pipes
- Autopower bolt in cage
- 911chips custom chip
- Corbeau suede seats
- 7in custom mounted screen

I just don't want to have unrealistic expectations and throw up a unreasonable price. And at the same time, I would rather not get lowballed.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:57 PM
kopo
Instructor

It sounds too me that you have a really nice car Paulie. Without seeing some detailed photos of your car. I would put a realistic price tag around the $18,000 range. Good luck with the sale. J
Old 06-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Thanks Kopo, I love that damn thing ... I'm not sure if i can part with it for 18k .. I'm not in the market to sell quite yet. Before I even CONSIDER letting my baby go, I'd like to know what I can realistically expect.

Thanks again in advance to all of you for all your input ...
Old 06-24-2010, 11:06 PM
kopo
Instructor

You’re welcome Bro, and by no means am I an expert on 964’s. I hope you get $30,000….. ;-)
Old 06-25-2010, 07:20 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I sounds like a great car, but I would want to see a lot more information. The condition of the interior is important, as a fresh interior costs as much as a fresh engine. Porsches have always been best experienced dynamically - on the road or on the track. How is the ride and handling? How is the clutch and shift action? How is the subjective noise, vibration, and harshness? With both mufflers by-passed, can the car realistically be used for a long trip?

Another key issue not mentioned is the collision history. A car that has never been seriously bent is going to be stiffer, more free of wind/water leaks, and more rattle-free than a car that has been repaired after a hard impact. What motiveated the re-spray? Garage-kept 964 hold the factory paint, and therefore a re-spray is a caution flag for a car that was parked in the weather or had an accident.

Miles are about average for the fleet, but at this age there are both dogs and rare gems depending on care and amount of garage time versus in-the weather time. If this is a well-kept car, it could be priced around $19K. If the car is tired-looking or tired-driving or has collision history, you will have a very tough time because of market conditions.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:01 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure on your car but am thinking about selling my car 52k miles rebuilt motor and a strong 9.5/10 on paint and interior and was thinking 23k... having second thoughts now though.. don't need the money or need to sell so what does everyone think sell keep?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If you don't have the need... KEEP IT! After the engine work, the paint, cosmetics, etc. why would you want to let it go??
Old 06-25-2010, 09:12 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

wachuko your right was thinking about maybe something different but you know what what would I get for 23k that is so sweet? I will just buy another car lol really please the wife...
Old 06-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Wink

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
wachuko your right was thinking about maybe something different but you know what what would I get for 23k that is so sweet? I will just buy another car lol really please the wife...
The only thing different I would add (add, not replace with) is a Ferrari 348 Speciale that is for sale in FChat for 37K...
Old 06-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I have had many opportunities to get rid of my car... and I can't. I just love the feel for the old german leather, the smell of oil, the go-kart feel, even the sound of that engine (some 4 years ago I even drove a Ferrari Testarossa and still like how my car sounded over the F)...

Anyway, to each their own. I have not driven as many cars as the folks here... but from what I have driven, the 964 is a very sweet ride for those car nuts that still like to feel something when driving around.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:26 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

love the 355 not 348. but afraid of the maint costs..
I think I will buy a s55 amg for my daily car. can pick a used one up pretty cheap and to have a four door car would be nice as well. Have the 964 and a jeep wrangler. lol so basically nno room lol
Old 06-25-2010, 09:39 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

wack I have driven many cars and still your right i could not be without my pcar... I will wash and wax her this weekend and kind of apologize for even thinking about selling her..
Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
love the 355 not 348. but afraid of the maint costs..
Same here. But at 37K for a car that is rare (you have to see the seats on that car!) I was very tempted. Even for just firing it up in the garage from time to time to hear the sound of that engine...

Anyway, back to the subject, keep the car and start driving it and enjoying it more...
Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

$20k

Now, for OT:
I used to long for Ferrari's. Owned a 911, but marginally coveted the odd F-car from afar.

Then I sat in one.
(Parked next to mine at a company 'car show'.)

Steering wheel over the right leg (see photo, above)... pedals way the crap off to the right... seat back angled back so far to the rear (leaving arms straight out, with only hopes of a simian having a chance to turn aggressively)... no helmet room overhead... crazy circus clown car ergonomics.
And reports from the owner that the center tunnel (the route of the water lines) made the thing a rotisserie on long drives.

I said not a disparaging word to the owner.
Gave him a verbal thumbs-up on leaving.
But - MAN! - was I ever so happy to get back into my little 911.
I no longer covet.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:44 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
The only thing different I would add (add, not replace with) is a Ferrari 348 Speciale that is for sale in FChat for 37K...
Mechanicsburg is within driving distance, I can go and do a Renn-fax on it for you. Or should it be an F-fax?

But Lonnie is right, the passion and soul quickly run out when you sit inside. You quickly realize that had ze Germans been involved things would be much more comfortable rather than beautiful.

Back on topic, the car in question should really sell for the low to mid-20s. All the major issues have been taken care of, I see no reason why settle for anything below that, esecially if you don't NEED to sell it.

Happy Friday everybody!

Quick Reply: What Can I expect to get for my car.