Sponsored by:

Shift linkage bushing

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Mounted everything back... very hard to shift and would only shift into 2nd and 4th. Can't get it to shift into R, 1, 3, 5

I need to get on a plane in a couple of hours.... thinking of draining the transmission to see if there is some horrible scene in the oil...

Any thoughts?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:58 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Jamie,
Did you change the length of the forward static rod?

With the car level, the shift lever should be plumb. If it's not, use the threaded front ball cup to shorten or lengthen the rod.

Andreas
Old 06-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Jamie,
Did you change the length of the forward static rod?

With the car level, the shift lever should be plumb. If it's not, use the threaded front ball cup to shorten or lengthen the rod.

Andreas
No changes to the lenght. I left it as it was. Something in the tranny is not letting it shift to those gears (all gears in the forward most position). Very, very hard to shift to 2nd and 4th. Clutch engages and disengages without a problem...
Old 06-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jaime,

Sounds like the shift rod to the transmission can move fore and aft only enough to select the "rear" gears (2 & 4) , but can not move forward past the neutral position to select the ones in the upper gates.

IIRC, the shifter rod looked kind of rusty where it goes into your transmission. Can the rod move through all its posiitons when disconnected from the shifter mechanism? Worth checking.

Also, wondering if you put the stick in neutral, lubed up the rod and from below, "helped" the rod move with your favorite tool ... I wonder whether it might free up. If not, it's probably a detent that's jamming (had that a few years ago on a Jag transmission), and that sounds like it's time to delve into the G50.

Good luck,
.. Gregg
Old 06-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Question

The rust is really some cosmoline... I cleaned that. Spraying some WD40 and then some of the other stuff (can't remember the name) it got a little bit loose. This was with the linkage removed. But never got past the neutral position. Even with the car on the lift, me inside trying to shift it and my father-in-law under the car trying to help it a little with some craw bar persuasion... We did not wanted to make it worse so the persuasion was minimal...

Can that area be worked on in situ or tranny must come out?

Originally Posted by Gregg-K
...IIRC, the shifter rod looked kind of rusty where it goes into your transmission. Can the rod move through all its posiitons when disconnected from the shifter mechanism? Worth checking.

Also, wondering if you put the stick in neutral, lubed up the rod and from below, "helped" the rod move with your favorite tool ... I wonder whether it might free up. If not, it's probably a detent that's jamming (had that a few years ago on a Jag transmission), and that sounds like it's time to delve into the G50.

Good luck,
.. Gregg
Old 06-27-2010, 07:25 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

With the linkage removed did the shifter move freely?

That is, might It be a problem with the shifter internal bushings, etc?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jaime, I don't recall whether you mentioned how the shifting problem came to be ... did it gradually get worse, or was it sudden ?

Fire up PET, and have a look at illustration 304-05, which shows you all the detent mechanisms in the G50 box. I suspect either that one of them is sticking (wont retract), or that one of the mating detent recesses has worn and is jamming its mating plunger (classic vintage Jag Moss box problem).

If the car was in storage in a damp location for a while, the problem could be a bit of rust causing the detent(s) to stick.

If it gradually got worse (as evidenced by the deteriorated shifter bushes), it could be worn detent recesses. Either way, I think you'll have to drop the box to dismantle it.

Good luck,
.. Gregg
Old 06-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Gregg-K
Jaime, I don't recall whether you mentioned how the shifting problem came to be ... did it gradually get worse, or was it sudden ?

Fire up PET, and have a look at illustration 304-05, which shows you all the detent mechanisms in the G50 box. I suspect either that one of them is sticking (wont retract), or that one of the mating detent recesses has worn and is jamming its mating plunger (classic vintage Jag Moss box problem).

If the car was in storage in a damp location for a while, the problem could be a bit of rust causing the detent(s) to stick.

If it gradually got worse (as evidenced by the deteriorated shifter bushes), it could be worn detent recesses. Either way, I think you'll have to drop the box to dismantle it.

Good luck,
.. Gregg
Thank you Gregg, car was working fine and all of a sudden it got stuck in second.

This is a bummer... car will have to be parked until I can raise the funds for tranny drop and work.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaime I'm sorry to hear that, I hope that you fix it as soon as posible and with
cheap bill.

Happy Christmas!
Old 02-07-2011, 01:27 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

any update on this?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by g60pops
any update on this?
Nope... car parked until I can raise the funds for a tranny rebuild... and still trying to decide if I take out the engine and tranny myself of leave it all to the shop.

The car will need to sit until September when I can afford the fix.

I did take it out yesterday for a drive (pushed it out the driveway since I can't engage reverse, then drove around in 2nd and 4th)...
Old 02-09-2011, 02:24 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Jamie - hopefully you'll get the cab back on the road soon. I am re-entering the P-car fold having just picked up a '90 C2 Targa this weekend. I missed my C4 (sold for the money to use on a house downpayment) horribly - so when this C2 popped up for a screaming price I grabbed it.

On the test drive the shifter failed on part #15 in the drawing and we were left gearless (vs stuck in 2nd). But a few zip ties allowed me to get back out on the test drive after we saw what the problem was on the lift.

So good luck! And...
I'm baaaaaacccck!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM
anto1150
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-09-2011, 04:18 PM
showard1998
Intermediate

I just did the linkage bushing change on my 91 C2 over the weekend using p.n. 928-116-145-03-M100 from Pelican. Very easy to do and the shifter feels much tighter now. I had the same problem where the bushing was eaten away and the rod dropped to the pan leaving the car stuck in second gear. Using the bushing from Pelican is much cheaper than having to buy the entire rod.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:47 PM
WP0ZZZ
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by showard1998
I just did the linkage bushing change on my 91 C2 over the weekend using p.n. 928-116-145-03-M100 from Pelican. Very easy to do and the shifter feels much tighter now. I had the same problem where the bushing was eaten away and the rod dropped to the pan leaving the car stuck in second gear. Using the bushing from Pelican is much cheaper than having to buy the entire rod.
A couple of days ago I had exactly the same problem: the bushing in part #15 was eaten away and the rod dropped. I'm considering what to do but it seems that using the 928xxxxxxxx bushing is an excellent trick since getting the whole #15 is expensive!!!

Does anyone know if the same bushing 928xxxxxxxx can also be used to replace the bushing in part #16? While I'm at it I may as well renew both...

Quick Reply: Shift linkage bushing