Sponsored by:

RE: 1993 RSA For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 1993 RSA For Sale

Maybe, maybe not, but it is a strong consideration. I am looking for some advice how to prodeed. Before I bought this car in 2007, I had an 86 3.2 that gave me 82 track days with only 2 of 328 run sessions missed.

I have tried to manage the slope and keep a car that can be street driven, but still take it to the track to drive it the way it was built / designed to be driven. It is still stock, except for HR Turbo Springs / Bilstein HDs, Momo Seats / Harness Bar/ 6 point belts, Primary Bypass, and a RS Ride-height/ corner balancing for 17" MPSC Tires on Boxter 7 & 9 Wheels. The brakes have new OEM rotors with PFC-97 Pads.

The car has all the wrong options for a track car. (Sunroof & A/C, but no LSD).

The car has 95,300 miles and had a full rebuild 2,000 miles ago. Stock Bearings, Polished Crank, Resized Rod Bottoms, Rebushed Upper Rod Bushings, ARP Rod Bolts. Of course all new seals, chains, chain ramps, new rings on original pistons and cylinders. The Heads were redone (to stock specs) at a reputable NJ machine shop with all new exhaust valves. I did the assembley with the help of some very respectable 964 guys from around here, but had the bottom end machine work done by a local machine shop. I recently 150 miles ago, pulled the engine to adjust the valves, and installed new filters and Brad Penn 20w 50 oil.

When I bought the car, it was with the knowledge that it had a prior front hit, but the prior owner (a good friend) has extensive experience with 964s. And he bought the car for himself after inspecting the car, with confidence that the repairs were properly done. Our five years of combined ownership haven't shown any evidence to assume otherwise.

He never tracked the car, and I have done about 20 track days with it. Sometihng in the clutch broke on the first day of a three day track event, and I am pulling the engine out again to see WTF went wrong.

When I got the car, I installed a new stock clutch and slave cylinder. I am not sure if my plan is a stock fix, to return it to stock (I still have all the parts, seats, ect) or to upgrade to LFW with an RS clutch.

I have been instructing for quite some time, and there are not many dual purpose cars seeing duty these days in the upper run groups. My inclination at this point is to return the car to stock, and sell it to buy a dedicated track car (probably a spec 944 or Stock Class 944 Turbo). That way, if I wad it up I have the full safety factors, and won't take as big a $$ hit as I would on the RSA.

The fip side is that I know what I have, and am not that far from having a real sweet 964 dedicated track car. The market is kinda a crap-shoot these days. What is it worth, and what would you do?

Thanks,

Alan

Last edited by Alan G.; 06-25-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-25-2010, 05:27 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

95,000 miles...I'd guess $30,000. 964 prices looked like they were hanging on pretty well but they seem to have slipped the last few months. I'm not an expert by any means...just IMHO.

You can remove the AC and add an LSD (easy and cost-effective with the engine out I'd say). Sunroof? Is that really a big deal? Is it a headroom issue?

I'd keep it. You have a great car...a real neat piece of Porsche history.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:19 PM
RSA_27149
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am no expert by any means, but I agree with the above post.
I do know that it's not a good time to be a seller. With previous front end damage, as well as 95,000 miles...I can see you getting more out of it by enjoying it at the track for all that it's worth. The point being is that you already own and know this car. Turn it into a dedicated track car...many other RSA's have already gone down that route.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What I would not do is buy a 944 Turbo for a track car...
Old 06-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
What I would not do is buy a 944 Turbo for a track car...
+1 A buddy has one...NO THANKS
Dwane
Old 06-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by RSA_27149
The point being is that you already own and know this car. Turn it into a dedicated track car...many other RSA's have already gone down that route....
+1
Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What is it YOU want? I see the march toward the upper run group. I was hanging out among it today at Thunderhill. I lost track of how many GT3/RS were out. And me? Actually did the race group in the Spec Miata. Practice/qualify/race 1/race 2. Under 100 miles total, but I am Worn Out tonight. Small fledgling DE/race group (NCRC/ARC), only 18 racers of which 8 were Spec Miata. But I know damn straight I enjoyed myself more than any of the "fast" 997 crowd did. Even Mooty mentioned there was soooo much traffic, and he's running the open passing group. Love my 911s, and I'll be an interested observer at Sears tomorrow with probably 30-35 PRC Porsche racers out there, but spending a ton of money on a DE car isn't what I'd recommend. So whether that means a Spec 944 (go drive one), I'd enjoy what you have wherever it ends up in the Porsche Pecking Order.

Quick Reply: RE: 1993 RSA For Sale