Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift linkage bushing

 
Old 06-27-2010, 12:43 PM
  #31  
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Wachuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Mounted everything back... very hard to shift and would only shift into 2nd and 4th. Can't get it to shift into R, 1, 3, 5

I need to get on a plane in a couple of hours.... thinking of draining the transmission to see if there is some horrible scene in the oil...

Any thoughts?
Wachuko is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 12:58 PM
  #32  
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member
 
AOW162435's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 15,800
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Jamie,
Did you change the length of the forward static rod?

With the car level, the shift lever should be plumb. If it's not, use the threaded front ball cup to shorten or lengthen the rod.


Andreas
AOW162435 is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 01:22 PM
  #33  
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Wachuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by AOW162435 View Post
Jamie,
Did you change the length of the forward static rod?

With the car level, the shift lever should be plumb. If it's not, use the threaded front ball cup to shorten or lengthen the rod.


Andreas
No changes to the lenght. I left it as it was. Something in the tranny is not letting it shift to those gears (all gears in the forward most position). Very, very hard to shift to 2nd and 4th. Clutch engages and disengages without a problem...
Wachuko is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 04:08 PM
  #34  
Gregg-K
User
 
Gregg-K's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 202
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Jaime,

Sounds like the shift rod to the transmission can move fore and aft only enough to select the "rear" gears (2 & 4) , but can not move forward past the neutral position to select the ones in the upper gates.

IIRC, the shifter rod looked kind of rusty where it goes into your transmission. Can the rod move through all its posiitons when disconnected from the shifter mechanism? Worth checking.

Also, wondering if you put the stick in neutral, lubed up the rod and from below, "helped" the rod move with your favorite tool ... I wonder whether it might free up. If not, it's probably a detent that's jamming (had that a few years ago on a Jag transmission), and that sounds like it's time to delve into the G50.

Good luck,
.. Gregg
Gregg-K is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 04:28 PM
  #35  
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Wachuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

The rust is really some cosmoline... I cleaned that. Spraying some WD40 and then some of the other stuff (can't remember the name) it got a little bit loose. This was with the linkage removed. But never got past the neutral position. Even with the car on the lift, me inside trying to shift it and my father-in-law under the car trying to help it a little with some craw bar persuasion... We did not wanted to make it worse so the persuasion was minimal...

Can that area be worked on in situ or tranny must come out?

Originally Posted by Gregg-K View Post
...IIRC, the shifter rod looked kind of rusty where it goes into your transmission. Can the rod move through all its posiitons when disconnected from the shifter mechanism? Worth checking.

Also, wondering if you put the stick in neutral, lubed up the rod and from below, "helped" the rod move with your favorite tool ... I wonder whether it might free up. If not, it's probably a detent that's jamming (had that a few years ago on a Jag transmission), and that sounds like it's time to delve into the G50.

Good luck,
.. Gregg
Wachuko is offline  
Old 06-27-2010, 07:25 PM
  #36  
dfinnegan
Super User
 
dfinnegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NY, USA
Posts: 3,360
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

With the linkage removed did the shifter move freely?

That is, might It be a problem with the shifter internal bushings, etc?
dfinnegan is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 10:51 AM
  #37  
Gregg-K
User
 
Gregg-K's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 202
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Jaime, I don't recall whether you mentioned how the shifting problem came to be ... did it gradually get worse, or was it sudden ?

Fire up PET, and have a look at illustration 304-05, which shows you all the detent mechanisms in the G50 box. I suspect either that one of them is sticking (wont retract), or that one of the mating detent recesses has worn and is jamming its mating plunger (classic vintage Jag Moss box problem).

If the car was in storage in a damp location for a while, the problem could be a bit of rust causing the detent(s) to stick.

If it gradually got worse (as evidenced by the deteriorated shifter bushes), it could be worn detent recesses. Either way, I think you'll have to drop the box to dismantle it.

Good luck,
.. Gregg
Gregg-K is offline  
Old 06-28-2010, 11:08 AM
  #38  
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Wachuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Gregg-K View Post
Jaime, I don't recall whether you mentioned how the shifting problem came to be ... did it gradually get worse, or was it sudden ?

Fire up PET, and have a look at illustration 304-05, which shows you all the detent mechanisms in the G50 box. I suspect either that one of them is sticking (wont retract), or that one of the mating detent recesses has worn and is jamming its mating plunger (classic vintage Jag Moss box problem).

If the car was in storage in a damp location for a while, the problem could be a bit of rust causing the detent(s) to stick.

If it gradually got worse (as evidenced by the deteriorated shifter bushes), it could be worn detent recesses. Either way, I think you'll have to drop the box to dismantle it.

Good luck,
.. Gregg
Thank you Gregg, car was working fine and all of a sudden it got stuck in second.

This is a bummer... car will have to be parked until I can raise the funds for tranny drop and work.
Wachuko is offline  
Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 PM
  #39  
Mc.Queen 964
User
 
Mc.Queen 964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 430
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Jaime I'm sorry to hear that, I hope that you fix it as soon as posible and with
cheap bill.

Happy Christmas!
Mc.Queen 964 is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 01:27 AM
  #40  
g60pops
User
 
g60pops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,209
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

any update on this?
g60pops is offline  
Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 AM
  #41  
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Wachuko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,881
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by g60pops View Post
any update on this?
Nope... car parked until I can raise the funds for a tranny rebuild... and still trying to decide if I take out the engine and tranny myself of leave it all to the shop.

The car will need to sit until September when I can afford the fix.

I did take it out yesterday for a drive (pushed it out the driveway since I can't engage reverse, then drove around in 2nd and 4th)...
Wachuko is offline  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:24 PM
  #42  
RallyDogRacing
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
RallyDogRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 372
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Jamie - hopefully you'll get the cab back on the road soon. I am re-entering the P-car fold having just picked up a '90 C2 Targa this weekend. I missed my C4 (sold for the money to use on a house downpayment) horribly - so when this C2 popped up for a screaming price I grabbed it.

On the test drive the shifter failed on part #15 in the drawing and we were left gearless (vs stuck in 2nd). But a few zip ties allowed me to get back out on the test drive after we saw what the problem was on the lift.

So good luck! And...
I'm baaaaaacccck!
RallyDogRacing is offline  
Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM
  #43  
anto1150
User
 
anto1150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abruzzo (ITALY)
Posts: 578
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

anto1150 is offline  
Old 02-09-2011, 04:18 PM
  #44  
showard1998
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Weston, FL
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I just did the linkage bushing change on my 91 C2 over the weekend using p.n. 928-116-145-03-M100 from Pelican. Very easy to do and the shifter feels much tighter now. I had the same problem where the bushing was eaten away and the rod dropped to the pan leaving the car stuck in second gear. Using the bushing from Pelican is much cheaper than having to buy the entire rod.
showard1998 is offline  
Old 01-01-2018, 06:47 PM
  #45  
WP0ZZZ
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: ROW
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by showard1998 View Post
I just did the linkage bushing change on my 91 C2 over the weekend using p.n. 928-116-145-03-M100 from Pelican. Very easy to do and the shifter feels much tighter now. I had the same problem where the bushing was eaten away and the rod dropped to the pan leaving the car stuck in second gear. Using the bushing from Pelican is much cheaper than having to buy the entire rod.
A couple of days ago I had exactly the same problem: the bushing in part #15 was eaten away and the rod dropped. I'm considering what to do but it seems that using the 928xxxxxxxx bushing is an excellent trick since getting the whole #15 is expensive!!!

Does anyone know if the same bushing 928xxxxxxxx can also be used to replace the bushing in part #16? While I'm at it I may as well renew both...

WP0ZZZ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shift linkage bushing


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: